Zollamt in Germany

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi

Just wanted to say, that I know about how the customs work here, as I recently bought something from the US and had to pick it up from my local zollamt in Ludenscheid and pay 2.2% duty and 19% import tax, bit unfair but hey this is how things work here. I just wanted to know, I ordered a phone from China, I just tracked it and it says its been handed to customs in Frankfurt (not good for me as that is about 2 hours away!) Will they keep the phone there for me to pick up? Or send it to my local Zollamt, or deliver it and send me a bill to pay?

Thanks for any help

and sorry if there are already topics like this I have a 6 month old so time is scarce!

Thanks again :)

Posted

local zollamt everytime. Everything goes through frankfurt.

Posted

bit unfair but hey this is how things work here

Did you ever buy anything overseas when you were in the US?

Posted

Not sure what you mean kthy?

My mum bought me a Kitchen Aid Mixer from the US, and I paid a total of 51 euros (duty and tax) at my local Zollamt, now I am buying a transformer so I can use it here! Also from America but it comes to about 23 dollars so it should not go through customs as converting it to Euros its less then 22, and if its more than 22 it will stay at customs for you to pay import tax etc then take it home with you.

Posted

Not sure what you mean kthy?

You are American, and apparently find it "unfair" that Germany charges import tax and duty on items bought outside the EEA. If you had tried to buy items from overseas while in the US, you would have discovered that the US also charges these highly unfair import taxes.

Posted

the zollamt here is nothing like in america. every single package I had recieved here (always used clothes one piece at a time) has been opened here and looked through. if the seller forgets to mark the value on the customs card than they bring me down there just to show them a reciept. in america, for one, you could do all this on the phone\fax\computer and they won't hall you down there for it. second, i mean these are used dresses. it's apperant and also written there. i was never taxed for any of the items I ordered even for those that did cost over 45 euros.

I think they jump on the opportunity to stall items that they will not tax just to discourage people from buying abroad, and charge storage fees. to add to all this once i literraly begged them to fax them the reciept because i couldn't really go and after paying storage fees (no tax) they lost my package. i'm still trying to get it.

my friend here recieved 400$ worth of homopathic cinammon pills from her homopathic doctor and not only did they not let them through (ridiculous) they told her they won't send them back because the procedure with un-authorized pills is that they must destroy them. they also said she must be present during the time of the destruction of the pills. and no, the pills are not illegal in germany. she's just not allowed to import them.

and bottom line is that no, the customs here are nothing like in america. i have never had any piece of clothing stopped in america (when ordering from outside) and i order a lot of them. and I never had a customs not found inside a package of mine in america. sure if i'll order a 1000$ camera from china it would be a different story.

Posted

Failing to properly declare goods delays them through customs. The Zollamt is not the post office. News at 11.

Posted

That would be because the US does not have a Vat, so not nearly as many items (unless illegal) are stopped.

But this how dare they attitude is really distasteful.

I have only had one issue, when I had a carton of cigs sent. I assumed it was the same as the plane 1 carton tax free, but only 50 are in the mail. So I paid a fee about 40 euro.

Other then that, I cannot even recall one package being opened, and I receive them rather often.

Posted

Frankfurt is usually the first destination that air-freighted goods will reach. I think goods are then normally forwarded to the local Zollamt. It just takes a bit of time - if it is not properly declared, you may have to wait a couple of weeks for it to be dealt with.

About 4 years ago, I imported an mp3 player via an ebay seller & paid the usual EU import duties on it at the local Zollamt in Düsseldorf. I threw all the Zoll paperwork away with the guarantee. I then got a follow up from the Hauptzollamt (central duty office) in Krefeld asking me to pay the duty. I couldn't prove that I had already paid it, so I had to repay! It was only a few €, but did make me think about properly storing paperwork!

Posted

Hi all,

I just wrote this blog article, mainly for fun, and since I published it less than 24 hours ago, I've been getting heaps of hilarious e-mails with awesome stories about customer experiences at the Zollamt. They've been making me laugh so hard, I thought I'd revive this thread, and extend the invitation to Toytown. Tis the season, and I can't be the only one out there procrastinating this week.

The blog article is here, so far no public comments, just private e-mails. Feel free to chip in.

Merry Christmas from the Zollamt

Cheers

Kathleen

Posted

WOW! If you live near the border, there are roving Zoll officers ready to search you, especially when you have stopped to use the toliet. I see them all the time shaking down vans and normal cars. I sometimes wonder has Germany really recovered from its police state mentality?

Posted

I bought a Grand Piano in without problems, and 2 shipments of 5 CBM personal items they just need someone who can give them the correct paperwork

As they were personal items owned 6 months no import tax's were paid. Just 1600 Euros broker fees Security fees, conversion of currency from Euros to Euro fees?(computer said no) inc land transport in Germany, It actually costs less to bring in a 40HC container.

Posted

WOW! If you live near the border, there are roving Zoll officers ready to search you, especially when you have stopped to use the toliet. I see them all the time shaking down vans and normal cars. I sometimes wonder has Germany really recovered from its police state mentality?

I did see a PL truck get pulled over the other day by a van with a customs sign on the back window near the dutch. Probably just checking if your fuel is red or yellow if someone pea-ed in your tank with out paying duty. Which border do you mean Jimmmy EU or Swiss? Have you tried customs in Australia, Everyone gets checked and all bags x-rayed at the airport, I had a friend warned that he should have declared this toe clippers as a dangerous weapon did he not understand the form? So when they say they need overtime because they found 30,000 dangerous weapons last year.

Posted

Probably just checking if your fuel is red or yellow if someone pea-ed in your tank with out paying duty.

Actually near the dutch border they will be looking for drugs, since a rather good proportion of tourists who cross that border do it to score some weed.

Bringing a tank full of fuel across the border is perfectly legal.

Posted

Bringing a tank full of fuel across the border is perfectly legal.

Yes your correct but not if its the Red dyed fuel that's what farmers can use with no road taxs. Trucks from certain EU states have duel hidden tanks. A number of large boats have been fined in Hamburg as its legal in the USA/UK to use Red fuel in boats but not in Germany. Of course the only place that cares to check.

Why did Jimmy get so many negative votes?

Posted

I'm still waiting on a package sent from the US on December 10. No notice in the mailbox either to go to the Zollamt. Does anyone know if they accept calling to ask for a package? The last time I was there I felt like I was in the movie Brazil. So I am not so confident that I'll get some friendly Gerry who say "Ah yes sir, let me look that up for you, sir!"

Posted

Dealing with the same thing right now with my main worry being that they'll send the item back without informing me about it. I'm also not sure which Zollamt to contact as I live in Ketsch; Mannheim or Heidelberg?

Either way, I contacted the seller on the US side today and they were great. The apologized for the delay and told me to give them a yell on Monday and, if it's not there, they'll send me another one that day. Sigh...I miss that kind of customer service. :)

Posted

Ketsch should be Mannheim. It's out in the Handelshafen docklands across from Jungbusch.

Posted

Thanks, Rho. Best of luck to both of us. :P

Posted

Yep, it's Mannheim.

This list is technically only for Ausfuhrzoll, but the responsibilities should be the same.

The responsibilities between Heidelberg and Mannheim do not match any political borders, not even the pre-1970 Mannheim / Heidelberg Landkreis borders. With PLZ 68xxx, Ladenburg, Heddesheim and St. Leon-Rot belong to Heidelberg, all other 68xxx PLZ belong to Mannheim.

In doubt, always refer to the one on the Benachrichtigungskarte you get. That's where they actually delivered it.