How to leave Germany without leaving loose ends

213 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I finish work here in 4 weeks time. Straight after that I will be out of Germany for most of July, although I will still keep on my apartment. I then come back to Munich for about 2 and a half weeks to take care of packing, shipping, tying up loose ends, moving out and cleaning apartment etc. I will then move to Florence.

Can I deregister with a date as if I were leaving Germany at the end of June? Can the 2 and a half weeks I'm back for be considered being here on holiday? I want to get things sorted before going off for July. Also, if I get it sorted this month there is someone at work to help me.

With regards to health insurance, if I cancel it with finishing date end of June, I will save myself 750 Euros, even though I would be here for a bit of it at the end (and first 2 weeks of August). Do you reckon it is a bit silly to be here for a short time without health insurance. Or could I use an E111 form from the UK?

Many thanks.

Posted

You can only deregister in person a week before the date you actually leave. Try filling out the online form and posting it. You can send it when you want and then they will deregister you before you move and send you the confirmation.

As for the health insurance, i can't help i am afraid.

Posted

If anyone else knows anything about how to cancel my health insurance i'd appreciate it. I have public and it just comes out of my wages, so do i just need to send them a letter?

Posted

Yep, just send them a letter. That's all my wife did and it worked.

Posted

:) hello can somebody help me with some imformation on leaving germany

im due to leave germany next wednesday, ive lived here for 13 years so starting to panic a bit.

I voluntary gave up my job of 8 years a few weeks ago, I havent been to the arbeitsamt to tell them yet. My last monthly wage comes at the end of this month cos im receiving a months loan freistellung... what do i tell them? i havent a clue how it all works all i know is I think im barred from arbeitlos for 3 months? just incase i come back :unsure:

I want to keep on my rented apartment here which will be paid automatically out of my german bank account. Im keeping it on for a while cos looking to see how things work out in uk, also i have nice furniture i dont really want to sell, it will also be nice to get back here for short holidays. the rent is quite reasonable so can manage that for a while. think i have someone to check amy post ect.

my car... i have to give written confirmation of kundigung before end of november- is this correct? is it a months notice? my insurance runs till january

im with AOK i havent yet foned them to say ive left my job does anyone know if I will be taken off there insurance straight away?

not sure what else or documents i need to take to UK ? par passport and luggage

sorry if this all sounds confusing im panicking again just thinking about it...Bavaria to leeds :unsure:

Posted

I miss Leeds! :) AOK you have to inform them straight away, they have, like most DE companies, a Kuendigungsfrist, so it's possible you may have to continue paying them for a while - best to check their website or phone them.

Regarding the dole, you have to inform the Arbeitsamt at least 3 mths before the end of your contract otherwise you don't get anything when your contract ends. So yes, in your case you won't get the dole for 3 mths.

Remember to 'abmelden' at the KVR or whereever you do that locally in Ulm if you're changing your permanent address to Leeds, otherwise you could be fined.

Good luck with the move!

Posted

Hi and thankyou for your replying oh its good to hear you miss Leeds, I mean not good but good :D cos it must be alright there. It was a great day out just going to the local Morrisons ( on a sunday) miss uk supermarkets! and the clothes shops are great and the nightlife seemed good, also not far from the countryside so think i will like it.

God I didnt realise there was a kundigung frist for AOK. i dont know how im going to get out of that one cos im still kind of here (but not) ill check their website out.

and if i dont abmelden with Rathaus i think the AOK will be onto me even though im not :ph34r: really here. Ill ask them about that one. Grr forgot about kundigungs frist with AOK.

Arbeitsamt ill tell them im officially arbeitlos end of this month eww dread goin there.

Ive had some good times here but being the only Brit in my area I ve missed mixing with Brits

ok thankyou UrbanAngel :)

Posted

Does anybody know what needs to be done when leaving Germany? I moved to Germany 4 months ago and registered my address here and took a tax number. I came from the UK. Do I need to inform the German authorities of my departure? Although I took a tax number, I never took a job so Im unsure to what extent I'm in the system. Any advise would be apprechiated.

Topics merged by admin

Posted

I`m not sure about this, but one suggestion is that you go to where you registered your address at when you got here, say that you are moving out and ask them what else you have to do before you leave.

Alternatively, just leave. I`m fairly sure they will never find you.

Posted

That's pretty much what I thought I would end up doing. But this week the Finanzamt people sent me the "Lohnsteuerkarte 2007". As never worked and my original tax card is blank I am unsure what if anything needs doing with it. Im still looking into it. Not even sure when the tax year begins and ends here. Problem with presuming that they will never find me is that I may well want to live here again one day.

Posted

De register at your local Gemeinde, and while there hand in your new and old tax card.so long as you leave owing nothing there should be no problem

Posted

this week the Finanzamt people sent me the "Lohnsteuerkarte 2007"

Lohnsteuerkarte 2007. Got one as well and don't know what to do with it.

Posted

All new tax cards have to be handed in to your employer.If you are not in work like my wife then they are handed in when you do your tax return.

If however you are leaving and have had no employment hand it in to your local Gemeinde as they claim tax off the state for the amount of people living in the vicinity.

Posted

My employer is based in Switzerland??

Posted

Then hand it in to your wage office.No matter where it is.

Posted

Quick question:

If I registered here in Garching @ the Rauthaus can I de-register there also or do I have to go to the Landeshauptstadt Munchen and get confirmation from them also? :blink: Thanks for any kind of help.

Posted

if you're leaving garching for munich, then just register in munich. no requirement to deregister.

if you are leaving the country, not sure. last time i left, i just deregistered by post.

Posted

I'm not convinced by this having to give 3 months notice for AOK. That is most probably true if you are changing to a private insurance but if you just leave the country and your wages (ie contributions to AOK) stop then surely thats it - no notice required. That's just my guess though - does someone have hard evidence of the 3 month rule even when leaving G?

Posted

I have one...when I leave my job my visa expires. How long will I be able to stay in Munich without having any problems at pasport control when I go through? Anyone know?

Posted

Depends what nationality you are maybe.