Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Internet via Satellite

34 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone out there get their internet via a Satellite link? I would be interested to hear people's opinions about the practicalities, limitations, service providers, cost etc. I've given up on DSL from Telekom (long story short - Deutsche Telekom's customer service is a - expletive deleted - disgrace) and we're in a UMTS hole (tried a Yagi antenna, to no avail). I need the internet at home for my job and I'm currently connecting to my neighbour's WLAN - with their approval - from our garden shed! If my employer found out, I'd probably be fired!

I'm all out of ideas and would be grateful for any help to get on line.

Thanks in advance :)

Posted

I had Satellite when I first got here in 2003/2004. It was only the satellite for DOWNLOADS and the UPLOADS (and download requests) went via a normal Telekom ISDN cable.

It worked, was kinda OK but of course upload speeds were rubbish - so a pain when emailing files etc. Download speeds could be fast, but also could be patchy.

I did see that these days you can get 2 way satellite (up and down) which I think is what you would need really.

I did then have a weird microwave system which was pretty good. Company called SmartDSL - although was pants in bad weather and you need to be close to one of their transmitters.

I assume you can't get cable?

Posted

The upload speed is indeed the killer (not heard of this 2 way sat system that JE mentions before).

As well as the obvious things like sending email, even using the web is gonna be a bit naff. So many pages know are crammed with so much viewstate rubbish, that even simple page requests can turn into quick big "uploads" for a standard phone line.

Posted

2 way does exist.

http://www.avcbroadband.com/

That was a quick link #1 on google...no idea about the exact german suppliers etc.

Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_Internet_access#Two-way_satellite-only_communication

Posted

Don't know about internet but my sat TV is often interrupted by the weather such as yesterday's monsoon rain here in Munich. Heavy snow clouds are also a problem.

Posted

Thanks to you all for the very helpful, informative replies.

miwild, the Filiago link is especially interesting - thanks. Their €49 special offer looks particularly inviting, except for the 2Gb monthly data restriction. Desperate though I am, the extra flatrate cost would, unfortunately, make the package too expensive.

Posted

My expierence using Sat. internet is that it sucks, at least in the US. Weather destroyed the signal a lot of time making it hard quite often.

Posted

Also latency is horrible on Satellite. Dont try to make voice calls or play games over it.

Posted

...I'm rapidly going off the satellite option!

Maybe I should mount my Yagi on an extended mast to try and receive a workable UMTS signal :(

Posted

worth checking all your options on here:

http://www.zukunft-breitband.de/Breitband/Portal/Navigation/Breitbandatlas/breitbandsuche.html?url=breitbandsuche01&locID=09772209&Technik=0&Nutzertyp=alle&plzOrt=86836&command=showLoc

Posted

For general internet use SkyDSL+ works very well and is one of the better established providers across Europe. This is a bi-directional flatrate service over satellite. They have a current deal for a 3500kbs/384kbs connection for €39.90/month, but there is a €699 setup charge (or an additional €58.25/month for the first 12 months). They do have a "fair use" policy related to usage over a time period rather than a fixed data consumption - this means you may need to change the approach you use for internet, postponing big downloads to times of the day where you can avoid consequential surfing restrictions.

Posted

I understand the possible weather-related problems - especially from snow - inherent in satellite reception but, can anyone tell me if the latency issue is largely overcome in two-way - RX/TX - systems? I can imagine that it is.

Posted

No, the latency issue is not over come by 2 way systems. in-fact its 2x worse than using a separate landline for upload.

Instead of long latency in 1 direction (download) you now have it on the upload as well.

Posted

I wouldnt say LARGELY overcome, and I wouldn't trust it for reliable voice calls, even if the latency has been improved. For data, its not a big deal.

Posted

even if the latency has been improved

that requires increasing the speed of light... :)

Posted

Actually, its the speed of sound (343 metres per second (1,125 ft/s) seeing as Satts. use radio waves, not lasers. ;)

The avg. response time/delay in a 2 way satt. system is around 400-450ms (But can be as high as 700-750ms)

Anybody interested in Satt. Internet needs to do some reading. Start Here or here

Posted

Exactly.

Well, they have some tricks that they do, like: "TCP acceleration", "HTTP pre-fetching" and DNS caching, but these are more band-aids, I think.

Posted

No, the latency issue is not over come by 2 way systems. in-fact its 2x worse than using a separate landline for upload.

Instead of long latency in 1 direction (download) you now have it on the upload as well.

This does not make sense to me. In a one-way system there is still an uplink to the Satellite but with the added latency of a ground network connection to the satellite ground station - wherever that may be located. Unless of course a home uplink is slower because of lower tx power (I don't think so).

Posted

I stand corrected.

Look out! Sky falling!

Posted

I had T-DSL per satellite back in 2003. The fastest internet speed in our area at the time (landline) was ISDN. The download speed is ok but the upload relies on your ISDN channel (64kb). Had to align the dish 19.2 degrees south (Astra) and used a internal PCI card (Pinnacle PCTV Sat in my case) There was the external box option too. Then came T-DSL light (384kb) in our area in ca. 2004 and I promptly switched to it.

Posted

I've just ordered Telekom's Call & Surf Comfort via Funk!. It offers 3.000kbit/s although my friend has it and reckons to get faster speeds. Maybe interesting to anyone who lives in a remote area without high speed internet?

Posted

That's not satellite (the subject of this thread). It's essentially an enhanced wireless service (called "LTE" or 4G mobile netwok) with a connection to a nearby mast which Telekom (and others) are rolling out in areas where ADSL coverage is poor. Theoretically LTE can run at speeds up to 120Mbit/s but Telekom is playing safe by currently formally offering 3Mbit/s. Actual speeds can be around 5Mbit/s depending on reception quality and shared use by others.

I presume you are aware, that like other mobile network services the transfer speed is cut to 1Mbit/s after 3Gb of data in a month, then to 384Kbit/s after 5Gb...