Cooking for kids of all ages

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok, so I cannot face another plate of fish fingers or bowl of pumpkin soup. Our kids are 5 and 9 and like a lot of kids this age seem to think that anything green is the product of Satan, or at least a close relation.

I refuse to cook separate meals for the kids, so my wife and I aim to prepare a menu for the week which is going to be palatable for all of us but I am running out of ideas, other than possibly force feeding or just letting them starve.

I have tried various forms of couscous with herbs and meat or prawns, pasta usually goes okay, as long as there are no visible lumps of onion (another product of Beelzebub) or other vegetable in the sauce. I have made stir fries, risottos, soups, home made hamburgers and once even tried a souffle (never again!). But we usually end up back to the staples to ensure that they get some nutrition.

So what meals do you lot serve to your kids that have them pleading for more?

Posted

Mark, I seem to have been really lucky with mine. They love all my food. Happy to eat green stuff too. Much of my ideas came from Jamie Oliver to start with from my garden, then branched out and customised the recipes once I understood them.

All I do is to use everything as fresh and seasonable as possible, and as local as I can. That usually means going to farms to get stuff like eggs, chicken and red meat. The kids often come and get to see the cows etc. I also buy fish from a small fishmonger every Friday.

You have a garden? Then set up a raised bed and grow with them.

Maybe they're older now to actually be of help in the klicten. Mine just used to get on my tits. The myth of cooking in the kitchen with kids being fun is bollocks. They just make mess!

Posted

My corndogs went over pretty well.

What are you lookin' at?!? There's corn in it ain't there?

Posted

Oooh I was just thinking. Something I haven't made/eaten for years and years. You can make it with leftover rice, or cook rice especially.

I get rice or other grains and maybe put some oats in or whatever you like. Grate carrots and put hide whatever other veggies you can think of .. peppers, leeks, mushrooms (they might see them, though - my daughter has never liked mushrooms). Add some eggs. Form burger shapes and then fry them up. Oh of course, season the mass and add any herbs you want.

Make a nice cheese sauce to pour over it .. or any other sauce, who cares. Sarah used to love this and me, too.

Posted

my children who are 1, 3 and 5 are picky in their own way. But with it being just me and them, I had to revolve the menus totally around all of their likes, because i'll be damned if I play short order chef for 2 meals a day over a 5 week period. I made ramen with steak and mushrooms and they really liked that. Even my baby who is slowly liking meat again! I also made lime chicken which was covered in evil onions (my son hates them, too) and that went down well all 3 asked for seconds. I also told them exactly what the ingredients were which helped, too. I did leave out that i used onions. and of course homemade pizza is great. they can choose their own toppings. this year, I tried pureeing kuri squash and using it as a base for macaroni and cheese. the boys loved it, my daughter isn't a mac n cheese fan.

Posted

and of course homemade pizza is great. they can choose their own toppings.

Yep, my 6 year old announced this week: "Screw turkey, I want to make my own pizza for Thanksgiving!"

Posted

My daughter and her friends always loved Tigadege. It's a dish from Mali that I found in a US children's magazine. It's got lots of healthy stuff (tomato paste, chopped spinach, cabbage, peanut butter and possibly chicken) and is served over couscous. This linked recipe has squash, but my recipe uses chopped spinach instead and a whole jar of creamy peanut butter.

When my daughter's friends were younger, they used to tell their parents that they had eaten "Tiger" (German pronunciation) at our house :D

Posted

The pizza works well for us as well. Great suggestions, the Tigadege sounds particularly intriguing. Keep them coming :-)

Posted

My boys are older now, but it's always been that one will eat anything while the other one eats almost nothing.

What worked well (and still works) for us:

macaroni and cheese with peas thrown in

spaghetti pie (spaghetti, egg and parmesan crust, layer of cottage cheese, ground beef or turkey with seasoned tomato sauce (possible to hide grated carrots and onions in there if desired) on top of that and a sprinkling of shredded cheese. Baked in oven until browned.

Potato gnocchis (my kids eat them with creamed spinach which they both love for some reason)

omelettes

lentil soup with carrots and potatoes

fried rice (egg, peas, green onions, red pepper, grated carrots, chopped ham)

and yes, homemade pizza or pizza pockets are always popular

Posted

this should get you started. ;)

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=kids

Posted

Kids 5 and 9 are old enough to help cook. Let them make bread dough, give them a variety of seeds to decorate it. Make breakfast for dinner, eggs, pancakes, fried potatoes. If you have one of those hand-held mixers, you can put all kinds of things in soups and sauces, give it a whirl and the kids will never know what is in there. Let them give it a go too. Kids love squishing up tomatoes with their hands to make soup or sauce. Let them form mini-meat loaves or meat balls. Lots of kids like raw veggies sometimes with a dip. Or they like to eat things with fancy toothpicks. Making pizzas is always fun too.

Let them make apple sauce, peel potatoes, slice tomatoes, peel carrots, slice zucchini or mushrooms, wash salads, etc.. When kids take part, they want to eat it. Help them to plan a whole meal and see how proud they get when it becomes their handi-work. Then don't even ask them to eat it. Be as non-chalant as you can. I bet they go for it. Who doesn't like to eat their own food?

Posted

Healthy- on- the- go- meat loaf... for kids and adults alike

1 small zucchini

2 small carrots

1/2 (75grams) cup of peas

1 small onion, finely diced

1 lb(450 grams) ground buffalo, beef or lamb - (grass fed organic is best)

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon of sea salt

1 teaspoon of mixed Italian herbs (basil, oregano and garlic)

Pre-heat oven to 350 Fahrenheit (176 degrees C)

finely grate carrots and zucchini.

ring out as much water from the veggies as you can with your hands to get rid of the liquid juice.

Place in a mixing bowl with, meat,onions, peas, , eggs, herbs, and salt.

Using a simple muffin tray line each hole with paper muffin liners.

Pack the mixture into each muffin hole but be sure not to over stuff

Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes until golden on top and cooked through.

This is a great-on -the -go- snack. or you can ditch the muffin tray and use the same ingredients to make a traditional meat loaf

Posted

so, the wee one is 1-year-old now and the poor cook that I am, has actually found joy in finding foods not only he can eat, but i can enjoy too. for the most part i got/get most of my ideas from the baby-led weaning cookbook and from the annabel karmel website. but now I was wondering about snacks, a lá morning and afternoon tea?

the wee one goes to daycare in the afternoon (so I could work from home). up until a few weeks ago, after his morning nap (wake at 11:30), i would sit down and have a warm lunch with him. then at daycare, at 1 p.m., he would get his bottle. but now that he is older, they want to give him lunch when he arrives, in fact they have been giving him lunch, which since this being Asia is rice porridge with veggie, fish or meat. so for the last 2 weeks he has been having 2 lunches! no wonder he has gotten heavier! (his bottle is now reserved for after his afternoon nap).

I started making yogurt smoothies, which he really enjoyed, practicing sipping from a sippy cup with a straw. so i got one snack. any other suggestions?

Posted

Ah, forgot I post when everyone is still snoozing... :D