Trouble applying for FYVE sim

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I am having some trouble applying for a FYVE.de sim card for my wife.

It seems an excellent deal - pay as you go (but can auto-topup from direct debit) €5 a month for up to 150MB of internet, €10 for up to 500MB, full 7.2 Mbps 3G (vodaphone network), 9c for everything else (texts, calls to mobiles and landlines, even international calls to 33 european destinations including the UK).

I have one for myself which works really well - the first time you use it it asks you to select language so I even have voicemail and all the top up menus in English.

(I just mention this since it might be of interest to people on this forum).

Anyway the problem is something to do with the address verification.

We get the following error:

Leider ist ein Fehler aufgetreten:

Leider ist erneut ein Fehler während unserer Adressprüfung aufgetreten. Wir nehmen deine Bestellung gerne persönlich über die FYVE Bestell-Hotline entgegen. Unter 01805 / 543011 sind wir montags bis sonntags in der Zeit von 7 bis 23 Uhr für dich erreichbar (0,14 €/Min aus dem dt. Festnetz, max. 0,42 €/Min aus dt. Mobilfunknetzen).

I even tried to apply by phone but it didn't go through either - unfortunately language skills weren't sufficient to get the reason - the guy just said it didn't go through the system.

Actually I got the same error the first time I applied, which was the same day I registered at the Burgeramt. This was a Friday, and for me already on the Saturday it went through OK - so I assume there is some sort of database you go on when you register that they have access to.

The problem is my wife is not European. She now has her Aufenhaltskarte which is like a visa and her permission to stay, but it doesn't have her address on it. She never got a letter like I did which says "Bescheinigung gemäss 5 FreizügG/EU".

I asked specifically about it but the lady at the Burgeramt said all she has for address is the photocopy of the handwritten form we gave in (it has a stamp on it).

So is it just that the database updates sporadically and I was lucky it went through the next day for me? (ie is it worth waiting and continuing to apply).

Or as a non-european does she not get on this database (won't it make it difficult for getting bank accounts and stuff as well)

Or is there something incomplete about the registration and we need to go back and get this done to get her on the database?

To be honest the FYVE thing is not so important - I think I will just apply for another sim card in my name, but if it has an effect for other services like bank accounts then I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks

Posted

Just to update.

I emailed the lady at the Bürgeramt to ask if there was anything we needed to do to get on the database. She replied very quickly saying my wife was now added and we should have no more problems - sure enough the next day the application was successful. Perhaps she had forgotten to do it when we were originally processed.

This database thing seems a real mystery - none of the German people I've spoken to at work know anything about it, and it seems odd to me that you need to be registered to get a prepaid mobile phone.

Anyway it is working now.

Posted

thanks for the tip!

about the address thing. Could it simply be that you entered the address wrongly on the form/ website, incorrect postcode or something

OR

did you have to provide a credit card in your initial transaction?

nowadays some companies cross reference the address given with the address on the credit card so another source of the problem maybe?

Posted

Hi,

No there was nothing wrong with the address - it is exactly the same as the one I used for myself. It is to do with the name not being registered to the address in the Mederegister. Also all this is before the payment stage so it is nothing to do with credit cards either.

As soon as I contacted the Burgeramt she was added and it went through the next day.

Posted

It sounds a bit odd to require an address registration for a prepaid sim card (for contract sims, this is of course understandable). Especially when you can walk through any airport terminal and clearly see advertising boards everywhere targeting temporary visitors and tourists as prime customers for throwaway prepaid sim cards / mobile phone rentals. Those people will definately not have an Anmeldebestaetigung, but will probably just show their ID.

Media Markt and Saturn both put up posters in their store saying more of less "no Anmeldung - no phone/sim purchase" - even in the prepaid section. But I think the sign is intended for permanent residents, since whenever I've accompanied visiting colleagues for the obligatory shopping trip / altstadt brauhaus visit, all they ever had to do was show their passports, say they were tourists for the Messe etc... and that was it. Purchase made.

Posted

Some alternatives could be blau.de or maxxim.de.I bought from both with google toolbar translator to convert their German page and they both were quick and has almost all the features you mentioned.Hope this helps.

Posted

This might be tied to some anti-terrorism legislation?

Posted

ok i am in hamburg, i have buyed this fyve card and i activated it.

seems to wirk, but i cannot recharge the credit by credit card...

it said me a error is encountered

Posted

at the end the error was related to the credit card itself.

now it is more than one year that I am using this Fyve sim...and I am quite happy with that.

I usually recharge that buying a code in the tankestelle, and it is relatively easy.

But I have now an additional problem.

I want to buy a smartphone that needs a micro sim. Do you know how can I convert the standard Fyve sim to a micro sim?