English speakers in Wismar/surrounding areas

23 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there,

I give up! I don't know where you guys are hiding yourselves, but if you're out there and you speak English, I'd be interested in meeting up. I'm an American whose only English-speaking friend has abandoned her for the States. And as much as I've fought it, I find friendship is just not the same in German. There's always this feeling of being misunderstood, like they think they know me, but they really have no idea who I am. (Maybe there's a forum on that, on language barriers.)

Anyway I noticed a Rostock group, but the posts I found didn't seem to be current. Do you still meet? Might be a possibility.

Posted

There are quite a few of us English speakers in Rostock. Dozens. And there are certainly events, although most of them aren't organized on Toytown. I don't know how short a trip it is from Wismar to Rostock?

Posted

Hey, here I am, over here in Rostock :) and believe me, like Dan said, there's dozens more in the Rostock area. If you're willing to make the 45 minute drive this way I'm sure we could organize a meet up. I totally hear you about the feeling of being misunderstood. My English speaking friends know me really well because I can express myself better, of course, in English but I know my German friends don't really get me sometimes because for one, my sense of humor is limited in English. I feel, in German, I'm a pretty boring person :). But either way, I enjoy good company whether in English or German.

Posted

Yeah, boring and quiet, too. When were you ever known as 'the quiet one'? Meanwhile you're jumping out of your skin trying to form a cohesive German sentence before the topic shifts. Hey, wait! The topic shifts. Now you're the quiet, fidgety, brooding one.

Well, thanks for your posts Dan and TexaninRostock. Crazy how many people read these things (45 or something). Maybe we'll meet up sometime, though Dan was a little elusive and I'm still not sure where one might find out about these many happenings -- outside of the ladies' gatherings (thank you TiR).

Posted

Ha ha, you said it pronoia, trying to form a proper sentence before the topic changes. I think our problem, as adults, as that we think too much and worry about making mistakes. Or how about when you're with a group and they're all talking away and when you FINALLY have a chance to say something everyone is suddenly quiet and listen intently what you have to say (or more likely how you say it :) ). Yes, I hope we do get to meet up. In fact, there might be something brewing for the end February. If we meet up I will definitely let you know.

Posted

I gave up on the caring about my mistakes. :) My coworkers deal with it, and my German is considered süß by them.

I am not sure about meet ups, as I haven't been invited to any in awhile. I do hear english off and on around here so there are English speakers. I have no idea about Wismar as it is so small.

Posted

Yes Amber, people always say my German is süß as well, but I hate hearing my accent. oh well, there's no changing that. About meet ups, I don't plan them anymore as it was just getting to be too much for me with work and family. One lady was trying to get with me to plan something for February and I just sent her everyone's email addresses to send the invite. But I've yet to hear from her since.

Posted

Wismar English 'Stammtisch'---------

Next meeting....

Wednesday April 6th ...Börner's Keller, 12 Lübsche Str. Wismar, 20.00hrs

Posted

Thetrotter

For the Wismar English 'Stammtisch', must I be invited or can I show up as a newbee?

I have been in Wismar area for 8 months and would like to come to a meeting.

Posted

The Knuth

Open to all -any nationality - just speak English. Nothing formal, just a drink and chat.

Look forward to meeting newcomers

Posted

Next Meet-up will be on May 4th at 20:00 in Börner's Keller as per usual.

However having just noticed the following mail from Ali maybe the should men get together somewhere else!!!

"Our next Get Together will be Wednesday 4th May at 8p.m. in Börners Keller where we will, amongst other things, be discussing the bride's dress...

Posted

you know, just to throw a suggestion out there, I'd recommend you sign up for "couch surfing" (couchsurfing.net) you could find lots of people who speak English and probably mostly Americans traveling cheap. You don't necessarily have to host any of them but you could try and reach out to people around the area who use that. Maybe they are traveling through the area, maybe the work near by or even live in the Wismar area. Wer weiß? :)

Posted

Hello English speaking people :)

Me and my husband moved in to Germany in December'10 and live in very quiet town of Neustad-Glewe... He is British and I have dual nationality British and Polish. Cutting it short, it would be lovely to get in touch with some English speaking people... dont mind a bit of a drive :)

Posted

uhm soooo ok ur post is now 1 1/2 yrs old but its worth a shot :) did u find any english speakin ppl in Wismar? and if so WHERE??? I'm actually German but I just moved back here after 2 yrs in the States and I swear ther German language and mentality kinda drives me nuts :/

let me know

Anne

Posted

hi ya,

i am German by origin but have lived in the UK and New Zealand for 9 years. I had the very same problem you described just the other way around. it took ages for my english friends to find out that i am actually quite funny and got very great humor. and it took me ages too to finally think and feel in english to be able to follow conversations and join in in time before the topic changed.

So you see, its everywhere the same and you are not alone with it. Its not a German 'thing'.

Now i am back in Germany due to some 'changes in private life' and loss of work and i have to admit, as much as i resisted the english way and life in the beginning and 'found the grass is greener on the other side' and painted germany in a only positive picture as much i do miss england and the language and mentality now.

I currently live in Greifswald and would be very happy meeting some english speaking fellows.

Annett

Posted

Oh yes I would be interested in an english meetup in Wismar too- I am moving back to that area next month.

Posted

Hi,

I've since gone back to the States, BUT last I heard the Wismar 'Stammtisch' was still active. Maybe you could try calling Börner's Keller, which is mainly where the group met up on Wednesdays at 8 I believe.

Have fun!

Posted

Hey guys,

I know I'm mega late to reply but I live in Wismar, have been here 4 years in September and would LOVE to meet up with some people who speak English!

Posted

Hi Effie,

"Like" Cafe Frieda Insel Poel on Facebook to get regular news about our events. Can't promise when our next English "Fun, Food & Frolics" event will be, but if there is enough interest we will have one!

Andy & Kathy Gordon

Posted

Oh yes, I would love to attend an English event at Cafe Frieda. I also teach English conversation at the VHS Wismar so I can tell my students to come!

Posted

Anyone Around the lübeck area? I am dying to have some new friends. I feel so alone here