Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lasik in Munich

16 posts in this topic

Posted

getting serious about having my eyes done...Has anyone here had lasik surgery experience in Munich? any recommendations are highly appreciated!

cheers,

Mandy

Posted

Mandy, what you need to have fixed with your eyes? Usually the best reputation in eye doctoring have the university clinics of Tuebingen and Heidelberg, europe-wide. Munich's Mathildenstrasse clinic is quite good as well, in some cases.

Posted

thanks postmann,

well i have terribly poor eyesight, like -9,0 each, and i have finally figured that no risk can be worse than this plus the pain of daily lenses...

dont know if anyone out there has done that in munich b4 so...

Posted

Years ago I was informed that you don't have to laser all the way to normality, but just to a smaller near-sightedness (hope I caught it right!), so the glasses can be smaller and more comfortable to wear.

Prof. Dr. Boergen at the university's eye clinic retired just some two years, otherwise I'd have suggested to request his opinion before they pull the knife on you. ;) Alternatively, years ago, I've heard quite good reports from Augenklinik Herzog Carl Theodor, however more general talk, not specifically related to laser surgery.

Posted

I also had terrible vision, I could barely read a beer bottle unless I held it very close to my face (perhaps that was an effect of the beer...). I kept putting off having my eyes done, out of fear, mostly. The final turning point came while I was at a rather wild concert and my glasses were knocked of while pogoing in the pit. I couldn't see anything and, as I was there by car, had no idea how I was going to get home. I finally did find my glasses, luckily still intact, but the decision was made.

I had them done at the same place my wife had hers done about 2 years before, Dr.Linke, near the Haptbahnhof. http://www.4linkeaugen.de/

I couldn't be happier. They have an excellent reputation, but may be a little more expensive than others. I was willing to pay for the quality and security of having a well-established doctor doing the procedure. Both my wife and I are extremely happy. They will do a free consultation and let you know if you are a candidate for the procedure. I felt very comfortable through the whole process.

Posted

Years ago I was informed that you don't have to laser all the way to normality, but just to a smaller near-sightedness (hope I caught it right!), so the glasses can be smaller and more comfortable to wear.

Prof. Dr. Boergen at the university's eye clinic retired just some two years, otherwise I'd have suggested to request his opinion before they pull the knife on you. Alternatively, years ago, I've heard quite good reports from Augenklinik Herzog Carl Theodor, however more general talk, not specifically related to laser surgery.

I couldn't see risking the procedure and then still having to wear glasses. I mean, what's the point?

Also, there is no "knife" anymore, unless you were speaking metaphorically. All incisions and reshaping are made with a laser. That is if you have id done properly. Only 2nd rate or very cheap doctors would still be using a knife to make the initial incision.

Posted

to RickMunich,

thanks a lot for the insightful info, i am calling them for an appointment!

Posted

I had lasik earlier this year at the Euroeyes clinic (Bayerstrasee 3). They gave me a choice of 3 surgeons; all of whom were very experienced and clearly well-respected in the field (I checked recent publish papers to confirm this). I chose Dr Lege and she completed all of my consultations, and the surgery, in faultless English. I had agreed this in advance with the clinic as I didn't feel comfortable having the surgery with German narration. She was also very calm and professional. My initial surgery was back in Mar-11. My pre-surgery prescription was -5.5 in both eyes. The surgery went smoothly and I didn't experience any significant side-effects; just some dry eye for a couple of weeks. However, it was clear with a day or two of surgery that they had under-corrected (i.e. my vision was still a little blurry). This is not particularly unusual (about 15% I think). I waited my 3 months to be sure it had settled and then had repeat surgery. This was VERY straightforward and quick, with no side-effects whatsoever...not even dry eye. In the re-surgery they don't have to cut a new flap, they use the old one. This is why there is generally less trauma associated.

I now have the sharpest vision of my life and am wandering round noticing detail that I didn't know existed in the world. The vision I am experiencing is miles better than I ever got with contact lenses and also better than any glasses I have owned.

I would recommend the Euroeyes clinic and particularly Dr Lege if you are uncomfortable with having these things done in German; as I was.

Downsides...1) Cost (5000 EUR...ouch!) and 2)The waiting times at the clinic on occasions were far too long.

PM me if you want more detail.

Posted

Sorry for digging up an old thread. But I wonder if anyone has undergone Lasik surgery at Munich recently? It has been 1.5 years since the last post and I would like to see if there is any updated recommendation on the clinic/doctor. Thanks.

Posted

It was a year ago, but I also had Lasik with Dr. Lege at EuroEyes. I highly recommend her and Lasik in general.

Posted

I had LASIK done last Friday at SmileEyes Augenklinik Airport. They were recommended by my health insurance (Huk Coburg, who also got me a €1000 discount and provided coverage of €500 per eye, significantly reducing my out-of-pocket costs). I am still recovering so can't 100% comment on the results, but I can say that the staff was friendly and helpful and I had no problem doing the whole process in English. My favorite part was that they are one of only a few places in Germany who do a new process called ReLex SMILE, which is much less invasive than standard LASIK.

GS

Posted

I think mine was around EUR 3800, but it varies somewhat depending on the eyes.

Posted

Hi gswearengin,

Would you mind telling me how is the result of your Lasik treatment?

Posted

Hi gswearengin,

Posted

Hi gswearengin,