Sunday shopping anywhere

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi

I am just in Munich for a few days at the moment but will be moving here in September. I'm staying out East about 2 miles from Ostbahnoff, and was wondering where I can I buy food on a Sunday?

I'm just too used to London I guess as it becomes like a ghost town here on the Sunday. Is everyone partying too hard on Saturday?

Its too late for today but for future reference it would be very handy to know where I can score.

I don't mind jumping on the tram to get some supplies, the 19 stops right outside the apartment.. so any help, mucho appreciated.

Posted

Oh dear!

About the only place where a small supermarket is open on Sunday here is the airport - and the opening hours are limited.

Once you move here you do get used to shopping throughout the week to incorporate Sunday requirements as well!

Posted

:) thank you

Posted

Sometimes, usually four times a year, regular shops are allowed to open on a Sunday, otherwise the title of your post answers your question "for the love of god, nowhere", the church has its recidivist digits well and truly meshed in the state to the detriment of us all.

Look for signs advertising "markt sonntag" or the likes.

Posted

Ok so i live right at Munich Central Station, but it is sunday and all market is closed in this GOD forsaken city.

Can you tell me where can i find milk?

thanks

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Posted

Try the little shop at the Main Train Station in the level between the main hall and the entrance to the U2. Take the stairs going underneath the florist shop and turn left at the bottom. If it's really only milk you can get half-liter cartons at the Rischart bakery shop or the other snack stalls in the departure hall.

And it's more or less God and the unions that are keeping shops shut on Sunday.

Posted

Yorma's by platform 26 is also open on Sundays...

Posted

If you don't mind driving to the main airport, there is plenty of shopping on Sunday, all shops were open and it was like a small shopping mall in there. A full variety of shops, clothes, souveniers, books, luggage, food, groceries, just about anything you need. Prices were consistent from what I saw at the regular stores. And didn't need to go through security, most shops were located in the main terminal.

Posted

Ok so i live right at Munich Central Station, but it is sunday and all market is closed in this GOD forsaken city.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

The reason that the shops are closed is because God actually lives here , not that he's forsaken us. Same reason the bells ring early on a Sunday morning. He likes it that way.

Anyway, I did notice that the shop at Ostbahnhof (can't remember the name) has closed down at that unit will be re-opening as a DM shortly. The sign outside the door indicates it will be open on a Sunday. Not that DM do a lot of foodstuff but at least there will be the chance to buy toilet paper on a Sunday.

Posted

OH NO, Heaven forbid that shops are not open on a Sunday!!

What ever did we do before they opened on a Sunday?

Sheesh, take a day off!!!

Posted

You're supposed to go to church, not take the day off.

Posted

I don't know if there's that much point in going to visit God's house on a Sunday, Pas.

He never seems to stay in on a rest day.

2B

Posted

You're supposed to go to church, not take the day off.

Or spend time with the family. Ask the unions.

Posted

No Sunday shopping causes Saturday evening shopping chaos on normal weeks. It will be Christmas eve on Monday making Saturday shopping madness even worse today. On Christmas eve the shops will be open in the morning. But I expect there will be a lot of panic buying then too. Especially for people who though it was going to be the end of the world yesterday, (21st) and didn't take advantage of those "end-of-the-world-sales"

Posted

the best thing is to drive to the airport or hop on an S-Bahn and go to the Edeka at the airport - has everything you'll need. Great when landing on the way home. But you are right, Germany is years behind because of the influence of the churches. Like in England during the days of the Lord's Observance Day Society and that's light years ago

Posted

Sorry to dig up an old discussion and also at the risk of restarting the 'Sunday shopping' debate ....

I just returned from a quick drive to the airport as we have guests coming this evening that were not expected as of yesterday and the Edeka was jam packed. Judging by the number of shoppers without luggage and asking for the discount on their parking tickets, not very many were travellers having just arrived.