Mad Travel Axe Blog

37 posts in this topic

Posted

Thanks, Maddie. I've never read a blog. For you, I'll do anything. Well, almost.

Take care and don't eat any bad bhagis.

Posted

There seems to be a problem with the sign-up.

I'd love to follow your blog, as I' suffering from a bit of Fernweh myself atm.

Edit: There was no problem singing up.

I don't know what I was expecting, possibly a fanfare for being the 100th subscriber. I honestly don't know :rolleyes:

Posted

Good one MAM, my girlfriend and her friend want to go travelling India for a month soon so I will pass this onto them! Enjoy your time there, how long are you there for?

p.s. if you're in the jungle and that be sure to keep an eye on any bites you receive weeks/months after, and go get them checked if they don't heal; you don't want to get leishmaniasis :ph34r: (was listening to Ben Fogle's awesome exploits and heard he contracted this after a stint in the jungle)

Posted

There seems to be a problem with the sign-up.

I didn't have any problems. Very interesting reading, it's nice following MAM on his quest.

Posted

I am glad I signed up. It makes for great reading. I love your way of bringing it very much alive.

Posted

You can sign up your Email address if you wish to receive notification when future entries appear.

Any chance of an RSS feed?

Posted

I think that I signed up for the future entries notices but am not sure it was successful.

Would someone please notify on this thread when you receive the first one?

Thanks!

Posted

I just read MAM's update and what a fascinating trip he is having.

I tried to leave a comment for him but kept getting this

Only a-z, A-Z, 0-9,_- and space allowed in comment

I removed virtually all punctuation including apostrophes and it still won't send.

I have never followed a blog before or tried to reply to one.

Could someone please clarify what I need to do?

THANKS

Posted

Great to read your blog. I am now a follower.

If you get the chance, head north in spring. If you want to avoid the "traveller" scene, head to Delhi then up north to places like Dehra Dun and Mussoorie. Manali is supposed to be the "cool" place to go, which sounds a turn off to me tbh, but is a great gateway for the awesome two day trip to Ladakh which is like Tibet. For the real non-tourist Himalaya head to Haldwani then Naini Tal then the Kumaon Himal. I met no Westerners there in '95.

Posted

Fruity I've relaxed the input verification, you should find most things go now. So try your comments again.

No plans for an RSS feed. Among other things, I'd have to find out what it is

Posted

i enjoyed the blog and it was a good read..

Glad to know you are enjoying your stay in India..have fun and keep writing

Posted

I've relaxed the input verification,

Can you link up the Warp Core to the Phase Transducers while you're at it?

Posted

The phase transducers have now been integrated into the warp core. Did anybody notice?

Posted

I bought some 500g lychees this morning, and they were crap. Small, not juicy and not ripe.

Then this afternoon I bought 1.5kg of fine lychees, but still had the crap ones, and almost immediately bumped into a Baba naga. They're men, half naked, smeared in ash, carrying a trident, and close friends with Shiva God of destruction. They're scary fucks if you believe in that kind of shit, and can totally curse you awfully.

He said give me lychees, and I gave him one. He said give me more, and I gave him more. He said give me more, and I had an awesome idea. I said no, and put them in my backpack with the crap lychees. He started getting ready to curse me, and I pretended to change my mind and dug out the bag of crap lychees, and pretended to be scared, and said you can have them all, please don't curse me.

And he smiled, and said I should have a photograph sitting beside him which I totally did, and then he shared the crap lychees with his friends who were ordinary people, not baba nagas, but everybody was happy because he had lots of lychees, and I'd got rid of the crap lychees I didn't want to eat, but hate throwing things away, and everybody was smiling, and I felt like I'd kicked Shiva's ass, which is awesome if you believe in that kind of thing.

post-230-13077106100406_thumb.jpg

Goos story Madaxe. I came across those stoned Sadhus very often on my travels. They always have a chillum in their hand.

Posted

No Jeremy he wasn't a sadhu. Sadhus smoke all the time, and are cheerful and largely harmless. This was a baba naga, and the white stuff on his body is the ashes of cremated people, and he wasn't smoking, and didn't offer me any of the chillum he wasn't smoking, which is kind of ok.

But lots of people are totally scared of baba nagas, because they drink out of human skulls, and curse people, and represent Shiva. That's why they carry a trident, and can curse you dead or worse.

Posted

Especially if someone gives them crap lychees.