Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Holidays while registered with the Arbeitsamt

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a friend from the UK who is in Germany now with his girlfriend and is registered unemployed at the Arbeitsamt but is not claiming any money.

He was telling me he stayed with them for something to do with continuity in his pension but that's all.

He's going on holiday soon, does he need to tell them?

Thanks.

Posted

ALG1 or ALG2?

In either case, they're just gonna bin his whole file if he doesn't react to letters. Also, more than 3 months on the dole? Otherwise, no permission for holiday allowed. Doesn't really matter whether he's getting money.

Posted

I think it's still ALG1.

He was working here for a while and then claimed money for a year and now it's stopped but he hasn't changed registration.

It's still with the Arbeitsamt.

Only difference is now he gets no money at all.

Posted

ALG I is time limited depending how long he worked for, up to a max 12 months IIRC. He then needs to make another claim with the ARGE to receive ALG II/Hartz IV. It isn't automatic, they don't backdate claims and you can get yourself in a pickle with health insurance if you're not careful.

As for this guy's claim, his ALG I has stopped. They don't care where he is so there's no point in notifying them he's on holiday. Best thing would be to claim ALG II and go on holiday when the claim comes through because it can take some toing and froing to get all the necessary forms which would be impossible from abroad. Or delay the ALG II claim till he gets back.

Posted

Wheel is totally correct your in Germany you have to inform yourself of your rights here

Posted

Best thing would be to claim ALG II and go on holiday when the claim comes through

Not possible immediately, the ARGE will not give him vacation time during the first three months. If he goes without officially applying for vacation ("unerlaubt OA") they're immediately cutting him off, including all side payments such as health insurance. And will make it quite a bit more difficult for him to reapply.

Posted

Does anyone know the holiday allowance for ALG I? Do they ever turn down a request? Thanks

Posted

I'm on the ALG I form the December 2012 (just few days). Later in the month I'm getting married and subseqently I'm going for 2 weeks honeymoon. Can anyone advise (or have experience) how such a holidays are treated by Arbeitsamt? (I read that normally they do not allow any holidays in the first three months of unemployment benefit.

Thanks!

Posted

I have heard of a situation where someone had booked a honeymoon for end of May until the middle of June, with ALG I benefits being due to commence on 1 June. They had a receipt that confirmed that the non-refundable honeymoon plane ticket was booked well in advance of even knowing the job was ending. In that situation, the holiday was approved and the benefits were not affected. Can you prove you booked it before you applied for benefits? That might help. In any case, asking your individual case worker in person about your individual case is always a good idea, if possible, instead of trying to get a generic answer from the Arbeitsagentur phone hotline.

Posted

Well, I booked before applying for unemployment benefits, but after the date I knew I would loose a job. When I asked about the upcoming honeymoon at Arbeitsamt during the first meeting to discuss jobs I had applied for, I received an answer that I would have to register the fact few days before the departure through the hotline.

My understanding is similar to RedTapeTranslation, that someone on hotline will do the straight interpretation of the regulations when deciding whether or not to grant me an holiday (this is highly probable to be adverse for me). I really need to keep my benefit but I'm not ready to change my life plans over the potential meeting. At the end it is 2 weeks I will be off (first two weeks of 2013).

Does anyone know what is the usual time between Arbeitsamt meeting notification and actual meeting (NRW)? My first meeting had 1 month notice, but I do not think that's a standard...

Posted

I'm also ok with vacations being unpaid (not receiving ALG I for the 10 working days I'm off).

Posted

Would it not be easier to say you are exercising your right to look for work in other European countries while claiming benefits rather than calling it holiday?

Posted

Thank you very much Europaeuropa for interesting advice. Actually my profession is typically international, so that could work :) Could you please refer me to any materials or comment broader on my right to look for work in other countries? Also, do you have any experience in discussing such a search with Arbeitsamt?