Prepaid SIM cards for mobile phones

96 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all!

I want to buy a prepaid card for my handy, hence I don't need to buy a new handy phone, I need only the prepaid card for calling in Germany. Do you know the cheapest way to buy this prepaid card?

Thank you a lot in advance!

Cheers,

Pietro

Posted

ask one of the guys leaving for their old cards..it will be of no use to them when they head back home. u can then recharge it ..

Make them an offer of a beer or 2 and they will not refuse .. trust me!

Posted

Simyo is getting rave reviews in all the press at the moment. €19.95 to sign up (includes €10 credit) , with calls to all landlines and mobiles at 19cents per minute (60/1). Cheaper still is SIMply - €19.95 to sign up (€15 credit) and all calls at 18cents/minute (60/10)...

No contract, no commitment, use it or lose it...

On balance, SIMply is probably better, as not only is is cheaper per minute, but the have D1 and D2 services, whereas Simyo is E-Plus, who's coverage is not quite as good...

Taking over somebody elses card is risky. Many of the older pre-paid cards are expensive (30-40 cents/minute, (60/60)) and you should, in theory re-register the card into your name. Not to do so is illegal...

YL6

Posted

Hello,

i'm going to live in germany for some months and i was interested in buying a pre-paid card for my mobile phone.

i tried searching on the web but all the mobile providers website are in german and i do not understand anything :(

i just need a prepaid card to receive calls without paying the roaming and make international calls as i won't have nor fixed phone nor internet in my future apartment in germany.

Could you please advice me a cheap mobile provider ? i know that now there are many new virtual operators, cheaper than old one, but as i said before i don't understand their webiste,

thanks in advance

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Teltarif.de provides a comparison of the discount prepaid deals.

"Preis der Karte" is the one-time purchase cost of the card

"Enthaltenes Guthaben" is the credit you get on purchase

"Guthabengültigkeit" is the validity of the credit

"Taktung" is the charging unit

"Gesprächspreise" is the call costs:

"Festnetz" calls to landlines

"Mobilfunknetze" calls to mobiles

"netzinterne Gespräche" calls to the same network

"Mobilbox-Abruf" calls to your mailbox

"SMS-Preise" cost per SMS

"Netz" host network

"Handyangebote" special offers for phone handsets.

For basic calls, Simply currently beats the pants off anyone else at 8.5cents/minute to all networks. It's based on the T-mobile network which generally has the better coverage, especially out of town.

Posted

I just changed to simyo. 9.9 cent calls to landlines and mobiles and also for SMS's. Internet surfing costs just 24 cents a MB charged at 10 KB intervals.

Posted

T-Mobile have an offer for €10 and that includes €10 credit, so no sign up fee and .05 to t-mob phones and 19 all others.

Posted

Aldi talk has the cheapest deal.Initial cost is 15€ which includes 10€ credit as well.Aldi to Aldi is 3 cents/min & Aldi to all other networks (both fixed & mobile)is 13 cents/min.Charging pulse is 60/1 i.e 60 secs for the first minutes and one second for the subsequent minutes.Network is based in E-plus and has very good coverage.

They are now offering flat rate option(without any contract obligation) as well .For 15€ per month, Aldi to Aldi & Aldi to Fixed Line is free(within Germany) & Aldi to all other mobile networks is 13cents/min.

They have good International roaming services as well

Posted

Aldi talk has the cheapest deal.

Wrong, currently Simply has the cheapest deal per minute.

E-plus and has very good coverage.

Wrong again, E-Plus coverage outside cities is not as good as T-mobile or Vodafone.

Posted

Wrong, currently Simply has the cheapest deal per minute.

It all depends on your telephoning profile. If all your calls last 65 seconds and/or you have lots of friends with Aldi-based numbers, then Aldi is MUCH cheaper than Simply. On a simple per-minute basis, then Simply is cheaper than Aldi.

All clever marketing.

Posted

Simply has a Simply Partner package (Tarif Table), where the rates are nearby same as that of ALDI.

Posted

Simply has a Simply Partner package (Tarif Table), where the rates are nearby same as that of ALDI.

So they may seem, until you take into account the Aldi 60/1 charging advantage, which makes them quite a bit cheaper for any call over 60 seconds. A 61 second call will Aldi is almost half the price of the equivalent with Simply. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Simply customer and strong proponent of their services, but you simply (!) can't make a direct comparison and say either is cheaper than the other, because it depends on the circumstances.

Posted

Thanks to all of you,

I saw symio and simply websites but i am not able to find the price of international calls :(

which is the cheapest german mobile provider to call a spanish or italian fixed and mobile phone?

Posted

The rates of 01051mobile are competitive. This is already discussed in Prepaid mobile service from 01051. They claim 5ct/min to fixed lines in Spain/Italy and 25ct/min to mobiles.

Another option is to take any connection and use a call through service like DialNow. Total cost will be the rate to call a German fixed line (8.5ct/min in case of Simplytel) plus dialnow costs (0.5 cents/min to Italy and free as of now to Spain).

Posted

is anyone using fonic? am debating between simply, aldi, and fonic...

Posted

Unless you are a heavy SMSer (in which case Fonic is 4 cents/SMS cheaper), Simply is better with cheaper calls, and better network coverage. Simply currently offer their service for a one-time €4.98 (Fonic is €9.95) which includes €5 of phone credit (fonic: none) and also have a special offer of 10 minutes of calls free per month to anyone signing up before this coming Sunday

Posted

Went on to Teltarif.de and what YL6 says is true, its a toss up between simyo and AldiTalk.We are talking mini cents difference here.

Posted

just getting myself a cheap pre-paid mobile here so thought i'd throw in my two cents...

maxxim.de seems to be the cheapest at 8c per min/per sms

if you dont want to wait on the post you can buy a citymobile one which is 9c per min/per sms, at saturn on alexanderplatz

cheapest handset i found was a nokia at media markt, at many places including alexa at alexanderplatz

if you and friends were all on aldi talk then that seems best as its super cheap between aldi users, 3c per min/sms i think

heres a website that compares different offers: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/germany.html

Posted

Don't forget Edeka Mobile...? I'm not sure about the specific costs, but when I bought one starter kit, it was 5 euros, and got 10 euros worth of credit. I've only used Edeka when in Germany, but my friend who is a poor college student uses it all the time. He uses Skype to call people for longer phone chats.

Posted

Hey guys, i was wondering if SIMply, ALDI and Fonic are still the best? Which one has the best coverage? (i'll be near Hanover). Also, i'll have my own phone and my budget is max 15, but could push to 20euros. However, i dont want a contract and im a texter! Thanks :D