Lufthansa's Miles & More program

157 posts in this topic

Posted

Im trying to understand the miles and more program that lufthansa offers and i just cant get to understanding this whole program. The website has too much content to read. Everything is in terms of "miles" and i cant get myself to understand how u spend these miles. Is it on discounts in cash or flight upgrades or what???

I know alot of TTers use this card. How does it work? Does it really have a lot of benefits or problems with it?

is it worth it ??

Posted

You can spend your miles on lots of things really. Flights obviously, but also hotel nights, books (on www.buch.de), magazine subscriptions, miscellaneous "stuff", the list is endless.

Posted

thats the website that had tooo much of content that i was fed up of reading so just wanted to know from members if its worth it!

Posted

They don't offer cash refunds. If you want to assess the value of your miles, one way to estimate is to look at the "exchange-rate" for purchases on www.buch.de: You need to cash 300 Miles to get 1 Euro worth of books/music/DVDs etc.

Posted

It really depends on how frequently you fly Lufthansa. If you regularly do long-haul trips (i.e. to Asia or the US), I'd say it's definitely worth it. If you do the odd trip to London once every 6 months, then it's hard to collect enough miles to actually use them for something.

Posted

yep i fly to India twice a year but i just learnt from the website that miles will be awarded only if u buy your ticket from Europe and not from India. Thats why i put up this thread so that u really are aware of the benefits..

though i get a gist of it ,I still have to understand this program..

But its free to register for it anyway right? so there is nothing to loose?

Posted

yes, but I don't think they send you the actual card until you have like 2500 miles from etix purchases. or something like that - can't remember. They are part of the Star Alliance though, which is nice, so I can also use/get credit for on my United frequent flyer program.

Posted

it's free, just get one

i've got one, i hardly ever use it, but i've had a couple of free flights with it

Posted

No, there's nothing to lose. I am registered, but I do what tom_a says - fly to London every six months. So I don't get very many miles. But I'm saving up for a teddy bear.

Posted

When I still lived in Bkk and Singapore it I collected quite some miles over the year (FRA-BKK and back once a year)...I got at least one round-trip a year for free (usually short trips...like Munich-London...but well woth it). Although i do not quite understand that you should only get it when booking from Europe...I never had any problems getting my miles and I always booked from Asia. As far as I know it does not depend on where you book but what airline you take.

Posted

yes, but I don't think they send you the actual card until you have like 2500 miles from etix purchases. or something like that - can't remember.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

anyone know more about that??

Posted

Yes it depends on the airline. It must be part of Star Alliance, so if you fly Thai you should get miles wherever you book.

It costs nothing to register so go for it.

Whether it pays off or not depends upon how much you fly. As a "normal" member (with a blue card) you lose miles after 3 years: i.e. if you fly today then the miles you earn from that flight will be lost at the end of September 2008 so you'd need to get enough together to spend them on something worthwhile first.

My experience is that unless you fly a lot on business and grab those miles too (which of course you will tax won't you ;) ) then there's not a lot to be gained. But then if you regularly fly to Asia and back anyway then woohoo...

Posted

The number of miles you get credited depends on how much you pay for your ticket. Even for economy, they have three different types of booking categories. For the lowest-price ones (S, W), they only credit you 50 % of the miles that you fly. For the most expensive ones, they credit you 150 %.

For example, Munich->Delhi and back is roughly 7,400 miles. So if you go for the cheapest economy ticket, they give you 3,700 miles. If you go on a slightly more expensive economy ticket (H, M, Q, V), you get 7,400 miles, etc.

For details, check this page:

http://portal.miles-and-more.com/online/po...&nodeid=1227079

Posted

You get the card right after signing up...you dont need any start capital... just sign up, nothing to loose...just one more card in the purse :)

Posted

I think Butterbean is right, you only get a "real" membership card once you've earned your first 2,500 miles. But this has nothing to do with your membership itself. I guess they just want to save money on the cards and not issue one to people that never fly anywhere anyway.

Posted

They are part of the Star Alliance though, which is nice, so I can also use/get credit for on my United frequent flyer program.

I already had Aeroplan from flying in Canada. Air Canada is also Star Alliance...as is Lufthansa. I recently flew Lufthansa and sent in my stuff to collect the points with Aeroplan...got some letter back stating the following:

'Under our agreement with Lufthansa, members are allowed to claim mileage for all regular scheduled flights. Please note, charter flights, code share flights operated by any Lufthansa code share partner other than Star Alliance airlines, and Lufthana's train service are not eligible for mileage accumulation. Accumulation on non-North-Atlantic flights in Economy class earns 50% of actual miles flown.'

Now I was claiming a flight from MUC-LHR towards my Aeroplan...which means I did not get full credit. So it isn't always beneficial with member flights.

So I guess my moral is...get the plan and card for where you live and fly most. I talked to them and you cannot transfer points (i.e. transfer my Aeroplan to Miles & More...even though it is same Star Alliance flights) and you have to have individual cards for each person flying (i.e. husband and wife must have own card).

As for Miles & More...Tom joined up on a flight to Crete last September. The forms were in the in-flight magazine...they allow you to get credit for the flight you are already on...you give the form to the flight attendant and they take care of it. It takes a long time to get the actual card but you get a temporary card when you fill the form in. He did get the points from that flight...but you have to remember to give your card number each time you check in for a member flight...and even then you might have to claim your points later. Keep all your boarding passes and ticket crap to send in.

What I do know about Miles & More is that it is also affiliated with Payback (green card you can use at Kaufhof and Obi etc.) and I believe you can do something with points between the two...but don't quote me. Maybe someone knows the score?

Posted

You can claim miles up to a month retrospectively if you forget your card or whatever, it's no biggie. Just keep the boarding card for the purpose.

Payback: there does seem to be some connection, such as you get Payback points for receiving your M&M statement online. Where's Pootle when you need him ;)

Posted

your payback points only get transferred to your miles & more card once a year and only if you have 1,500 payback points or more.

(i have the paypack lufthansa card). also the last 3 years in the fall, miles & more and payback had this deal if you used your payback card three times within a month and are one of the first 25,000 people to do so, you could win a subscription to focus magazine for a year. i have won two free subscriptions!

i signed up for a miles&more card when i flew to spain a coupla years back. i use the number whenever i fly star alliance partners (i.e united). bad thing is:

(1) miles are invalid after 36 months

(2) i tried to get a rental car with some miles. did everything online, then they said they would call only if nothing worked out. unfortunately sent me a voucher for the car rental AFTER i already was away. they did not specify this.

@boneydebbie -- you're right. their site is chocked full of info. too much. i needed a coupla hours to work through where i needed to go. i've got 10,000 miles to spare. i might get a glamour subscription. B)

Posted

Payback > Miles and more can be found on www.payback.de.

They've now dropped the limits for transferring to 1000 points.

Poots

post-20-1121162397.gif