Prepaid Visa/Mastercard

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

what are my best options for a prepaid visa or mastercard here in Germany?

Banks don't seem to offer them, I only found something online like this:

https://www.yunacard.com/de/produkte/

I wouldn't want to make the classic expat-in-Germany mistakes, like I did with with Commerzbank (euro-to-euro, Europe-to-Europe incoming transfer, 15 euro...) or Stadtparkasse (3 months to get online banking, with a device that "reads flashes of light coming from the screen"...)

thanks.

Posted

I have one with my bank, Commerzbank. On the one hand it is very useful for online shopping, on the other hand, topping up the card can take up to two days before it appears on your card. Pretty useless if you want to book flights in a hurry. Sometimes the transfer is instant, though.

Posted

The trick here is to get a prepaid credit card on your Girokonto (like vesparia said), and get a Dispokredit for the emergency cases. However you should watch out not to use the Dispo to often, as the interest rate is around 12-14%. Bank transfers are instant if the transaction is done between Commerzbank (or the same bank) accounts.

Posted

Bank transfers are only instant between Commerzbank accounts when they are done within a certain timeframe, otherwise they put on hold until the next day. Mind you, I've had endless problems with that bank... still better than my experience with Sparkasse though.

Posted

I also had problems with Commerzbank, although I never had an account with them... Twice my account has been blocked because the Commerzbank ATM I got cash from has been "compromised" (I really hate my countrymen sometimes...), and both times I had to pay 15 euros for a new card. I'm still waiting for my refund from them (5 and 2.5 months now). Also, I had a small project for them about 4 years ago where they gave the wrong instructions since their IT manager was around 60 and had no idea about IT whatsoever and they ended up paying 3 times more...

Anyways, online banking wired between Commerzbank accounts should be instant.

Posted

Hello,

I was looking at all the options earlier this year and there seem to be new cards coming out regularly. They are really debit cards with Visa or Mastercard labelling and there are plenty of prepaid credit cards comparison websites that show you the differences. Google "prepaid kreditkarte" and browse the links. This was helpful, http://www.kreditkarten-report.com/prepaid-kreditkarten-im-vergleich One note, beware of fees that come in percentages!

After looking at the options, I went with the Landesbank Berlin (LBB) prepaid Visa. I use it for Amazon, eBay atc. and withdrawing cash/purchasing in other European countries, North America and the Middle East with no problems. It also takes 2-3 days for the money to show up after being transferred from my account and the website is easy to use. The low foreign currency fee was important to me, as well as the ability to have a large amount on the card ready for use. Their customer service was also good and I was able to interact in English (although I am not sure if they offer it officially or the person was just being really nice to me!).

I think the cost of the regular LBB Visa is 39 euro, but I joined through my ADAC membership so it is only 19 euro and you get some extra benefits such as a discount on charging your mobile and gas.

Here is the link to the ADAC finance site: http://www.adac.de/produkte/finanzdienste/kreditkarten/default.aspx the card I have is called the Clubmobilkarte (there are three cards offered by ADAC, just click until you get to this one).

The regular LBB link is https://service.lbb.de/portal/whitelabel/index.php?pid=3

There is also the alternative of opening on ING-Diba account and getting the Visa card. It is actually a debit card like the prepaid Visa/Mastercard. I have opened an account but have yet to use it in this function so I cannot comment on it yet.

The above cards were good for me, but take your time and find the right one for you that fits your lifestyle and your spending habits.

Cheers.

Posted

Thanks!

Posted

Hello Friends,

I yet to open a bank account in Germany

I have an appointment with Deutsche Bank in Germany.

MY question is , Will I be given a Mastercard/ Visa or Maestro.

The guy at the bank does not understand English and said that they give only Maestro card and also said something like Mastercard will only be given after residing 13 months in Germany. I do not understand what he says

Can anyone advice me on this..

I need a visa / Mastercard debit card especially for flight booking.

Regards,

Posted

MY question is , Will I be given a Mastercard/ Visa or Maestro.

The guy at the bank does not understand English and said that they give only Maestro card and also said something like Mastercard will only be given after residing 13 months in Germany. I do not understand what he says

No, you will not get the Visa. It could even be that they won't give you the Maestro (known in Germany as EC card).

It sounds like Deutsche Bank thinks that your salary is too low, see no. 51 in German banks that offer free banking.

I suggest you forget about Deutsche Bank, they would only string you along like TT member aries6, see post no. 22 in Saving and investing for retirement.

A good alternative would be Wüstenrot, with their free bank account and their prepaid Visa card.

Posted

Thanks for reply Panda Munich..

They said they will give Maestro.

My salary is not low for denying a card!!

He just said me, once I live in Germany for 13 months, they are ready to give me

Posted

Please read aries6's account of his experience with Deutsche Bank that I linked to before.

If the guy at Deutsche Bank wasn't willing to give you the credit card right away then it is high time to look for another bank which will give you one before you waste a year like aries6 hoping to get it from Deutsche Bank.

Algorithm:

• if Deutsche Bank is willing to give you a credit card immediately --> stay with them, you have fulfilled their internal guidelines for whom they will give a credit card to, and their English online banking interface is nice to have.

• if Deutsche Bank will not give you a credit card immediately --> go to another bank that will and get a bank account there, e.g.:

• Wüstenrot, who are more likely to accept anyone since there you can get a bank account associated with:
      • a prepaid VISA credit card (which is what this thread is about!), which they will give to anyone since that one you can only use with money you have previously loaded on that credit card, or
      • a normal VISA credit debit card. They will take once a month from your bank account all that you spent with that credit card during the previous month.
        But they will only give you one if your disposable monthly income is above the internal limit set by that bank.

[*]ComDirect, a bank account associated with a normal VISA credit debit card. They will take once a month from your bank account all that you spent with that credit card during the previous month.

But they will only give you one if your disposable monthly income is above the internal limit set by that bank.

Posted

@Pandamunich - Thanks for the reply again. I did read about the link before, you previously sent me. it is really bad to know how Deutsche bank lied to them.

I will definitely follow your algorithm.

I really prefer to go with some big banks like Deutsche bank coz they also have branch at my country so just in case if i am transferring money, it would be useful.

Also, Main reason for asking visa or Master card debit is to book flight tickets!! Is there any alternatives to this like in Sweden, like for example prepaid temporary card (which we use to recharge with some amount of money ,then use it and throw it)

Thanks in advance. I will also post about this in a new thread.

and Pandamunich - Thanks a lot bro! you are making life in Germany easier for many people in Toytown.. I appreciate your help..and @lukeskywalker too! I see you both often :))

Posted

I really prefer to go with some big banks like Deutsche bank coz they also have branch at my country so just in case if i am transferring money, it would be useful.

Just because they are both called Deutsche Bank will not make transfers easier, they are two completely different legal entities and they will charge you a fee for the transfer, just like all other banks, so no advantage there.

Please see How to transfer money with Deutsche Bank to India for alternative ways of transferring money to India.

Posted

Years ago, a friend of mine made the mistake of naively assuming that by opening a Dresdner Bank account in Germany, they could easily access their account for emergencies at a walk-in branch back in their home country of Spain. Erm, no... Bad assumption.

My friend lost their card and was stranded cashless in a city they don't normally visit in their home country of Spain. Result = access denied, and bank could not help in any way. In the end I wired them the money as a loan.

If I were you, I would ask the Deutsche Bank on both Germany side and your home country side if they allow access to your account at foreign branches. AND ask what procedure you must follow, what documents you must take with you etc..., when you try to access your account by walking into a branch at your home country. Most banks will not do this though, but if this is your main reason for choosing the bamk in Germany, it needs to be investigated.

Another friend of mine had a similar experience when they moved to Paris and tried to access their UK Barclays account at a Barclays Paris branch. Again same situation - emergencies. Again access denied.

Tip: For emergency sitiations, if their main excuse to refuse access (when technically this "might" be possible) in other country branches is that they can't be sure the cardless person is really you as owner of account, you can at least persist by offering to leave copies of other IDs in your file on the DE side, along with 3 different security questions and passwords and have them in parallel recognized also on the home country side. This "might" debunk their security excuse, and even if they countinue to say no, they might change their excuse to something which is less of a blanket excuse, read from a call center script.

Back to the credit/prepaid card topic: As far as I know, most of the prepaid cards do not offer the extra services for "emergencies" like the credit cards do e.g. purchase protection, or 24 hour new card express courier service when card lost/stolen.

Posted

@Paul work Thanks very much for the advice and explanation.

I will verify it with Deutsche bank when i meet them during appointment.

Posted

Guys i wanna buy a prepaid credit card, for sure mastercard since they hate visa here in Berlin, my friend always has problems when he wants to pay with visa, they usually only take mastercard,im older than 18 years but I'm just a foreigner student here, so no chance in hell they're going to give me a regular one, have any of you used mywiredcard, netller, kalixa? Are they reliable?

I've been told that every prepaid card costs 20/30 eur a year but these three are free of charge, is it true? do they work on cyberport, amazon, saturn/media markt, google play store?

Posted

Anyone with experience on this topic?

Posted

I have a Wirecard Mastercard virtual CC and it's been perfect so far. No charges for opening or maintaining the account but they do charge a 1€ fee for loading your CC.

If you want a physical CC with Wirecard it's approximately 30€ per year.

Posted

Hello,

I have been searching for banks offering online services in English, and also providing EC/pre-paid visa cards.

From the 3 banks which support English, i.e. DB, Commerzbank, and citibank, I let go of DB (don't immediately give out EC and/or visa), citibank (cash pool).

Does anyone know if Commerzbank provides instant EC/pre-paid visa cards? I guess with some money (1200euro) going in every month its free too.

Thanks!

Posted

Postbank do but their website isn't in English. I walked out with a prepay VISA and Vpay card in about 10 mins of walking in.

Posted

Thanks, yes I am aware about the Postbank, however the online banking is not in english, so won't work for me.

Posted

have any of you used mywiredcard, netller, kalixa? Are they reliable?

mywirecard will charge an annual fee of 0€ if you use the virtual card only. For additional plastic card they will charge extra. Please read their price list. They charge for every incoming money transfer. I would not recommend mywirecard.

Kalixa charges some € for setup and nothing p.a., and has very low other fees.

Neteller charges nothing for setup or p.a. They charge a fee if you not use the card for 14 months.

Any deposit at mywirecard is safe by law (Wirecard Bank, any deposit up to 100.000€ per person is safe). Kalixa and Neteller are no banks, and therefore deposits are not 100% safe.

Because of these restrictions I have not listed all 3 cards in my card comparision tables.

The insider idea to get a free prepaid credit card from a bank ist to open an complete bank account at Wüstenrot Bank. You have the choice to open it with a free credit card or a free prepaid card (please select the prepaid card).

You may misuse the complete bank account as an prepaid VISA card: Simply transfer money to the account if your deposit is empty...

do they work on cyberport, amazon, saturn/media markt, google play store?

The most local Saturn/Media Markets not accept any VISA or MasterCard.

Posted

mywirecard will charge an annual fee of 0€ if you use the virtual card only. For additional plastic card they will charge extra. Please read their price list. They charge for every incoming money transfer. I would not recommend mywirecard.

Kalixa charges some € for setup and nothing p.a., and has very low other fees.

Neteller charges nothing for setup or p.a. They charge a fee if you not use the card for 14 months.

Any deposit at mywirecard is safe by law (Wirecard Bank, any deposit up to 100.000€ per person is safe). Kalixa and Neteller are no banks, and therefore deposits are not 100% safe.

Because of these restrictions I have not listed all 3 cards in my card comparision tables.

The insider idea to get a free prepaid credit card from a bank ist to open an complete bank account at Wüstenrot Bank. You have the choice to open it with a free credit card or a free prepaid card (please select the prepaid card).

You may misuse the complete bank account as an prepaid VISA card: Simply transfer money to the account if your deposit is empty...

The most local Saturn/Media Markets not accept any VISA or MasterCard.

Why would you not recommend mywirecard if they dont have an anual fee?, when you say they charge for every money income you mean they charge every time you transfer mone to the card, not for every time you buy something with your card for example on amazon, right?

What do you mean when you say netteller doesnt charge por pa? i checked the website you linked but this wuestenrot is a visa (usually they dont like visa in Berlin) and second it has the worst rating from all the cards ...

Posted

Wüstenrot Visa needs a checking account in Wüstenrot bank, apparently.

I just ordered a Kalixa card. 4.95€ for card setup, but you get a 7€ cashback over Qipu if you load the card with minimum 10€ for the first time. No fees for loading via Bank transfer and free usage worldwide. They charge a small fee for money withdrawals using the card, which is expected. It is a Mastercard, btw.

I have a Wirecard virtual CC and it's been a hassle-free experience so far- Only gripe is that they debit 1€ for every recharge or withdrawal.