Where to buy enchiladas and guacamole in Hamburg

31 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm from America, working in Hamburg for six months now and have yet to find a great mexican dining spot. Can someone please help me find a great mexican restaurant in Hamburg? Looking for a killer enchilada, gauc, and spit worthy hot sauce. Seems like this amazing food is not a popular town favorite here. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Posted

Qrito.de is THE BOMB for Burritos if you like chipotle etc.. I was just there and I think for beeing in europe burito was just 10 from 10

and people talk that this restaurant is good I havent tried it yet but sounds like good place to go and eat,... WWW.Cafemexico.de.

Posted

Totally agree. Finding good Mexican is difficult here. Just got back from a couple week stint in the US, ate mexican a half dozen times at least. I'm ready for more, so let me know when you find a good one, I'll do the same.

Posted

I just brought back a tortilla press from the states. Got some corn flour...i'll invite ya'll over for mexican night sometime!

Posted

Cafe Mexico was a cute little joint with great food! Not the biggest selection but the enchilada and margarita tasted like a typcial Mexican place from the states...good luck! I'm the same way...craving good old Mexican food :)

Posted

I can also vouch for Qrito. I know of two, one on Mühlenkamp and one across from the Haspa on Grindelallee by Uni Hamburg. Pretty much like Qdoba and they have some funny things like American candy bar and HFCS Dr. Pepper (gotta say I miss it a little bit). I usually get the chicken california burrito for around 6,00 and it's ready in about 10 minutes or less. They even want to speak English too.

Posted

If the guy with the tats is still at Muhlenkamp, he is great to talk to. He is from Socal.

Posted

Yeah tor he still is. He's definitely cool. When I walked in something told me he wasn't totally Deutsch. I'm not sure if he's part owner or franchisee though. Man, now I'm really craving one.

Posted

let's meet up for lunch!

Posted

Methinks a trip to HH is in order this weekend! *drool*

Is the food there REALLY hot? I like to burn the taste buds right off my tongue...I use Tabasco sauce instead of ketchup and that even barely registers a 0.1 on my burn-o-meter.

Posted

no, I wouldn't say it's hot...but they have hot sauce at the ready...

Posted

The one place I loved has since gone out of business :-( this one I find good but wonder why it is never full of people:

Eltequito KG

St. Pauli Fischmarkt 3

20359 Hamburg

Telefon: +49 (0)40 - 319 32 78

Telefax: +49 (0)40 - 319 39 56

E-Mail: info@eltequito.de

web: http://www.eltequito.com/front_content.php?idcat=2

Let me know what you think and good luck. I know the feeling.

Posted

Magster,

you should go to spicy's gewurzmuseum in the Speicherstadt part of Hamburg. Neat little place and you can buy some spices there. Not sure how hot you can buy them but the history is pretty cool.

Posted

thanks all for the good info. If I run across a good one in my travels around H'burg, I'll post. Can't believe how few Mexican's are in Europe, it's the fastest growing population in the US.

Posted

If you like to cook Mexican, you can find really good, hot chili powder at the Asian Markets. There is "chili powder" and "extra hot chili powder." We've found the regular one to be hot enough to make foods fire alarm hot. Found fresh jalepenos 1 time at the local Famila - paid 3 eu for 1 but it was worth it! My husband is always looking for a great Mexican place and he does like Cafe Mexico. We've had Qrito recommended but haven't tried it yet. Anyone know if there is anywhere to reliably buy fresh Mexican chilis (poblano, jalepeno, serrano)? Or queso fresco? Hominy? We've had visiting friends bringing us corn tortillas, chopped green chilis and chipotle chilis in adobo but large cans of hominy are a bit heavy . . .

I'll forward the Eltequito info to my husband ...

Posted

I've posted this on other threads, but here it is again.

you can find everything here, including frozen corn tortillas.

Winterhuder Weg 78,

040 22739581

next to the Lidl

Posted

tor, do you mean the SUPERMERCADO pictured there? You've referred to it as Surimex before, maybe the Street View picture is too old.

Lots of online shops for Mexican ingredients listed here:

Mexican Food

Yeah it was originally written for Munich, but it's got translations of food terms, recipes, and information on online shops and national chains.

And please see also the

British and American Foods

Where to Buy Page

Posted

gen...the tree is in the way...