Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Maternity benefits in Germany

87 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Everybody,

Does anybody know the rules for Mutterschaft's geld?

What are the criteria? How much money one can get for a first baby?

cheers,

Posted

Can you read German? There is tonnes of stuff along the lines of FAQs on the web.

When I was pregnant I made an apointment with Pro Familia (there is one in Scwhabing) and they took my income details and worked everything out for me. Very friendly and for free.

Perhaps you can ask if someone speaks English there, they deal with a lot of foreigners so its likely.

Posted

Are you an employee? If so, at around 34 weeks you ask your gyno for a note stating your babies due date. You send that note to your health insurance, you will be on maternity leave by then. Your normal salary will be paid for up to the birthdate. When the baby is born, you should receive 4 forms from the registary office, one of them is for your health insurance, they then pay for the next 8 weeks. If your baby is late, you will 'earn' a little more.

ok?

Posted

If you are employed, you have to tell them right away that you are pregnant - workers protection laws and all that. (I myself got an inquisatory phone call from HR when I was about 6 months on with my second - maybe they were afraid to ask if I was just getting fat before that).

Posted

I myself got an inquisatory phone call from HR when I was about 6 months on with my second - maybe they were afraid to ask if I was just getting fat before that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That happened to me too, went to visit my old work when I was five months pregnant with 2nd child - one girl felt sorry for me as I hadn't shifted the weight from the first pregnacy. Ruddy cheek!

Posted

Yeah, well, I haven't lost the weight from the second one ... :unsure:

Posted

Just to add a few notes

Mutterschaftsgeld is the equivalent of paid maternity leave. The gesetzliche Krankenkasse pay you 13 Euros per day of this leave (6 weeks before and 8 weeks after the birth) in a lump sum after you send the birth certificate already mentioned (its free). Your employer makes up the difference to your net salary. Twins, c-sections get a couple weeks extra I think.

There are other types of support for families with children

Kindergeld

Erziehungsgeld

I think the former everyone gets, its like a tax break. The latter has income restrictions and varies from state to state, so Bavaria may have different rules from Hessen.

I was pleased to discover that my company actually gave me a one-time payment of 310 Euros (not taxable!) upon the birth of my child...not sure how standard that is.

Posted

I'm curious about this too.

So, are you saying that your employer or the insurance company (I am privately insured) pays your salary for the 4 weeks before and 8 weeks after the birth? Is anyone out there who is privately insured and could tell me what their experience has been?

I need to call my insurance company too, just to be sure before we get the whole ball rolling (we're not pregnant yet).

Posted

There are other types of support for families with children

Kindergeld

Erziehungsgeld

Erziehungsgeld is now called Elterngeld.

Posted

I am publicly insured, but in my case, the health insurance has paid 13€ a day for 6 weeks up to my due date already, and will send me another lump sum for the 8 weeks after the birth. The difference in my salary is made up by my employer, ie I am getting full pay for a total of 14 weeks. 8 weeks after the birth I will start to claim Elterngeld, which I then get for a further 10 months, and which is 67% of my previous wage...

Posted

I am publicly insured,

I'm publicly insured as well and expecting a baby in October. I asked my employer if my health insurance stays the same for me during my Elternzeit and if the baby can be under the insurance, but my employer said they have no idea about health insurance and how it works during Elternzeit.

Would you happen to know how that works? Or do I need to get under my boyfriend's insurance?

Posted

As long as you are claiming Elterngeld (so up to 1 year after the birth), you remain in your public health insurance for free. After that, you need to get yourself otherwise insured, for example on your partner's policy. It is probably easiest to put the baby straight on your partner's insurance if you plan on staying home for longer than a year, then you don't have to change baby insurance when you change yours.

Posted

great, thanks! Just what I needed to know!

Posted

I am publicly insured, but in my case, the health insurance has paid 13€ a day for 6 weeks up to my due date already, and will send me another lump sum for the 8 weeks after the birth. The difference in my salary is made up by my employer, ie I am getting full pay for a total of 14 weeks. 8 weeks after the birth I will start to claim Elterngeld, which I then get for a further 10 months, and which is 67% of my previous wage...

Kathie - the Elterngeld which is up to 67% of your previous wage - is this capped at 1800 Euros per month? Or is it truly 67% of your previous salary? From what I have read on the board, I have understood that it is capped, but am hoping it isn't (!) - thought you might be able to clear it up for me. Thanks in advance :)

Posted

Wife got a lump sum back then for 2500 DM.I managed to get her pregnant before the 3 yaer time period was up so when the 2nd came along she got another 2500 DM.Pissed her employer off big time

Posted

So, are you saying that your employer or the insurance company (I am privately insured) pays your salary for the 4 weeks before and 8 weeks after the birth? Is anyone out there who is privately insured and could tell me what their experience has been?

If you are privately insured AND you are paying social insurance (e.g. you are an employee) you are entitled to a one off payment of €210, (you have to apply via the Bundesversicherungsamtsome Amt), plus whatever the employeer should pay you.

See here http://www.familien-wegweiser.de/wegweiser...did=40164.htmll

"In der privaten Krankenversicherung oder nicht krankenversicherte Arbeitnehmerinnen erhalten Mutterschaftsgeld von einmalig bis zu 210 Euro durch das Bundesversicherungsamt plus Arbeitgeberzuschuss in Höhe der Differenz zwischen 13 Euro und dem durchschnittlichen Nettoarbeitsentgelt."

Posted

Do you claim for the 13 euros per day through the health insurance themselves or from the job centre? I'm due in May and cant work much longer, have state insurance but am self employed so think have to get arbeitlosengeld not eltern geld. Is that done through job centre and how long does this take?

Posted

Yes, you claim the €13 per day from the Krankenkasse, but this assumes you are allowed to receive "Krankengeld", but the quote doen't make this clear if it applied to self employed people . From the site I quoted above.

"Mitglieder der Gesetzlichen Krankenversicherung mit Krankengeldanspruch (z.B. Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitslose) erhalten während der gesetzlichen Schutzfristen und für den Entbindungstag pro Tag 13 Euro Mutterschaftsgeld von der Krankenkasse plus Arbeitgeberzuschuss in Höhe der Differenz zum durchschnittlichen Nettoarbeitsentgelt. Arbeitslose erhalten Mutterschaftsgeld in Höhe der bisherigen Zahlung."

A self employed person is eligable for Eltergeld - the requirement is more or less that you (or a partner) have paid income tax.

In the case of a self employed person, the income assessment is based on the pervious year's tax return, rather than pay slips. If you don't have a final tax return (i.e. one that has been checked by the Finanzamt) by the time you need to apply for the Elterngeld, you can submit an "Einnahme-Überschuss-Rechnung" as a preliminary indication of your year's income.

The "Einnahme-Überschuss-Rechnung" would be provided by your tax advisor once they have prepared your tax return, ready for you to send to the Finanzamt. Once a final tax return is available, the preliminary payments are checked, and the balance of the money payable (or to be returned) will be calculated.

If you are entitled to arbeitlosengeld, and claim this, then Elterngelt is available to make up any difference up to the 2/3rds of net income level that Elterngelt provides. (i.e. the value of some other benifits being paid is offset against the value of Elterngelt payable).

Posted

Arbeitslosengeld is from the job center I think, but what about elterngeld? Is that the Arbeitsamt or still the job centre?

Posted

Assuming you are in Berlin, like it says on your profile, you can get the Elterngeld application forms here:

Berlin.de - Elterngeld

You have to hand it in at one of the "Elterngeldstellen":

Das Elterngeld kann ab sofort bei den Elterngeldstellen der 12 Berliner Bezirksämter beantragt werden.

List of Berlin Elterngeldstellen here:

Elterngeld.net - Elterngeldstellen in Berlin

Posted

So, this is sort of off-topic (kind of), but I'll try anyway. The 6 weeks before the due date that you are supposed to stay home - do you have to take this time or are you allowed to work? I just don't know what the hell I would do at home all day for 6 weeks? I'd go crazy after about 3 days. It's not like I'll be able to go lay out in the sun, go cycling or other fun things and it's not as if my job requires some sort of physical labor. Hell, after a weekend of working in the garden, I'm thankful to give my body a break by going into the office on Mondays!

Posted

Why can't you go to the lake and go swimming and lay out? After I had my appendix out, I spent the next two weeks recuperating at the lake. Man, swimming made my belly feel better. I can only imagine the weight it would take off a pregnant mother.

Posted

Why can't you go to the lake and go swimming and lay out?

Because it will be December... ;) (yes, I'm already worried about things that are really far in the future). Boy, was I bummed to thinking that I will be on maternity leave during the three worst months. I want to have it during summer!!!

Posted

Are congratulations in order? Most mothers I know were happy for the time off when they came to it. It's given to you I'm not sure of the legal complications for a company if you don't take it. You'd have to ask. But as you are going to be spending the next year with irregular sleep paterns I would think a little bit of rest before hand is a mothers right!