La Leche League Breastfeeding meetings in English

67 posts in this topic

Posted

Are you pregnant or nursing? Would you like to learn more about breastfeeding or meet other nursing mothers?

La Leche League offers monthly meetings in English for expecting and nursing mothers in the English-speaking Catholic Mission, Landsberger Str. 39, 80339 München. (MVV: Tram 18/19 to Schrenkstrasse, U4/U5 to Schwanthaler Höhe or S-Bahn to Hackerbrücke. Parking in the area is difficult!!!)

La Leche League is an international, nonprofit organization dedicated to providing education, information, support, and encouragement to women who want to breastfeed. Discussions include the how-to s of breastfeeding, preparing for birth and breastfeeding, working and breastfeeding, how to know if baby is latched on properly, or getting enough milk, dealing with a fussy baby, adjusting to parenthood, sleep issues, introducing solids, and weaning.

Next meeting: Tuesday, January 11th, between 10:00 and 12:00 noon

For further information contact: Catherine.Pilgram@lalecheliga.de or phone Cathy on 6804925.

Posted

The next La Leche League Meeting will take place on 8th February from 10 am - 12 noon at the above address.

Please contact Cathy on 089 6804925 or email Catherine.Pilgram@lalecheliga.de

Posted

Did you know that although about 90 % of mothers in Germany initiate breastfeeding, by 2 months the number of mothers still breastfeeding goes down to about two thirds and by 6 months about half of all babies born in Bavaria are no longer receiving any breastmilk? Find out what you can do to increase your chances of breastfeeding success.

The next La Leche League meeting will be on Tuesday March 8th (Faschingsdienstag!!) from 10 am - 12 noon at the above address.

Posted

The next La Leche League Meeting will take place on 12th April from 10.10 am - 12 noon at the above address. (Please note that I can't get into the room until just before 10.00 am!)

Posted

This is great. I never knew there were meetings in English. I was always too nervous to attend the German ones. My pediatrician said something like what you posted in #3, I just found that so unbelievable. There is a group on FB, Parents in Munich, would it be ok if I shared info for the next meeting over there?

Posted

FYI : There is also a bilingual open group at the Eltern Kind Zentrum Schwabing Maxvorstadt every Monday 12 - 2.00. The group leader, Verena also has breast feeding training and lived in the States for a few years.

Feel free to stop by or even organize another group if you're looking for a space to meet.

Posted

The next La Leche League Meeting will take place on 3rd May from 10.10 am - 12 noon at the above address. (Please note that I can't get into the room until just before 10.00 am!)

Posted

The next La Leche League meeting will take place on Tuesday 7th June from 10.10 am - 12.00 noon at the English-speaking Catholic Mission in Landsberger Strasse 39.

Please contact Cathy on 680425 or email Catherine.Pilgram@lalecheliga.de

Posted

Sorry, there was a typing error in my phone number - it is 089 6804925!

Posted

I am so happy to find La Leche League´s meeting in Germany. Thanks for your good work. Is it possible to appoint a meeting on 8th of June as I am busy at university on 7th of June? (Tuesdays I have lessons from 10.00 till 16.00). I do want to participate. I have read much literature but still need lectures leaded by expertise. Many thanks in advance :)

Posted

The next La Leche League Meeting will take place on 12th July from 10.10 am - 12 noon in the French-speaking Mission, Landsberger Str. 39. (Note the change - the secretary from the English-speaking mission is on holiday that week!)

Our topic for the meeting is "Sense and Nonsense in Parenting Books". If you have a favourite quote (either positive or negative) or some piece of advice that puzzles you, please bring it along.

Posted

The next La Leche League Meeting will take place on 9th August from 10.10 am - 12 noon in the English-speaking Mission, Landsberger Str. 39.

Our topic for the meeting is "Starting solids without pressure or haste". However, you are welcome to come with other breastfeeding questions.

Posted

The next La Leche League Meeting will take place on 13th September from 10.10 am - 12 noon in the English-speaking Mission, Landsberger Str. 39.

Please contact Cathy on 089 6804925 or email Catherine.Pilgram@lalecheliga.de. As I am going on holiday from September 3rd - September 11th I may not be able to answer straight away!

Posted

Catherine, good time of the day.

I have an urgent question to you.

My daughter is 2 weeks old, we have breastfeeding on demand. Now she can require the breast every 15-20 minutes. Our midwife says that we should have a regime :) In midwife's opinion my girl should eat every 3 hours.

Also, she check her weight every day. I tried to explain that is not advisable, the best way to check weight every week or rarely.

I am interested in your opinion whether I do everything right or I should change anything?

I will be very happy to attend LLL meetings but unfortunately can not make it because of baby and lessons at the university.

I will highly appreciate if you reply me here or just pm me.

Many thanks in advance.

Posted

I am no lactation constultant or anything, but I have nursed each of my kids nearly 2 years each.

In my opinion, nursing on demand is best, especially in the beginning. Some babies need more sucking action and aren't actually hungry, your baby could be one of those. Some babies are just hungry and your baby could be one :). Some babies only like to drink small amounts at a time because they have small stomachs. At 2 wks there is nothing to worry about with a schedule or what not.

Baby weights are just like anyone elses and can fluctuate from day to day/time to time. The best way to check is at the same time everyday (if you are going to check everyday), like as soon as the baby wakes. The baby needs to be completely naked, then weighed. Let the baby nurse to its content. Put the baby back on the scale, naked. Then subtract the difference. That is how much the baby is drinking. If the baby after a week (or sometime) is consistently gaining there shouldn't be a problem.

Also the easiest way to check if baby is drinking enough, is to count the dirty diapers in a day.

Some babies do suffer failure to thrive and mothers may suffer lack of milk production, but both are highly unlikely.

Oh and you don't have to have a schedule if you don't want one, ever. Many women only nurse on demand letting the child chose to eat when it wants. But many argue it is easier to have a schedule because it is more consistent. You are the mom you decide :)

Good luck and let me know how everything turns out!

Posted

The next La Leche League Meeting will take place on 11th October from 10.10 am - 12 noon in the English-speaking Mission, Landsberger Str. 39.

Please contact Cathy on 089 6804925 or email Catherine.Pilgram@lalecheliga.de.

Posted

Joy, your hebamme is giving you bad information and setting you up for failure. Babies need to nursed by demand, not be put on a schedule. kellymom.com is an excellent resource, see here in particular for newborn nursing.

Posted

The next La Leche League Meeting will take place on Tuesday 8th November in the English-speaking Catholic Mission in Landsberger Strasse 39 from 10.10 am - 12 noon.

Please contact Cathy on 6804925 or email Catherine.Pilgram@lalecheliga.de

P.S.

Chance to get extra funds for La Leche Liga Deutschland

A bank in Germany is offering 1000 euros to the 1000 most popular clubs in Germany. La Leche Liga Deutschland has registered and you can vote for them online. You have to leave your email address. You can use more than one email address and you get up to three votes per email address. As LLL could do with more money I would really appreciate it if you could vote for them. Here is the link:

https://verein.ing-diba.de/sonstiges/324...-deutschland-ev

If this does not work, go to www.lalecheliga.de and follow the links there.

You have to click twice for each vote. You click on "Stimme abgeben" and then they send you an automated email. When you follow the link they send you you click on "Stimme abgeben" again. Only then will it count your vote. You need to do this 3 times if you vote 3 times for LLL.

The organisers have assured LLL that the addresses will not be passed on or used for advertising purposes.

Deadline for voting is 15th November 2011

Posted

The next La Leche League Meeting will take place on Tuesday 13th December in the English-speaking Catholic Mission in Landsberger Strasse 39 from 10.10 am - 12 noon.

Posted

The next La Leche League Meeting will take place on Tuesday 10th January in the English-speaking Catholic Mission in Landsberger Strasse 39 from 10.10 am - 12 noon.