German banks that offer free banking

161 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't know if this topic has been asked before, but do all the Banks charge a monthly fee?

We are currently with DB and we get charged 6 Euro a month.

I know some banks waive this charge if your wage is paid in, trouble is, we are leaving Germany but need to leave an account open.

Any suggestions?

Posted

Mine at Sparkasse charges 3 a month.

Only savings accounts are free to my knowledge.

Posted

Yeah, mine is free but only because I stick the wage in as you rightly said.

It's scandalous, actually.

Posted

I have a direct deposit, but they still charge me at my bank. What is that for shit.

Posted

I just changed from DB to Postbank - no monthly charges on the Girokonto. They don't let you pick your own pin number, though...

Posted

Postbank Giro Plus, their standard current account:

* Kostenloses Girokonto für alle Privatkunden mit monatl. bargeldlosem Geldeingang ab 1.000 €, sonst 5,90 €/ Monat

So, €5.90 a month unless you have at least €1,000 per month paid in or go for the student account.

Posted

Has been discussed extensively before. Free bank accounts are available for specific social groups e.g. students underage unemployed or people with a secure income. Charges are the norm. Reason for that is price transparency. Other charges are lower in exchange.

Posted

Norisbank is the no frills subsidiary of DB and offers free online and self-service banking. However, I do not think that they can offer the full range of services that DB is capable of offering.

Posted

Free bank accounts in Germany. Those with the note "kein Mindestgeldeingang erforderlich" don't have a minimum income requirement. Not sure how they would react if you left the country though.

Posted

DKB. I've got an account and it's free and I'm not even in Germany.

Posted

DKB and Wuestenrot. I applied for DKB first, was refused and then went to Wuestenrot. Neither of them charge monthly fees and they even pay higher interest than the regular banks.

Posted

Hi, if I'm on Student Visa Status will the local bank ket me open an account? Thanks

Posted

I have just applied to open a joint account ING-DBA as I have noticed that there are no charges at all.

Posted

I use ING-Diba too. They are totally free.

https://www.ing-diba.de/girokonto/

Posted

I use ING-Diba too. They are totally free.

Sigh. The OP is looking for accounts that don't require a monthly minimum credit. Your account requires minimum €1,000 per month.

ING-Diba Girokonto

regelmäßige monatliche Zahlungseingänge ab 1.000 Euro

Posted

... which is why I provided a link that shows all the known free accounts and highlights those that have a minimum income requirement...

Edit: the link didn't work in the earlier posting with some browsers. This one should. Account not requiring any specific or regular income are marked "kostenlose Kontoführung ohne Mindestgehaltseingang"

Posted

Sigh. The OP is looking for accounts that don't require a monthly minimum credit. Your account requires minimum €1,000 per month.

Looking at the link, I don't see where they tell you that there is a monthly fee if you don't have an income of a minimum €1,000 per month. They do however have a 50€ change-from-another-bank bonus which you only get if you use this account as your main account and have an income of €1,000 or more per month.

Posted

Cool!

When do I get my commission?

Posted

@ Olaf--Seriously, free cash at all visa atms? No compounded interest on the cash you take out?