Sharing Photos Online

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been using Facebook succesfully to share photo's but it seems some of my family are overwealmed by it and refuse to use it. Ludites.

I've started looking around for alternatives that are easy enough for people who think colour TV is a technical revolution too far.

My first stop is Hotmail. Now with the skydrive and their new tools it looks like it may do the job?

Are there other tools that are perhaps easier? There seem so many choices and I suspect with the number of photographers on TT others have spent a bit of time evaluating the market. I want to be able to post a lot of pics, have them easy to view and be able to limit who seems them.

Posted

I'd suggest Picasa by Google - you can selectively sync your photo albums online (you get 1024 MB of free storage; paid upgrades are available), you can keep them unlisted (i.e. by invitation only), and simply mail the links to the respective albums to people. Even my 91-year-old grandfather can handle that one.

Posted

for all of my family who cannot figure out how to see our pics, we chose smugmug...it is a paid service (i think it is around 50 US dollars a year), but you get unlimited storage of all of your pics and you get a personal homepage (you can customize it a LOT). so, all i had to do was send out a link one time to tell them the location of my page, and gave them instructions to bookmark it. now, all they have to do is click the bookmark and it takes them directly to the page and they can view the pics right there. they can choose to see them small or any variety or sizes...i just love it! you can also choose to send out a direct link to your page after you've uploaded new pics. they even have a free one week trial to see if you would like it or not before you shell out the money. and, another reason why i chose this site is because my technology savvy family members can download the high resolution image (the exact same quality as the one you uploaded) providing great pics for family albums.

hope that helps!

Posted

I give the thumbs up for Picassa, too. If I need to post photos for something specific, I create a new account.

We had a ginormous family reunion last year in Ireland. 4 branches got together from all over the world. Anyway, I created an account with the reunion name and posted the photos, in the original size, for anyone to download if they wished.

I created an account for our bridge club Christmas photos, etc.

None of my albums are public. (I hope not anyway. If you can see them will you let me know)

I will give you a peek of a calendar my daughter made me one year. (slide show is the best way to look at them)

Posted

Am I right in thinking that picasa is getting more tricky for others to view, as it seems to be being effectively merged into google+? I haven't worked out yet if picasa can still be viewed by anyone, with or without a google account. Any enlightenment on that front?

Either way, any good, universal alternatives?

Posted

I quite like Photobucket...

Posted

I guess your parents are refusing to create FB profile and use it. But if you create an album in FB and click on the share button on top u will be shown a link. You can send this link to anyone(need not have an FB account) and they can see the photos by just clicking the link.

Posted

Yes you can share FB albums outside of FB as The Ogre says, but negative publicity means that some people think clicking on any FB link will cause their knickers to be revealed to the whole Interwebs.

Flickr, Shutterfly, Picasa etc. all usually involve some kind of sign in.

Here's another idea - make a slideshow with Powerpoint (save as a .pps file) and email it. This will automatically compress the file size as well, so you can send more pics than just by emailing. As soon as they open it the slideshow will play.

Note: some email filters are wary of pps files so send a pre-mail saying "I'm sending you a slideshow, check your spam folder if you don't see it in ten minutes" Then name the file something friendly like "A photo slideshow for you from Pas" so they can feel safe opening it.

Posted

The other thing about making a slideshow - you can add captions, funny speech bubbles etc. I did this for my mother when she had Alzheimer's, so she didn't have to worry about not recognising people or places in the pictures.

Also I could put the slideshow on repeat and she could watch it many times. You can set the timing (2 - 4 seconds per picture gives people time to digest an image, any more feels slow) and you can set fade-ins and screenwipes to add interest. You can also insert explanatory slides like "A fun day out in Dorset" between groups of images.

Posted

Don't pick Instagram. They recently said they'd sell your photos, then the next day they backpedaled. Owned by FB. Untrustworthy. ;)

Posted

Does anyone have any useful feedback for Flickr?