DKB refused to open an account

85 posts in this topic

Posted

Dear all,

I have seen in many post recommend that DKB is one of the very bank to open an account with. And for me the point that I can withdraw money worldwide without charge suite me vary much.

So I sent the application last week with a little bit of surprise that Deutschepost officer didn't want any document from me at all. But from the application it said I should have copy of my passport and house register with it. At the beginning I though may be it is ok because somehow the Deutschepost officer should know the regulation more than me.

Then after few days of waiting I got the reply from DKB say that they could not open account for me without (any reason mentioned in the letter)

Does anybody here has some experience on this. I could not remember that I have credit issue any where since I just graduate and start working.

Any comment would be appreciated.

Thank you

Cheers

Posted

The DKB sent you a PostIdent form to include with your application. The Deutsche Post should have used your passport etc to fill out the PostIdent form to send to the DKB i.e. to prove you are who you say you are. If he didn't (did you show him the form? & pay a charge?) then DKB won't accept your application.

Posted

You need the Post to do your identity thing. I think it's called PostIdent. You need the guy from the post to look at your passport and sign this form, then put it with your application. Maybe that is why you were refused.

I was also refused to open a DKB account though but not because of the ID thing. I asked them and they said it is because I did not pass their points system. I do not have bad credit here either. At the time I applied for the account, I had been working for 6 months and I do not owe any bills.

I went to wuestenrot.de instead.

Posted

Thank you for the reply RainKing and LeonG,

I went there with the application that the website gave after I filled in the form on DKB's web and I remember they took my passport to fill in something on the computer. But I am sure remember that I didn't pay anything. Probably as LeonG said may be I did not pass their point system neither. Well then I will try also on another bank.

Cheers

Posted

It happened to me too though I have a good salary. Some say it has to do with your visa status and that they are a small bank compared to the biggies and they prefer Germans. Some Germans told me that DKB has East German origins and are therefore suspect of foreigners. Not sure it is true but their point system if they have it cannot be understood by a sane person.

Posted

I think it has to do with the visa status. Very likely to get rejected when you are on "Aufenthalterlaubnis". But when you have PR/NE, it will be accepted.

Posted

It happened to me too though I have a good salary. Some say it has to do with your visa status and that they are a small bank compared to the biggies and they prefer Germans. Some Germans told me that DKB has East German origins and are therefore suspect of foreigners. Not sure it is true but their point system if they have it cannot be understood by a sane person.

What rubbish? Any one who has banked with them will know what utter bullshit Mathew7aby has posted. I have banked with a number of banks and have never come across one bank even close to the quality of service DKB provides. For starters, it's a free account, does not require you to maintain a minimum account balance nor requires you to have a standard flow of money everymonth into your account (like for eg. what Postbank free account does) and you have the liberty of withdrawing cash all over the world without incuring any additional fee and you can withdraw € in any Visa ATM in Euro land and it's completely free too. The exchange rate that they give is way to better compared to other banks.

@ OP, i don't know why your application was rejected. I can just tell you this. You would have got some application reference code or something similar. Write to their customer service and they will reply promptly. I have written many times to them and was shcked/astonished to see how quickly they reply to emails. Most of my emails have been replied within 5 mins. The quickest being witnin 2 minutes. They are very fast and I have been banking with them for many years now. Can only strongly recommend them as they are very good taking into fact you pay NOTHING.

@Mathew7aby, i am sure you have never banked with them (which i can read from your post btw, and secondly, there aren't that many Germans who can understand that banking can be done free of cost too and that there are credit cards without charging an annual fee). I have come across many people who have banked with them and not one has had any hitch with DKB. The only con, if i have to state any is that they don't have any branch as such where you can deposit cash. That having said, i only use my cards, make online transfers and get money wired into my account. So, i don't need any personal assistance.

Cheers

Posted

they are a small bank compared to the biggies ... Some Germans told me that DKB has East German origins and are therefore suspect of foreigners.

Nonsense. While it is true that DKB was founded in East Berlin in 1990, DKB has long been a full subsidiary of Bayerische Landesbank.

Posted

Duckworth,

It is not something I came up with. Some Germans I know said that. Some of my German colleagues tell me that their service is crappy. Why are you getting all riled up? The fact that an account is free does not make the service good. Get that sorted out first. Deutsche Bank has the best service till date as far as prompt replies and being able to speak to them in English are concerned. So, cut the crap. One of my German colleagues told me that DKB did not even replace one of his cards that got lost. Maybe, they treated you well but not everyone gets the same treatment. The reason why I applied for an account with DKB was because I could use their card in any ATM and not get charged and not because I heard that their service is the best. The way you are getting riled up and the way that you are giving me all negatives ( not that I care) makes me wonder if you actually have something to do with the bank. Cool it.You must have heard positive things about it and I have heard negative things about it. In fact, my name was recommended by a German who has had an account with them for ten years. Yet, they rejected the application. Makes one wonder if it really does have to do with my residence permit not being a permanent one which Minga already pointed out. I earn about 20 percent more than that German who has an account. If you like DKB so much , fine. Go sleep with it. I was just pointing out what I heard and given how they rejected my application in spite of me having a way above average salary, I have reason to believe that they indeed are wary of foreigners. If you disagree, fine but stop getting riled up.

Tom a. Are you more German than my German colleagues?

Posted

Duckworth,

It is not something I came up with. Some Germans I know said that. Some of my German colleagues tell me that their service is crappy. Why are you getting all riled up? The fact that an account is free does not make the service good. Get that sorted out first. Deutsche Bank has the best service till date as far as prompt replies and being able to speak to them in English are concerned. So, cut the crap. One of my German colleagues told me that DKB did not even replace one of his cards that got lost. Maybe, they treated you well but not everyone gets the same treatment. The reason why I applied for an account with DKB was because I could use their card in any ATM and not get charged and not because I heard that their service is the best. The way you are getting riled up and the way that you are giving me all negatives ( not that I care) makes me wonder if you actually have something to do with the bank. Cool it.

• I didn't neg you. And if you really didn't care about it, you wouldnot have mentioned it in the first place.
  • I had an account with Deutschebank too. And from my personal experience i told you how quick my replies from DKB have been.
  • My German is good enough that i can do my banking services with it. And btw, if you use a Visa card in any ATM, it will promt you with a language selection. So, for people who are very particular on English it might help. But the online banking service is available in German only.
  • The fact that an account is free does not make the service good. Usually, but DKB's service is very good and to top it it's free.
  • The next point was made clear by yourself.

The reason why I applied for an account with DKB was because I could use their card in any ATM and not get charged and not because I heard that their service is the best.

Given, every bank has it's own pros and cons. The crap that the German banking is, DKB according to me is the better of the worst. You might find many TT'ers agreeing with me. Anyways, i have nothing to do with the bank. But would strongly recommend banking with them. Once again.

Posted

I checked out the DKB giro konto, it seems no minimum monthly, no fees, global atm free withdrawal. Sounds quite ideal, but whats the catch? I find it hard to believe a german bank wont try impose fees somewhere? Is there a maximum of transfers? something that an inspection of the glossy paperwork doesnt show? Apart from questionable service, is there a good reason not to have an account with the dkb just for when travelling?

Posted

Tom a. Are you more German than my German colleagues?

No. And I'm not even a customer of DKB. But various people have independently mentioned DKB to me over the last few months, and their opinions were invariably positive.

Posted

I love the way people on TT accept that others may have a different opinion and do not jump on those with a different one.

Service varies not just from firm to firm but form worker to worker. Check out the various threads on DSL providers.

Example, I would not go neat 1&1 ever again, however some people swear by them. Some people would not go near Arcor, my experience with them has only been good.

I would say that until we know the reason for the rejection any comment is conjecture and hearsay.

I would guess the reason has to do with the OP's visa status, however to be honest, I managed to get a postbank account within 1 month of landing here and while only working as a praktikant.

Unless we know the real reason, we will just have to guess. Should make for an interesting thread..

Posted

I checked out the DKB giro konot, it seems no minimum monthly, no fees, global atm free withdrawal. Sounds quite ideal, but whats the catch? I find it hard to believe a german bank wont try impose fees somewhere? Is there a maximum of transfers? something that an inspection of the glossy paperwork doesnt show? Apart from questionable service, is there a good reason not to have an account with the dkb just for when travelling?

Actually, it is too good to believe. In the 3+ years that i have been banking with them, i have never incured any charge which was out of the ordinary. I make a number of transfers every week and till now have never come across any limitations on transfers. After 3 months of opening the account, they increased my dispo kredit to 3xmy monthly salary. Not that i need dispo, but it is nice to have for the "just in case" situations.

Would be intetested to hear if anyone banking with them have had any "surprise" deduction(S) been made to their account.

Posted

There you go again. You are jumping to conclusions. I mentioned the negative points thingy because it is common practice among some children on this forum to think that they can shut someone up by just clicking on the " minus' sign. That is why I brought it up. Good to know that you are not one of them.

I have an account with Deutsche Bank and my German is good enough too. German is not a problem for me anymore. However, the reason why I chose Deutsche Bank at first was because when I arrived in Germany, I needed a bank that had people who could speak English. I was once charged for something that was not delivered and Deutsche Bank refunded the money back to me in spite of the company in the UK not refunding the charges back to my credit card account. I usually always get prompt replies. Do you want to know the names of the people who said DKB was crappy when it came to service? Okay, here goes; Matthias , Florian and let me think, ah yes, Becker. All are Germans and ethnic Germans.

I wanted to bank with them because of the fact that I did not have to go looking for a Deutsche Bank ATM or a sister concern ATM when I wanted to withdraw money. However, in spite of me paying all my bills till date and in spite of having a higher than average salary, my application was rejected without any reason stated. The only thing was that I have a limited residence permit and that I am not German. What do normal banks look at when you apply to them? As far as I know; whether you have a proper salary and whether you have a bad credit rating or not ( I heard)

Thanks for your recommendation. I appreciate it but I will not go and apply to a bank that rejects my application without any proper reason given. Let me give you a scenario; You walk to a club ; You are well dressed, have a lady on your arm and do not look like any cheap schlemiel. You are clearly non-German and to top it, you are not white. You are suddenly rejected while the guy behind you who is German and who looks like a pot head is let in. What will you think? That you were rejected just randomly? I hope you get my point.

Posted

I mentioned it in the first place because there are some children out here on this forum who think they can shut you up by clicking on the " minus" sign. That does not mean I care about it.

Good to know that you are not one of them.

Do you want to know the names? Here goes; Matthias, Florian and Becker. German is not a problem for me anymore and the reason why I chose DB was that because when I arrived in Germany, I needed a bank that had someone who could speak English. Also, my credit card was once charged by a company in the UK that did not deliver what I ordered. DB gave me a refund in spite of the company not refunding the amount. They also reply promptly to my mails.

Thanks for your suggestion but I do not want to do business with a bank that rejects an application without a proper reason in spite of one having a very good salary and for sure, a good credit rating. Picture this scenario; You walk to a club door with a lady on your arm. You are well dressed and look decent. You are non -German and to top it non-white. You are rejected but a pot head behind you whose only qualification is that he is a German is allowed in. Would you want to go to that club again? I hope you get my point. Peace

Posted

@Mathew,

To be very honest, i am pretty sure that you application was rejected because of your limited visa. This happened to my wife with Postbank too. She has another 2 months of visa left and postbank sent her back to get the visa extended first and then to come to them to open an account. Your case must be similar too. I spoke from my experience and what i have heard. cb6dba made a very good point in his previous post. So, your thing is surely not racial as i know a few African's and Indian's who have accounts with DKB. Just don't get it all wrong.

I can't come to terms with the fact that i have to pay banks in Germany for them to have my money and get charged if i forget to download a statement. On top of that they deduct a tax on what meagre interest that i get for my money. So, i hate the banks in Germany to the core. Things were fine as long as i was a student, but once i started earning, have a feeling that banks have found only ways to eat my money. Hard not to blame them, though that's how banks get money.

So, i found a bank which provides free service, hassel free ATM withdrawls in Germany and if i have a positive balance in the VISA card (though i struggly to have some money there), the interest rate that they offer is way better than what other banks offer. Based on these points, i am very happy and content with the DKB and it's services.

Peace :rolleyes:

Posted

I am pissed too when I have to pay a bank a service fee when close to 3000 Euros every month is credited to my account ( after tax) . It is ridiculous and I agree with you. This is one of the reasons I wanted to open an account with DKB . However, there are other banks too like Commerzbank that let you have a free account when at least 1300 Euros is credited every month. I am not saying that DKB is racist. They could be wary of foreigners or maybe it has to do with my visa but then again, after this I approached Wuestenrot and talked to their customer service agent. I asked her if I should apply now ( at that time) because I only had a few months left on my visa. She told me that the visa status does not matter and she told me to apply. I forgot to mention this to you.

Anyways, good that you were accepted. Enjoy the free services:)

Posted

I was recently refused to open an account too, and I didn't even ask for a VISA or Maestro card (for now I don't need them), just the basic account without card. I am an EU citizen.

They refuse to tell me the reasons of this. Can it have to do with the fact that I'm in Germany only since 6 months, and I opened my first bank account with HVB in March, so my credit history in this country is less than 6 months? Can it also have to do with the fact that I opened a Tagesgeld account with comDirect a few months ago, and closed it after shortly (I was only interested in the 5000 AirBerlin TopBonus miles they give to new customers :D )?

Is there any way to use bank account statements from my UK and Italian banks to prove that I'm a good customer, solvent, etc...

Thanks a lot

Posted

Can it also have to do with the fact that I opened a Tagesgeld account with comDirect a few months ago, and closed it after shortly (I was only interested in the 5000 AirBerlin TopBonus miles they give to new customers

Yes, this will appear as a negative rating on your credit history (shufa).

Posted

Honestly - it's ridiculous. Are people ALLOWED to have different views on a particular subject matter or WHAT?

Posted

Yes, this will appear as a negative rating on your credit history (shufa).

Do you know if there is anything I can do to help myself pass their credit checks, like sending them a copy of my payslip? How many months do I have to wait for this to be ignored by them?

I reckon that it was quite stupid to open and close shortly afterwards the comDirect account, but I didn't realize this could have an impact on any future "personal credit score"...

Thank you

Posted

I was denied an account by DKB and as they explained to me at the time, they were offering a package including a visa card and so as I didn't qualify for a credit card, they could not give me an account. In any case, if you got just the regular account, you would have problems getting out money from it unless there are DKB cash machines where you live. If you use a non-DKB cash machine to take out money with your EC card, you pay 10€ each time. As for why I didn't qualify, they could or would not really say except that they had a points system and that I didn't get a high enough score. I was at the time for almost a year in Germany, had been working more than 6 months but not a particularly high paying job.

I went to Wuestenrot instead and now have a free account with them with a pre-paid visa card.

Posted

Hi, I was also refused a DKB account. On the application, they wanted my addresses for the last 3 years. I guess they rejected me because I hadn't been in Germany for 3 years. Applied instead to comdirect.de as they're only interested in the last 2 years' addresses.

Posted

Thanks for your recommendation. I appreciate it but I will not go and apply to a bank that rejects my application without any proper reason given.

It's normal thay they dont give you a reason. They will check your Schufa rating, and depending on the results, with either let you open the account or not. If you have a bad credit history etc, then you will be rejected. It's not in their interest to inform you what your schufa score was. They themselves pay for that info, so why should they tell it to you for free. You can check your own schufa rating yourself, to check if anything is amiss.