Arenalingua Feedback (Frankfurt)

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has experience of working for Arenalingua. Any feedback regarding teaching methods/pay/general experience?

Thanks! :)

N

Posted

I'm registered with arealingua and I never received any hours from them . I know of a few others who are trainers and never received any hours for work with them. It seems they may just want people to help build their database in certain areas and if an opportunity arises they will call you. I would not depend on them for a steady income

Posted

I work for them in the NRW area. They do a lot of in company work here. SO if you are willing to travel to companies than they might have more for you. In addition, they recently started an online learning program that also requires some face time. I am not sure if it is in Frankfurt yet, but that can be an opportunity for some regular hours as each session is 4 hours.

They (like most schools) are not the best paid jobs, but they do pay promptly and provide all materials for the courses. Good Luck!

Posted

Thanks a lot! That's helpful to know :)

Posted

I wanted to see if anyone else had any experiences with this company?

I'd like to apply for any position in Germany (not just Frankfurt).

I went to their website but didn't see anything about basic requirements?

Posted

basic requirements seem to be a university degree of some kind and being a native speaker of the language you wish to teach. most people i know who work for arenalingua also have some other favourable background. either they've worked in business (most students will be business english) or they had a language related job (journalist, linguist, writer etc). however i work for them and most of my background is in science.

this seems to be the basicrequirement fro most english teaching jobs.

my overall impression of working for them is alright. i prefer teaching my private students, but i get more hours with arenalingua. admin can be rather disorganised, but as long as u stay on top of your own stuff it really isnt much of a problem. just a tad frustrating.

i mostly have classes in the frankfurt area these days. but in the beginning had to take stuff a bit further out.

Posted

I had an interview at Arenalingua about 6 months ago I think and I thought the Director seemed competent and the school fine, but I was a bit suprised at wages that were on offer. They offered me 15 euro per UE, and told me that was only because I had a CELTA. Those without CELTAs would be paid 13 euros!!

So, they obviously do accept people with no teaching qualification, they just pay them even less. I'm sure there was a week or so of Arenalingua traning to complete, but this is regardless of whether you have experience/qualifications or not.

I don't know if these wages are still current, but I imagine people move on pretty quickly if they are, as every other school I have interviewed with pays more than that, and some substantially so.

Posted

They bully. Generally the bullying is acted out explicitly by "managers". The bullying puts all staff, not just those who are being directly bullied, into a state of fear. Once we are in that state we are not able to be positive or creative; it is demotivating, demoralising and debilitating.

Posted

Admin fails to praise; threaten and discipline trainers instead of offering constructive criticism. Don’t know how to listen to people.

Posted

No Trust. Admin completely micro manages staff and trainers.

Posted

Reactive Amin puts significant amounts of stress on both the trainers and staff

Posted

Politics and Inequity

Work place ‘politics’ is demotivating and disruptive to staff and trainers. Unequal and unfair treatment of trainers is especially demoralising.

Posted

Annoying posters

People who can't formulate their ideas into one coherent post and instead make a thread look like a badly designed restaurant drinks menu.

Posted

Had a bad experience with them. BTW avoid The New Language School - Heussenstamm like a plague.

Posted

I know some trainers who have worked, and still do work for him and they're quite happy. Sometimes people have a bad experience with a language school, but that doesn't mean everyone does. Maybe you could tell us why teachers should avoid this school, it would give us a clearer picture.

Posted

Don't know who him is but...

Demotivating, demoralising and debilitating; Arenalingua likes to bully and intimidate their trainers.

Course allotment is unequal and unfair. If you don’t do as they say, they threaten and discipline you with “no more courses for you”. There is no system in place for receiving courses.

If you have a work related problem, there is no complaints procedure.

Everything is an emergency.

Euro per UE is now less than before the finance crises, and discontinued travel costs have not been reinstated.

Early or late hours, under all weather conditions, you get to hurry from place to place where essentially you make lots of money for somebody else and then are asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so.

Posted

Had a bad experience with them. BTW avoid The New Language School - Heussenstamm like a plague.

Sorry, the "him" I was talking about is the owner of The New Language School in Heusenstamm.

Posted

Well, I can't speak for Arenalingua Frankfurt, but I have done work for Arenalingua Stuttgart and Arenalingua Munich and both were OK. I didn't get a huge number of hours from them because I lived some way out of the area where they did most of their work, but I taught a few courses for them, mostly business English for engineers. The pay wasn't brilliant, but it was better than some of the other chain operations and they did pay some travel costs (not a huge amount, but hey, they paid).

I was never bullied or intimidated I don't bully easily anyway, but then I didn't have that much contact with the office. My experience is a bit limited as they never made up a major part of my income, but if I'd stayed in the area I'd happily have continued to teach courses for them.

Posted

Sorry, the "him" I was talking about is the owner of The New Language School in Heusenstamm.

He is a good salesman friendly and all that would make one buy from a salesman. His wife runs the place and OMG she is nasty and intimidating. Its like walking on egg shells and no one ever knows which side she woke up on. Just be sure to get paid before you hand in your resignation, otherwise...