Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Offering Art Classes in Berlin

26 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I've been thinking of setting up some art classes in my apartment. Something casual, with each class running for 2 hours and a small group of say, 6 people per class.

I am an artist, and I have taught art classes before and have a degree in painting and art history. I've worked doing illustration, mural painting and interior design along with my own art work, so I've a broad range of experience.

The general idea would be to keep the classes relatively loose with each person concentrating on whatever is of interest to them, drawing, watercolour, oils, acrylic, and for those who are more unsure of what they want to do, I can set them some projects to get their creative juices flowing.

Although the classes would be primarly based in my home environment, I would be happy to head out to various parts of Berlin as a group to sketch/paint from reality (weather dependent) or take on-board any requests regarding what specifically you would like to do. Basically it would be a get-together of people wanting to learn how to draw and paint in a relaxed environment.

Please note, all participants would have to bring along their own art supplies, paints, pens, paper etc. I would provide the space and my expertise : ) - not to mention tea and coffee, (I like baking too, so there might be some cakes involved from time to time!)

Right now, I'm simply gathering any expressions of interest - if there are enough people free around the same time each week, I'd happily set the classes up. Also I should point out, I live in Neukölln (to give you some idea, it takes approx. half an hour to get here from Charlottenburg and also from Prenzlauerberg).

Please let me know if this would be of interest to you and if so, what day of the week or time (i.e. afternoons or evenings, or weekends) would suit.

Many thanks.

Posted

I would be interested in this. I want to learn fashion illustration.

Posted

I would be interested, but on "drop in" basis. My travel schedule is demanding and unpredictable so I would prefer knowing a space and teacher would be available. I realize this is much more difficult and not exactly what you suggested...but, it is my preference. Call it "market research."

Posted

I am very interested! Simply a splendid idea. I don't really mind any particular day, except for fridays and saturdays, which usually are pretty busy :) I certainly hope this will lead to something!

Posted

Good on you. I think it's a great idea. I myself won't be attending, but just a suggestion... I think it'd be a good idea to supply some materials and have a surcharge for those that don't have their own supplies. Just some big pots of primary and contrast acrylics, some cheap water colours, some charcoal, brushes and paper would do it I think. You wouldn't need to invest so much in it, but to get people involoved that don't want to cart their own gear each week or to get people that aren't already painting/drawing, it would make a huge difference.

Good luck, and have fun!

Posted

Oh, I just re-read the OP. Best time for me would be afternoons, any day though really. I would also be up for bringing along baked goods from time to time. =)

Posted

I think it sounds very interested and I would love to join. Only one problem; the only thing I can draw/paint/make with my hands, are a snake (you know, just a line on a piece of paper). So I don’t know if I will fit in...? But I would love to learn to paint/draw/create something.

I’m able almost every afternoon and evening.

Posted

I'd be interested in this. My work is pretty flexible, so I could probably fit into a time that is convenient for others.

Posted

I am interested. I don't live in Berlin, but I spend a lot of time there. I being looking for a workshop like the one you describe in your post. I will be in Berlin in june.

Please keep me posted if you go ahead with this project.

Posted

I'd be interested too. Either Monday, Tuesday or Thursday evenings would be possibilities, as well as Sunday afternoon.

Posted

I'd definitely be interested! Keen on oils and sculpture... do get in touch if it happens! lucydebutts@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks! :P

Posted

I second what Maibritt has said. I am a total beginner but have such a passion to start this. Daytime weekdays would work best for me.

Posted

sorry guys I am an idiot and didn't see all your replies until now. And now it's nearly 1am. Will re-read tomorrow when not so late.

Thanks!

Posted

Hello everyone,

I've been offered the possibility of a part time job...just have to see a) if I get it, and b ) what the working hours would be if I did. I don't want to set up a class at a particular time and then have to cancel it at the last minute.

When I know more (mid to end of next week) I will PM everyone who has expressed an interest with more details - Thursday seems like a popular option, but I would be happy to do a second session for other people on another day. And we can take it from there.

Thanks

Posted

Hi Edee

Do you know yet if you'll be setting up some art classes...?

If you do I'm very interested too, I live in Kreuzberg close to Neuköln, so it would be perfect for me.

During the daytime both during the week and weekends is best for me.

Best, Eva

Posted

Ok, to explain, I did an interview, then the usual thing, waiting far longer than originally told to hear if I'd got it, but I didn't get it (along with the other numerous jobs I've applied for recently and not got), wallowed in self-pity and despair for some time (read the thread on 'is it easy to get a job in Berlin?' if you don't know what I'm talking about) -I must say, I'm finding it harder and harder with each rejection to bounce back and stay positive. Anyway, then the possibility of a paid internship came up, so again I delayed with making anything concrete with these classes, until I knew possible work hours etc. But I can't do that because of reasons too disappointing and long-winded to go into.

Please accept my apologies for being so flaky, but the possibility of a regular wage/bettering myself has been distracting and it always takes so long to hear back from people and hence, far too much time has gone by since my original post.

In any case, I guess it's time for me to stop faffing about. How about my place next Thursday 24th June, either starting at 7 - 9, or 7.30 - 9.30 (I'm trying to accomodate people who might be working and want to eat before arriving, but then maybe finishing at 9.30 is too late. Anyone who wants to come, we can decide that depending on what the majority want).

I only have 7 chairs, so can take a maximum of 7 people and if there is 7, I hope everyone fits in. I was thinking of 10 euro per 2 hour class. Does this sound reasonable? The deal is bring your own art materials, but I have some art materials here and might get some more basic stuff in. If you've some specific image you want to paint or copy, bring that along with you, but I will plan out some possible ideas for those who don't know what they want to do. Total beginners welcome, anyone who doesn't really need an art class but wants a social time while they doodle/draw/paint also welcome.

I will PM all you responders tomorrow, it's nearly 2am, and I've to be up early.

Posted

I have messaged everyone who has replied to this with the details - I hope I got everyone the system would only let me send so many emails (I guess to prevent spamming) and I got somewhat confused. Looking forward to seeing you next Thursday or at a later date :)

Posted

Hi

Are you still doing this?

I move to Berlin on August 1st and am looking for an art class to join...

Anything really!

Liv :)

Posted

Hi Edee,

Are you still running those classes? If so I'm interested and pretty flexible timewise. Could you please drop me an email with some info? ((Sorry if it is not the way to approach, I'm new to this forum))

Many many thanks

: )

Posted

Sounds great, if you go ahead please message me.

Evenings would suit me monday - thursday..

Posted

Hey! Have been looking for something similar, would definitely be interested, sounds great!

:)

Posted

Hey! I have just discovered your Post now and i myself have being looking for Art classes in Berlin at the moment. I am an artist and am preparing my portfolio at the min for Uni. I really would love to start meeting up for these classes. Are you still doing them?

Best

Glenn post-132746-12969353349107.jpeg

Posted

is a would be doctor preparing to apply for a medical degree, a doctor?