Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Road rules and signs

38 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone know of an online page which describes the German road rules and road signs? I did the test a few years ago now and feel that I need to brush up.

Posted

Thought I'd add to this as it seems the most appropriate thread.

I'm confused and just don't get it.

Situation:

Unsigned t-intersection, 30kph limit zone

Giving Way:

a) car turning right or left out of a terminating street

B) car passing straight through intersection with terminal road on either the left or the right

c) car turning from the through road left or right into a terminating road

In the world that I came from, any car in an unsigned intersection on a terminating road must give way to vehicles in the intersection. I've been told that here, through traffic must give way to any turning vehicle that is exiting the terminating road, if in a 30kph limit zone. Is this really the case?

Posted

Car to your right has priority.

post-24808-1326295745457.jpg

Posted

Situation:

Unsigned intersection

Right-before-left is the rule for unsigned intersections.

Posted

Unsigned t-intersection,

Car to your right has priority.

unless this sign was sticking on a post / wall/ house/ drainpipe/ lamp post :blink: a few metres 10 metres 20 metres before the junction .....

post-29385-13262957079949.gif

Posted

Anywhere before the junction actually, unless there was another equal junction interrupting the right of passage in the meantime.

Posted

Here's a few links, somewhere in them you'll find info on right-of-way.

USAR Driving Manual for Germany: http://usareurpracticetest.com/germany/documents/manual.pdf

-- Even if you're not armed forces, this details the rules of the road in Germany. Still a handy guide. Just ignore any bits about "losing your USAREUR license".

German Road Signs PDF: http://www.hqusareur.army.mil/rmv/drivers_handbook/1903412.pdf

Posted

unless this sign was sticking on a post / wall/ house/ drainpipe/ lamp post blink.gif a few metres 10 metres 20 metres before the junction .....

You're not wrong but the original problem statement was only concerned with a 'non-signed' T-junction.

Posted

There's some good info here: http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/auto.shtml

The quiz on who yields to who is quite fun - they get quite complicated! :)

Posted

I've been told that here, through traffic must give way to any turning vehicle that is exiting the terminating road, if in a 30kph limit zone. Is this really the case?

It isn't just in a 30kph zone and it isn't just here, it's the case for pretty much every European country. No signs, give way to the right.

Last weekend I came up to a four way crossing and four cars turned up at the same time, after a little hesitation, one of us broke the law and took a car coming from the rights "vorfahrt" (It was me!).

Posted

You're not wrong but the original problem statement was only concerned with a 'non-signed' T-junction.

yes Mr. Nosey, I assumed he meant this...or lack of this

post-29385-13263011358631.jpg

Posted

Hello all, thanks for the great and, wow, many, responses. The pics did the job, and thanks to another, I now know the rule is 'Dead Right.' Silly me for not knowing - Antipodean that I am. I guess I can be forgiven for learning to drive on the wrong side of the road. That pdf was a bonus, thanks, and the picture story, he he he, I understand there's a whole new world for bike rules. ;-)

Your answers havebeen really helpful and will most likely save my marriage, next time I'm in the front seat with my wife, wondering WTH she's doing and why she's slowing at an unsigned intersection.

Thanks one and all.

Posted

I also getting familiar with the German signs. I've been reviewing a pocket handbook along with Google Earth's Street View.

In the attached picture, the dash and solid line symbol referred by the red arrow, does this mean that if I'm going on the same direction as the white car, then I am not allowed to turn or make a u-turn (but if I'm on the other side of the road, then I can)?

In the other attached picture, the blue circle with the white arrow is explained as a mandatory direction for travel. How come it is only pointing to one side of the road?

Danke!

post-160277-13293689108592.jpg

post-160277-13293689184047.jpg

Posted

In the attached picture, the dash and solid line symbol referred by the red arrow, does this mean that if I'm going on the same direction as the white car, then I am not allowed to turn or make a u-turn (but if I'm on the other side of the road, then I can)?

Yes, that's what it means. You can't cross a solid line that's facing you, but traffic in the opposite direction can turn left or make a U-turn there.

In the other attached picture, the blue circle with the white arrow is explained as a mandatory direction for travel. How come it is only pointing to one side of the road?

It's not the direction for travel, it simply means "keep right" as part of a divided road (divided by the median). If the road narrows and the median disappears, you could see this sign:

post-47703-13293699744089.jpeg

That one means two-way traffic on a non-divided road. It's also posted on a one-way street that becomes two-way at an intersection.

Posted

If the road narrows and the median disappears, you could see this sign:

post-47703-13293699744089.jpeg

That one means two-way traffic on a non-divided road. It's also posted on a one-way street that becomes two-way at an intersection.

Thanks, El Jeffo! That symbol is defined as "Oncoming traffic" in my pocket book. I didn't really understand what it meant until your explanation. So, by non-divided road, do you mean a road without any white lines on it?

Posted

It can have dotted white lines, but no median (paved, grassy, or otherwise). The arrow sign in your second picture is the "keep right" sign at the start of the median. Before that, it's a non-divided road with two-way (or oncoming) traffic.

Posted

Can someone give me an example scenario for the attached picture?

If I'm reading this correctly, if the oncoming traffic has priority, then if I'm on a one lane road and I see a car coming towards me, does that mean that I have to either get off the road or drive my car in reverse to let the other car through?

post-160277-132953949955.jpg

Posted

Most of the time I see the "yield to oncoming traffic" on short narrow bridges or short tunnels where the road narrows from a two lane to a one lane wide road. So as you approach, you look and see who has priority, and then look further down the road and see if anyone is coming. If you don't have priority then you wait for oncoming traffic to clear before crossing the bridge or going through the tunnel. You don't usually have to pull over or reverse, but simply wait just before the two lanes narrow to one. The tunnel near my in-laws has "yield to oncoming traffic" signs on both sides, so that anyone approaching has to slow down, and it is basically the one already in the tunnel who has priority so he can get out again.

Here's a photo of a similar tunnel, along with a video of driving through it. As the motorcycle exits the tunnel you can see how the road goes back from one lane within the tunnel to a wider road where cars can pass one another. You'll notice that the right lane (when approaching the tunnel) merges into the left lane, so that incoming vehicles can simply wait a little to the right of the entrance without blocking vehicles coming out.

post-18719-13295440665146.jpg

(taken from Brian's web site)

Posted

I think you may be mixing up two similar looking signs.

post-25333-13295729487307_thumb.jpg

The two straight arrows pointing down indicate which side of the divider you're supposed to be on. Can't use the left-most lane because that's oncoming traffic, can't use the right-most 'lane' because that's trams-only.

The curved arrow mounted higher up tells you that you can only turn right after the traffic light.

Posted

The US Armed Forces actually has a good listing of signs you'll see in Germany.

It can be viewed in PDF form here.

Posted

The term 'mandatory direction of travel' is highly misleading when referring to the signs pointing down left or right. It obviously does NOT mean turn around and go back to the left or right.

An arrow pointing straight up (N) means ahead only and when curved right or left simply means that you must go ahead only but that it refers to the road you are turning into (right or left as indicated by the sign)

An arrow pointing down and left (SW) means keep to the left (on the road relative to that sign)

An arrow pointing down and right (SE) means keep to the right (on the road relative to that sign)

The example photo just means keep to the road between the SW and SE signs (you must not go in any other direction, eg up that spur behind the white car.