Second hand furniture from previous tenants

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Dear Experienced Ex-pats,

I am currently searching for a house and the previous tenant is ready to sell me his furniture.

It includes the following:

Modular Kitchen(6 years old from Schaffrath) has

1. Refrigerator

2. Microwave

3. Dishwasher

4. one wooder rack

Bedroom has

1. Bed (IKEA)

2. two Wardrobe (IKEA)

Bathroom has

1. Washing machine

2. Mirror and a small furniture.

The guy is quoting a price of 2000 EUR.

Is this price justifiable? Or do i need to bargain more?

Hope to get your reply soon as I need to sign the contract asap.

Regards,

Amit

Posted

6 year old stuff in 2000 ! Nope.

I would spend that 2000 to buy these things new rather used.

Posted

Oh!!

Do you think thats expensive even if we include the labor cost to fit the kitchen, water connection, assemble bed, etc?

Posted

Depends on the original price of the kitchen. Schaffrath has different price ranges. Ask or check on the internet. Assume a life time of 15 years, i.e. 1/3 of the original price would be reasonable. IKEA on ebay can be quite expensive, especially if it is the PAX series, I'd pay 50/60% if I liked it. With IKEA you wouldn't pay for construction in terms of money more in terms of wrecked nerves (I happen to enjoy building their shelves).

Posted

I asked them and the original price of the Kitchen is around 4000 EUR and it is exactly 6 years old.

The bedroom is relatively new and is 3 years old worth 800 EUR. It has a 180cm Bed without mattress and a big Wardrobe which is around 250cm in height.

To summarize in 2000 EUR we get the following,

Modular Kitchen(6 years old from Schaffrath) has

1. Refrigerator

2. Microwave

3. Dishwasher

4. one 4 compartment wooden rack from IKEA

Bedroom has

1. Bed (180cm from IKEA)

2. two Wardrobe (250cm in height from IKEA)

Bathroom has

1. Washing machine (small, not front opening)

2. Mirror and a small furniture.

Misc

1. Lights and electricity connection in 3 rooms

2. Labor costs to get these things fitted

Do you guys think this is justifiable?

Posted

A reasonable way of calculating a price could be e.g.:1/3 of 4000€=1300, 40%*800€=300€, washing machine on ebay (including postage) 70€, mirror and furniture 30€ => 1700€. Then buy for 1800€.

Lights and electricity connection (if not including lamp shades) should be free.

If I was broke, I'd invent another reasonable way of calculating a lower price:

e.g. don't start argueing about your labor costs, but tell him that he's saving a lot by not having to pay someone to remove the kitchen. If he was selling the kitchen on ebay/kurz¬fèndig he won't be getting 1300€ for a 6 year old kitchen, etc.

Posted

Also is it normal that the apartment which is being given is not renovated? He said even when we would leave the apartment, we dont have to renovate and that would be written also in the contract. Since its not renovated, we also have to start from cleaning. :(

There is one more apartment where its the same that its not renovated. However, they waived off 2 months rent.

How is it when we get the apartment unrenovated?

Posted

Just read a few threads on landlords

-> fitted kitchen -> what damage was done to the flat when they fitted it? -> will this need to be undone.

why are you negociating the decoration with the existing tenant and not the landlord?

tread carefully!

Posted

I think that some of the questions you should also be asking yourself are:

- do you like the apartment

- do you like the furniture

- how difficult is it to get an apartment in your location and if you agree to take the furniture does the current tenant guarantee that you will receive the apartment

- would you otherwise have to pay a “Maklerprovision” (and do you in this case?)

Posted

re renovation: This is to be negotiated with the landlord. Usually you either renovate when moving in or when moving out. Sounds fishy.

Posted

@Chris - Thanks. I will discuss about that point during our next meeting. The existing tenant is selling me his furniture and not the Landlord.

@Rusty - The apartment is good. Location is near the city area. First floor facing a garden. Provision free. Building in good condition. When I purchase the furniture, he will also handover the original receipts and these things will also be mentioned in the contract.

@Kati - Yes, exactly it sounded fishy when he told me that he would not clear/renovate the apartment before handing it over to me.

Thanks a lot guys for helping me out in this. Will update you about my next meeting on Saturday.

Posted

Hello all,

This thread is more than 2 years old but I'm hoping some1 will reply :P

I'm interested in an apartment in Munich, and the current tenant is willing to sell me the following furniture.

1. Induction Stove (4 stoves) - 4 years old

2. Oven - 3 years old

3. Crockery/Cutlery (enough for 4 people) - 1 year old

4. Cabins in the Kitchen - 4 on top and 4 at the bottom - 3 years old

5. Washing Machine - 3 years old

6. Dishwasher - 2 years old

7. Fridge - 3 years old

8. Cot with mattress - 1 year old

9. Dining Table + 4 chairs - 1 year old

10. A corner Bookshelf- 1 year old

11. A room-partition kinda shelf - 1 year old

12. A corner TV Table - 2 years old

13. An 'L' shaped corner Couch - 2 years old

14. A wardrobe in the bedroom - 2 years old

He is quoting 2000 EUR in all.

Is it a reasonable price? Can some1 advice?

Danke,

Suri

Posted

Did this just get split off?

Couple of thoughts- when I set my Ablose price, I did it at 50% of what I paid (and I thought it was a pretty good deal for my nachmieter). But also, the person who was willing to take that price was the one who got my apartment (and my landlord was happy with that).

The other people who wanted my apartment and not the kitchen and the furniture, didn't get it. So think about the total situation. In my case, the total cost to the following person (and they did indeed want/need this stuff) was less than if they had paid a makler provision. The several who very much wanted the apartment (and didn't get it) might have been better selling what they did not want themselves and getting the apartment they wanted (two offered to take the kitchen and appliances for that reason).

And I think nice apartments in Munich are harder to get than those in Berlin. Those on the other thread who said the tenant would leave these things? No- if we had not found a nachmieter to take them, we would have sold them or taken them to the hof. There's a point where most people would rather go to extra effort than allow themselves to be exploited. In the lowest case, I talked to used appliance dealers who would have purchased all the appliances- for less than 50% of what they would have sold them for- but they would have taken them. In the few weeks I sold the things my nachmieter did not want, I got basically the 50% I wanted for everything except a bed I did not mind giving away. Also, those who said that the costs of lights and fitting them should not be considered- why? I did. And if I had taken them (much easier than fitting them) and left the bare wires I found, my nachmieter would have spent between 25 and 50 euros (per light) just getting his own, new lights re-fitted.

All in all, considering I had to buy and put together almost all my furniture at new prices (and I looked for decent used and couldn't find it) I think my nachmieter is pretty lucky. But perhaps you already have all these things and the issue is instead what to do with them?

Just my 2 cents. Those who live in Munich may have their own ideas.

Posted

I see you posted this twice- I responded in the other thread.

Posted

Hi Gail,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Does make a lot of sense.

Well I guess considering the following, it would seem like a good idea to accept the offer.

1. The apartment is in a great location - which is extremely hard to get in Munich

2. I'm not paying any Makler Provision - (even if I did it would be around 2 grand or more)

3. I have absolutely no furniture of my own (since I'm new here) and I would be buying them in any case.

I guess I may be paying a couple of hundred Euros more but it's a one time investment and hope it's worth it.

Posted

And yes I posted my own topic first, and then realized there's a thread already.

I see it has been moved here - Thanks.

Posted

Offer hin 1000 and see what he says. tell him your short on cash.

Posted

If you do that, note that the landlord may not be interested in you as a tenant. Because if there is a good relationship between tenant and landlord, there is feedback going on. As I said, my nachmieter was approved because he was 1. credit worthy and 2. we asked our landlord to approve him rather than the very many others who were also credit worthy. And saying you are short on cash is not a bonus point, especially for a foreigner. So be careful.

My guy didn't want some of our Ablose, and since we actually had a rational spreadsheet pricing behind what we were asking, we took those items out and reduced the price (and sold them all- on kleinanzeigen, mostly, because here on TT, people aren't that interested in 50% off- they want free). Although I see that in Munich people at least ask higher prices than we do in Berlin.

Posted

Sounds like a good price to me if the stuff isn't crap.

You have nothing. Besides purchasing everything, there is a lot of time and hassle shopping and hauling everything in and setting it up.

Replacing the appliances alone would cost well over €1000 if you buy new.

Posted

indeed this is what I did when I took over my place. the furniture was not my style, and way over priced, but it got me started and in the end was very much worth the cost to save hassle and secure the apartment.

Of course, don't pay before you sign the lease!

Posted

Hi Suri. I don't want to sound terribly cynical about the apartment you have found ...a friend recently told me about apartment scams in Munich where there is no makler and the deal is pretty much too good to be true. One she told me about involved buying the supposed previous tenants furniture. I think I even saw something on TT so worth searching something like "apartment scam". If it is all genuine then I would say that the furniture is well priced assuming the appliances are a fairly good brand. Good luck

Posted

Thank You all.

Yes I was told that my chances of getting the apartment may become bleak if I didn't buy the stuff from the tenant.

(apparently the "best" applicant is one who agrees to buy everything from the tenant - thereby making it easier for him/her and the landlord)

On the other hand, I might as well get it since I don't have the hassle of buying, transporting, assembling etc. later.

and of course I will be asking for a detailed spreadsheet/list of the furniture items being sold, and the approximate price quoted for each.

hope I get the apartment <fingers crossed>

Posted

Hi Suri. I don't want to sound terribly cynical about the apartment you have found ...a friend recently told me about apartment scams in Munich where there is no makler and the deal is pretty much too good to be true. One she told me about involved buying the supposed previous tenants furniture. I think I even saw something on TT so worth searching something like "apartment scam". If it is all genuine then I would say that the furniture is well priced assuming the appliances are a fairly good brand. Good luck

Hi emkay, Yes I'm aware of several apartment scams :) I've been searching for my "best apartment" for the last 2 months here.

Moreover, the current tenant is a good friend of my colleague, and I went to the apartment in person yesterday - and 'stalked' the tenant and landlord on linked in later :P

So I'm sure this ain't a scam, but Thanks though.

Posted

Suri. That sounds great. Always worth a cyber stalk! The best deals do more often come through people you know here. We recently bought lots of stuff from previous owner of our house. The price seems ok and certainly will save you lots of hassle. Perhaps ask your friend if the tenant might reduce it a bit. Good luck