Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Unemployment Benefits for non-EU freelancer

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Is there is such a thing an Unemployment Benefits for a non-EU citizen who has been working as a freelancer in the last 2 years? Can anyone direct me to some resource to find out more about this topic?

Thanks

Posted

I tried finding more info on TT, but I could not find any freelance specific threads, but they do have a wiki page and a bunch of threads with general info, where it may be addressed.

I know it was mentioned before, and I have a feeling you have to work a minimum time, but of course that is different as a freelancer.

Good luck.

Posted

As a freelancer you can contribute ca. 18 Euro per month to the Agentur für Arbeit.

Those payments are called freiwillige Arbeitslosenversicherung.

If paid said amount over a certain period and you have to close your business you then are entitled to unemployment benefits.

Posted

If you haven't been paying unemployment insurance, you have no claim to benefits. This applies equally no matter whether you are an EU citizen or not. If you're in a truly dire situation, you might be eligible for Arbeitslosengeld II (or Hartz IV as it is known popularly), but you'd have to ask the welfare office about that.

Sorry.

Posted

Thank you all for the prompt response.

Posted

Hi Zefix,

So, do you know what the acceptable period is for making 'Freiwillige Arbeitslosenversicherung' in order to then qualify for some kind of unemployment benefit in the event a freelancer is out of a project/job and it takes a while before the next assignment?

I am in a situation where its already 2 months since my last project ended prematurely and I have a feeling I won't be able to secure the next project at least until end Jan 2013 if I'm lucky. It could be longer which I have experienced in the past. Therefore, is Harz IV the only option? And would you or anyone out there know what the criteria is to be legible for Harz IV benefit as a freelancer?

Much appreciated :-)

Alpine Dreamer

Posted

It is a freiwillige Weiterversicherung, i.e. you need to have already been paying into it to opt in (it is meant for people who were previously employed/receiving ALGI and are already in the system). You'd have to pay into the system for at least 12 months as an employee first in order to be eligible.