Giving blood as a foreigner in Germany

74 posts in this topic

Posted

Are they ever likely to allow Brits to give blood?

I would quite like to trade some blood for some notes as i am skint.

post-16-1118264984.jpg

Posted

sorry if you lived in the uk for more than six months between '85 and '96 (i think) they wont take your blood due to BSE, or rather kreuz-jacob which suprisingly has nothing to do with cheese bisciuts. they also dont take AB blood group. which has nothing to do with cows, nor madness.

Posted

I don't get it. They pay you money for your blood? Germans don't donate blood?

Posted

20 or 26 euros a go or in this region.

Posted

They do not pay us to give our blood in South Africa. But they give us really nice bicuits and juice to drink, and if you donate 4 times in one year, they give you a nice pen or a coffee mug with a big blood drop on it!

Posted

Bood donation in Germany is a volunteer thing like in Britain, no cash, I thought?

Don't take blood off gay men or women who have bisexual male partners either.

Though women whose husbands regular visit the Hansastrasse are more than welcome. :rolleyes:

Posted

I too assumed it was like Britain (or SA) where you get tea and biscuits afterwards (and time off work where applicable).

But then I wouldn't know, because they won't let me donate. Not because I'm a British citizen, but because I've spent too much time in the UK in the recent past.

I have run out of comments to make on this subject and just smile wryly (sp?) when it's mentioned.

Posted

I heard that in the emerald isle ,when you donate blood you get no cash ,but either tea,coffee or a pint of guinness,cos its high in iron.

Posted

funny that, isnt it usualy after guinness that someone makes you bleed?

Posted

Sorry (again) but a couple of thoughts:

(a) in countries where blood is paid for (Japan, USA) the quality is far lower than in, say, England; and

(B) it is advisable for men to donate once in a while because, rugby games aside, we are not forced "re-fresh" our supply regularly in the way women are.

I'm on 19 pints - one short of a free National Donation Service Beer Flask - in England.

ps. don't donate blood the day before you run a lot.

Posted

TT article on blood donation

I went down there about 6 months ago to donate...filled in all the forms, picked out a gift (you get a gift the first time) had a thumb prick test, then was led to the donating room where they told me to bugger off FOREVER cuz I'm a Brit. we have a lifelong ban apparently.

even though I've been vegetarian since I was 13 years old!!!

gah!

I just donate when I go home to Blighty now.

Posted

I heard that in the emerald isle ,when you donate blood you get no cash ,but either tea,coffee or a pint of guinness,cos its high in iron.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was the case in England too, until they realised that people were bending all the rules and "operating heavy machinery" after their visit to the blood donor centre.

We only have 12 pints of blood in our system. Take one away and replace it with a couple of Guinesses, and you are set for a particularly weird kind of inebriation.

Posted

12 pints of blood? I think its closer to 8...

Posted

Checked and can concur that you don't. Sorry.

Anyhow - I read a study that said in some countries people are/were paid for blood, and the quality is therefore lower (tramps, inmates, diseases, people lying on forms; etc.)

@Sleepless - how much is 5 litres? "The average adult has about five liters of blood living inside of their body, coursing through their vessels, delivering essential elements, and removing harmful wastes. Without blood, the human body would stop working."

Posted

If you really need to get some money from giving your blood you could try looking into doing a clinical drugs trial.

I know that there is a company here in Munich that runs them regularly and they advertise in the "In München" magazine.

I used to do them quite a lot when I was a student/unemployed back in Ireland.

Obviously the longer trials will pay more but there are often a few that only require 2 weekends or so.

You basically go in, take some drugs and then have them take blood out all day to test absorption rates and the like. Good money as well.

Posted

@mtv, just looked it up...we split the difference. 10 pints of blood it is.

Posted

I'm going to have a OG moment (you are wrong above), but not quite an OG moment (you were initially righter - 5 litres = 8.7997184 pts).

Nrrrrrrr ...

Posted

My father has been giving blood for years at pelican house in dublin,at first i thought it was for the free drinks until he told me he is a fairly rare blood type,regis o negetive ,which apparently is a universal blood type and can be give to anyone,so its used for emergency transfusions.