Life in Unterhaching

24 posts in this topic

Posted

Whats it like living in Unterhaching?

Posted

I live in Taufkirchen but work in Unterhaching.

I would say it's okay. There's quite a lot of shops in the area - OBI, Tengelmanns, Aldi, Lidl, Pennymarkt, Ikea (nearby), McDonalds etc., and quite a few restaurants and bars etc. Then there is Unterhaching football club as well. It's a relatively quiet area.

Unterhaching is connected primarily to the rest of Munich via the S5 which runs every ten minutes during peak hours and 20 minutes off peak times. Depending which side of Unterhaching you live you can use the Unterhaching S-Bahn or the Taufkirchen or Fasanpark S-Bahns. To get the S-Bahn into Marienplatz takes just under 20 minutes. To make the most of the area I'd recommend living as close to the S-Bahn as possible.

What information are you really looking for?

Posted

not to bad... 21min w/ the S-Bahn to Marienplatz. I don't usually do much around here, but apparently there is stuff to do. You are not far from a PEP shopping center (in neuperlach) and there is also an ex-military runway which has been turned into a park right next to Unterhaching. Just down the road is an OBI and various other stores. You are right next to the autobahn heading to the south, and there is a landstrasse going to the Ostbahnhof area (ie, going to the clubs... so it only takes ~5 to 6 min to get to the clubs with a car). Perlacher forest is right here, so if you want to go jogging, ride your bike, skating, or just for a nice walk, it's there for you with no hassel getting there. Also, the Isar is not all that far away if you want to go grill or just hang out in an area with slightly less people. I live pretty much next to the S-Bahn station here, which is actually kinda nice. The Rathaus is just around the corner, plus a number of small restaurants and a tengelmann and a rossmann all make life pretty easy.

Now, I do have to say that I've only been in Unterhaching since November, so I'm 100% sure I don't know the half of it here. As you are not actually 'in' munich anymore here, the anmeldung is done at the rathaus instead of going into munich for it, but that is pretty cool 'cause there is almost never a wait longer than the walk to the door. I like it here. Quiet, yet it has a life.

Do you have any specific questions. Have you been down to see it here yet (if not, PM me and come on down for a visit)?

Posted

@kebab

Where is there a pennymarkt??

@jip

how do u get to perlacherforrst and the isar from unterhaching?

We are in the process of moving to Unterhaching (also right next to the SBahn) from Neuperlach so I know PEP and Neubiberg (the runway) and stuff liek that.. Just wondering what its like there in general.. not too boring I guess? Are there any bars actually in Unterhaching? Any parks nearby besides Neubiberg? Not sure what else, guess I was just looking for some general info and opinions :] Thanx!

Posted

Doh, there's two PennyMarkts in Taufkirchen (one of them 250 metres from Unterhaching border), not sure if one actually in Unterhaching... jip, know of one in Unterhaching?

Posted

I know there are bars in Unterhaching, but I've usually gone somewhere in Munich proper when I go out. The forest is pretty much due west. If you are on the main strip between the S-Bahn and the Rathaus, head to back side (south side) of the rathaus just before you get there, and there will be a park on the other side of the road. Go through the part westward and you will find yourself in the forest. The isar is on the other side of the forest, and you can either bike there or take a short drive. Two weekends ago we went a stop south on the autobahn and were pretty much there and didn't have to fight to hard for a place to grill. I don't think it'll be that much different than in Neuperlach... I work over there and just ride my bike in everyday, so it might as well be the same place.

Honestly though? I live with two 22 year old girls and we are always going out places in Munich, not often in Unterhaching though. I think it's mainly just because the clubs are in Munich proper.

Doh, there's two PennyMarkts in Taufkirchen, not sure if one actually in Unterhaching

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haven't seen one, but also haven't looked. I'm guessing there is... pennymarkts are everywhere.

Posted

Unterhacking... is that where all the evil techies hang out in their basements breaking into mainframes and stuff? And what about Pasing. .. everybody drives in the left lane there...

Sorry... :unsure:

Posted

I've only been living in Unterhaching for just under 3 months and I quite like it - but it's perfectly located for me as I can cycle to work and get to the Army University gym with ease. I suppose a few folks might find it a little too quiet but as 'Oi'm from the country' it's a good place to get used to the city life without getting run over immediately. I also live v close to Aldi, Lidl's plus a nice little bakery with friendly staff.

There's a good Bavarian restaurant opposite the Rathaus and another one called the 'Haching' near to the modest outdoor swimming pool. Haven't seen any tennis courts yet but there are many sports clubs to join in the surrounding area (details may be found in the Rathaus plus the local free newspaper).

There's two vid & dvd rental shops plus a variety of Asian restuarants & takeaways for the lazy night in.

I love cycling in the Perlacher Forst and there's an ace beer garden that may be reached within 5km called the 'Kugler Alm(sp?).'

The place is pretty tame but I've enjoyed every moment of living in Unterhaching so far.

Posted

thanx highnoon

for some reason there seems to be an abundance of 'chinese' restaurants in Unterhaching, and tons of Apotheke's, Aldi's and Video Rental places all within like 3 minutes driving time.

Is there anywhere nearby to go for a cocktail or 2?

Posted

waldeslust is on the road to munich out of Unterhaching. probably a long walk from the town itself, and a longer walk back after a load of cocktails. nice wee bar, especially if you get a spot outside in the beer garden!

Posted

can anyone recommend a doctor (general practitioner) in Unterhaching? or taufkirchen?

Posted

There are few general practitioner/physician's on Haupt Str near by S-Bahn station. Usually i go to one Dr. Potthoff. I was referred to her by my secy. when i came here for the first time.

Posted

Anyone ever been to the Unterhaching Bürgerfest? The band from this year's Frühlingsfest in Munich is playing on opening night, and they were amazing. I'm quite keen to go see them play again, but I'm curious if I'm going to show up to an empty, desolate tent with just a few grumpy old Bavarians in a corner :) .

Couldn't find much online other than the fact that it does, in fact, exist - anyone have any first-hand experience?

Thanks!

Posted

I've been to the Unterhachinger Buergerfest several times -- it's a good time, lots of people in the tent at night, and can even get a bit rowdy at times, dancing on tables etc if the live music is good. I'd recommend making the trip if you're a fan of the band. BTW, they also have the usual game/food stands and some good rides, so kids really love it. The fest starts today, with *free beer* at 17:00 at the Rathaus, followed by Die Eslarner at 18:00 at the big Loewenbraeu tent, only a short walk from the Unterhaching S-bahn station. Festival ends July 4th with a fireworks show, usually fairly decent (and a good substitute for an Independence Day celebration for us Americans). More info can be found here:

http://www.unterhaching.de/unterhaching/web.nsf/gfx/1B1EE353CBA84076C125774B00341A07/$file/Buergerfest2010.pdf

Posted

Hello,

I'm also reviving this very old topic, as there may live some whom don't browse the ones in the Family Life group.

We will move to Munich soon with two small kids (1,5 and 3,5), limiting our search for a flat to the South or South-East of Munich, pretty much decided already for either Ottobrunn or Unterhaching, but not easy to decide between the two.

I drove around again yesterday in Ottobrunn and Unterhaching and saw some parts of these with high rise buildings. I would not mind to rent a flat in such, except the fear that I get into the middle of a community with acute social problems, like I heard that the similar ones in Neuperlach are likely to be.

Does anyone know these neighbourhoods to advise me pro or contra? Would I regret later to move in one of these, because of the neighbours? :

1. in Ottobrunn: on and around Robert Koch Strasse, near the EADS (Einsteinstrasse, Röntgenstrasse, Marie-Curie Strasse...)

2. in Unterhaching:

2.1. Schmorellstrasse and surroundings (Lehenstrasse - Bozaunweg, Goerdelerstrasse, Leuschnerstrasse, Gruenauer Allee)

2.2. the area limited by Johann-Strauss Strasse and Erzbergerstrasse on 2 sides, on the other sides by Münchner Strasse and Fasanenstrasse

2.3. what about the Fasanenstrasse, Bussardstrasse? (the high blocks of flats to the North of Oskar-von-Miller Strasse)

2.4. Riemenschneiderstrasse and its surroundings

- these all have very good S-Bahn access.

Then I also have noted a new residential area, obviously not cheap, on and around Witneystrasse (Budapester strasse, Brunellenweg), is it worth the money?

For a same price for a same flat is Unterhaching or Ottobrunn a better choice and why?

Thank you.

Posted

we live in Unterhaching.those big flats in Ludwig thoma strasse. good residential area.Unterhaching is a good village with lots of amnities available.

Posted

Hi onthemove,

I live in Ottobrunn and wouldn't live anywhere else! Except maybe Neubiberg! I don't think you need to worry about anywhere in Ottobrunn having social problems like in Neuperlach ( I could be wrong obviously but do not know of any problems myself).

The infrastructure for English families is also great in Ottobrunn - Jack and Jill Part-time English kindergarten for 3 to 6 year olds in Neubiberg ( a stones' throw away). http://www.englishkidskindergarten.de/ and rugrats for mothers and toddlers. Phönixbad and an ice-rink are also close at hand.

I have lived in Ottobrunn for 13 years so know the area pretty well and also run Jack and Jill in Neubiberg so if you have any questions at all please feel free to pm me.

Posted

Hi,

I'm interested in knowing about Lise-Meitner Gymnasium in Unterhaching. How good it is? Just a generic opinion is needed...if you have any experiences to share, please do.

Thank you!