Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kabelbw problems and customer care

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi. I am new to this site.

I have kabelbw at home and I pay for the international packet in English. Sky news is no longer available all day. In the mornings I get CNBC (boring!!) and in the evening FashionTV (WHAT!!!). The English packet is crap. I phoned Kabelbw 5 times (paying 14 cents a minute for problems nothing to do with me!!) and each time get a different answer. Twice they even hung up on me. They have the worst customer care I have seen. There is no way to complain to them either!

My advice is stay away from Kabelbw. They are crooks!

Jonty14

Posted

I've also noticed that some of the kid's channels like Boomerang GB will broadcast in German.

Posted

Well..

Everyone wants cheaper and cheaper calls, internet and TV..

So when You dont want to pay them for a good service, How can you expect a good service in return?

Posted

I so agree with you. Worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. And from a so-called communications company.You never get to speak to the same person twice and I advise keeping a record of all your phone calls with the hotline. This company lie if they think they can get away with it. We paid for an almost non-existent service for 2 years and are still doing battle with them 18 months later. We cancelled as they did not provide the service we were paying for, followed everything they told us to do, were accused of not sending back Smartcards etc. I suggest sending all correspondence to them via registered mail and accept nothing they tell you over the phone. A very unscrupulous company indeed.

Posted

So today a guy dressed in a KableBW shirt but looking pretty ratty on a bicycle rings my doorbell and tells me he has to come in an have a look at my connection. I told him no way. There's nothing wrong with my cable and the company should send a letter in advance if they need to get into my apartment with a damn good reason. I am thinking the guy might be from GEZtapo but if so they are doing some pretty tricky things dressing their boys up like KabelBW technicians. He had some kind of ID hanging on his neck and he gave me a KabelBW postcard with a sticker on it with his telephone number. Still, seems pretty weird. Anyone else experience this?

Posted

Door-to-door sales. You'll probably see the guy in a Alice shirt next week.

Posted

Anyone manage to disable to parental controls entirely on the KabelBW box? It's annoying as hell and their website says that it can't be disabled because of the youth protection laws. Maybe some hacks?

Posted

Before I go to a KabelBW store, I thought I'd ask here. What is the exact step-by-step procedure to activate a SmartCard?

I've looked at this link: https://www.kabelbw.de/kabelbw/cms/service/schnelleinstieg/haeufige-fragen/index.html?cats=1_Videothek,SmartCard

All it says is that I just insert the card into the cable box. In the paper instructions, it says the same thing, but to tune to any channel (I picked RTL 1001) and leave it on that channel for an hour. I've done so since last night on the same channel, and I did a channel scan this morning, but I still get the same 7 channels (from 1001 to 1007).

Posted

I've got a friend who wants to sign up for KabelBW with internet only. I have this very setup - no TV - just internet. However, the contractor who seems to have some exclusive contract for her building is saying she has to pay for a TV connection too. She doesn't have a TV and doesn't want crappy German TV. Anyone else been "forced" to have TV too? I had no problem signing up and saying I don't require a TV anschluss. She's trying to contact KabelBW and threaten to cancel her pending contract but hasn''t gotten through to them yet. Seems like typical German anticonsumer behavior.

Posted

Before I go to a KabelBW store, I thought I'd ask here. What is the exact step-by-step procedure to activate a SmartCard?I've looked at this link: https://www.kabelbw.de/kabelbw/cms/service/schnelleinstieg/haeufige-fragen/index.html?cats=1_Videothek,SmartCardAll it says is that I just insert the card into the cable box. In the paper instructions, it says the same thing, but to tune to any channel (I picked RTL 1001) and leave it on that channel for an hour. I've done so since last night on the same channel, and I did a channel scan this morning, but I still get the same 7 channels (from 1001 to 1007).

Check to make sure the card is fully inserted. If I recall correctly it goes in very tightly and seems to stop but has a little bit more to go for it to make contact. But of course this is dependent on the manufacturer of the box.

Posted

I've got a friend who wants to sign up for KabelBW with internet only. I have this very setup - no TV - just internet. However, the contractor who seems to have some exclusive contract for her building is saying she has to pay for a TV connection too. She doesn't have a TV and doesn't want crappy German TV. Anyone else been "forced" to have TV too? I had no problem signing up and saying I don't require a TV anschluss. She's trying to contact KabelBW and threaten to cancel her pending contract but hasn''t gotten through to them yet. Seems like typical German anticonsumer behavior.

Kabel BW provides its internet and telephone service over a coax cable which delivers the so called "free" tv channels to your house. This connection fee could be associated with the use and maintenance of infrastructure (the cable itself). My apartment rent contract includes the cable connection fee in my rent (landlord pays collectively for all apartments at a discounted price) and thus I don't pay for the connection directly but I pay for the services I use through kabelbw.

Do you pay for this connection within your rent or not?

Posted

I don't pay for a TV connection. In fact on the KabelBW web form, they ask you how you watch TV (SAT, DVB) and when you click one of these then you do not need a tv connection. It's not about whether it is a coax cable or not but rather if you want the TV signal or not. On my outlet, there is no TV signal being sent.

But I just heard that KabelBW has no control over the deals the building owner makes with external companies and are happy to provide internet services with no tv connection. But if the owner requires a TV connection then you have to pay him or his contractor. Stupid really as it is not technically required.

Posted

But I just heard that KabelBW has no control over the deals the building owner makes with external companies and are happy to provide internet services with no tv connection. But if the owner requires a TV connection then you have to pay him or his contractor. Stupid really as it is not technically required.

I guess that the landlord has a contract with the service provider which offers a discount if all apartments are connected. That's why you might have to pay whether you use it or not.

Posted

Si far KabelBW internet has been pretty good. We've been having problems with the TV part since day one and are on our 3rd Cable Box now. The TV menu lags, some of the English Channels have US shows that say that give the option to broadcast in English but have no audio when you switch to English, the Channel Menu just pops up at random times on its own, and there's also this annoying complete silence like someone wants to mute all ambient noise directly in between the English dialogue.

So far, the cable box switching isn't doing much but at least customer service seems to be trying something.

Posted

Hey all - we've just arrived here and have been searching for good CABLE internet, not DSL. I am having issues understanding/translating the Kabel website, but based on the most recent posts on this thread, and some others I have seen, Kabel is in fact cable internet, and a good choice?

My husband put me in charge of getting cable internet set up today and I just want to make sure I'm making the best decision, so far. I have been searching TKS which appears to be DSL and O2, which I can't seem to decipher from their website/translation. It appears to be DSL as well and primarily a cell phone carrier. Sorry for my ignorance, this was a last minute assignment for me and I'm getting frustrated.

I was going to get the internet only service as we have established our VPN, already. It seems you guys are happy with the speed, do you download a lot of movies, live tv/streaming as well? Would you recommend KabelBW in the Sindelfingen area for these functions? We will not be getting a TV package as we plan to watch everything from the internet. If it's as good as I think, I plan to head over to the big electronic mart by Brunegerland sometime today to sign up, or at least get a contract to review with someone.

Posted

@ hollydaygo

Where do you live and do you have cable access in your house? When you do not have cable access in your house, then you will not be able to use internet via cable (no, they also will not dig up the ground for one customer). When you have cable access in your house, then you will be able to use the cable provider who provides your cable access, so you will not have a provider choice.

Most of germany uses dvb-s or dvb-t for TV (satellite and terrestrial broadcast) and the telephone line for internet. Only 50% of german households have the possibiltiy to use cable. So ask your janitor or landlord, if you have cable access in your house.

What is wrong with DSL?

Posted

Hey all - we've just arrived here and have been searching for good CABLE internet, not DSL.

Depending on where you live LTE might also be an option to look at. It offers very high speed (up to 100 MByte/sec) in some areas, sometimes higher than the fastest DSL available (that's what I was told at least).

Posted

The theoretical Max speed of LTE is 300MB, however that's only in a controlled lab environment.

The max speed you will actually see in the real world is around 50-70MB and thats only if you're extremely lucky.

Posted

Just like to add my bad experience with KabelBW, I strongly recommend to stay away from them.

I had a connection, but then I moved city. I cancelled my account as they could not supply service to the new address.

This was after the initial 24 months contract (which you have no way to get out of), but during the next 12 months contract

that they created and didnt tell or ask me about (apparently you need to send in a written cancelation 3 months before the

aniversary of your contract). The exception is if you move and they cannot supply the new address.

So I sent in my cancelation and change of address, recieved letters for the return of the modem etc so I thought everything was fine.

Latter I discovered that they were still trying to charge for the full year, so I asked them what was going on. After many times of

them not answering the question I finally got a reply saying I should send in proof of my change of address - which I did.

Suddenly over six months latter I get a debt collection letter - I called KabelBW and they had changed my address back to the old one

(so I didnt know they were charging me) and prentend to not have recieved either of my letters!!! Apparently this is not an isolated case

So I only have two options now - pay the now inflated bill or find legal help.

Posted

My internet has been down for 6 days now. It died the day after the inital install. KabelBW has not gotten back in touch with me on an actual app't date to investigate the problem. Am I being a whiny american or is it legit to think that this is unacceptable?