Commuting from Trier to Kirchberg in Luxembourg.

50 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there,

I'm on my way to getting a job offer in Kirchberg. I don't have an idea yet of what my salary will be, but I do know that living in Luxembourg is supposed to be very expensive.

We are researching two possibilities. Either we can live in Luxembourg a little bit farther out, but on a bus route, pay higher than normal rent but save commuting time. Or we can live in Trier, which we know and like, pay less rent but spend more time in the bus/car/train.

So I was wondering is there anyone doing this already who lives in Trier? I know there is a bus 118 that would bring me to Kirchberg, but I don't know how long it really takes or if there are seats available or what the service is like.

I know there are car pools but how do you find those?

What I'm really looking for is some advice from people who have spent time commuting from Trier to Lux and who can offer some advice based on their own experience or experiences of friends.

So anyone out there...?

thanks coillte

Posted

I know lots of people who commute from Trier to Luxembourg. I have a friend who takes a bus (not sure on the number) which leaves every morning at hour intervals, starting at 5am. She has no complaints. I believe that the ride is from 1 to 1.5 hours, but i am not sure (maybe an actual commuter could help you out).

Other than petrol, coffee, and cigarettes, everything is cheaper in Trier than Lux, and I've been told that the rent difference is significant.

If you have any questions about Trier itself, feel free to PM me.

Posted

There are also Hourly trains between DE and L. If all else fails.. Buy a car.

Posted

Hey AlaskanNina,

thanks for the reply. I know about the bus; it's the 118 and according to its website it takes under an hour from Pacelliufer to get to Kirchberg. But I wanted to know ask someone who does the trip, how long is it and what's it like, doing it every day. I had hoped to get away from commuting madness when we left Dublin. People regularly spend 1 - 2 hours getting there and another coming home.

If you wouldn't mind, would you ask your friend would she be willing to answer an email from me about the bus service and so on. Or if she prefers, I could send you a private message and maybe you could forward it onto to her...if she wants to remain private. My head is wrecked looking at Luxembourg as a place to live... I can't where people live there. Everyone seems to drive/bus/train it in. But how bad is it really.

Hi Darkknight, I do know about the train, but its equally long in time isn't it? Maybe we will have to get a car or two!!

oh la la...decisions, decisions!

cheers folks!

Posted

I know quite a few people who live in Lux and they all say its good quality of life but dull. It's a banking / EU place of course and so it attracts that lifestyle (ie. like me, so not knocking that). A lot of my mates there look over the border enviously to me, they really thing Germany is better (I don't live in Trier but I'd be happy to as a place but not the commute as you say).

Personally, I think when you emigrate, you need to have some sort of "step up" in lifestyle. So I would not go to the trouble of emigrating and then having a commute like this (and one of the best thing about my life now is I don't commute now, it makes a vast difference to life quality and free time). When I go to Lux sometimes for work, it seems fine to me. I had this idea of "base in Trier and travel every day" for my projects (for no other reason that to keep myself immersed in German rather than back in English / French) but it the end it wasn't worth the wasted time for me.

As you say it is expensive but that reflects nothing other than its wealth, which is in turn in part a function of its "tax haven" styling. Like Switzerland. Lux is the highest GDP area in the whole EU. It's absolutely top-end.

The choice about commute is, in the end, yours of course. You don't have to do it. I'd also take train over bus, any time.

Posted

Hi Swimmer,

thanks for that helpful reply. The loss of time spent commuting and the stress that goes with it is a huge drawback for me.

We intend to spend a few days in Lux and explore the areas where people live, maybe test the bus service. And we were planning to test the bus from Trier. Trier is a lovely place to live, but I'm afraid with the time spent commuting and the pressure of commuting, we won't want to do anything in the evening. We'll be too tired from sitting in a bus. I have done this before in Dublin and it does wear you out after a while.

If we can find somewhere about 20 to 30 mins from work in Lux and from the centre, then it would be worth the move. We are simple people; we like spending time outdoors and enjoying a simple pint in the sun or a tasty meal the odd night. We don't need a great selection of pubs/nightclubs/restaurants etc. Just a few places where people meet up and there is a bit of life. I'm not sure yet if Luxembourg has that though; people rarely write positive things about Luxembourg. Usually you read it's full of banks, expensive and dull.

Which is why I'm here asking how bad is the commute from Trier :)

Thanks for the input...appreciate it :) Oh and Happy St Patricks Day to anyone celebrating :)

Posted

Hi Coillte,

If you're looking for a shorter journey but cheaper rent/living expenses, you can live around the villages near Trier.. Specially Sirenich or Trierweiler.. as its minutes from the highway and closer to Lux.. And if you want to go Trier you're only 5 km away... You might need to have a car though! Commuting to Lux is less than 30 mins. and they have buses every 30 mins from Lux.. Bus route is 116..

Any other questions let me know... I myself commute daily..

Legin

Posted

Hi Legini,

thanks for that. We could well consider that as an option too, and I think we will be getting a car asap! Can't go visiting all those sweet German towns without one :)

If we do have questions about that, I'll come right back to you.

Have a nice day!

Coillte

Posted

Hi Coillte!

I live in Trier (city center) and have been commuting to work in Kirchberg for the last 10 months. I do take bus 118, and from Trier center (Porta Negra) it takes about 45 min to get to Kirchberg. In the morning, bus goes every 15-30 min and I have absolutely no complaints in regards to the commuting. Yes, you "loose" 1.30 hours per day, but you can fill this time with a lot of reading, learning German, listening to music or working on your laptop. It is not convenient to go to Kirchberg from Trier by train, as you would first need to spend 45 min by train getting to the city center of Luxembourg, and then additional 20 minutes by bus to get to Kirchberg.

I have researched living in Luxembourg very thoroughly for several months and consciously made a choice to live in Trier. Apartments here are definitely half the price of comparable apartments in Luxembourg. Grocery shopping and other costs of living are much more pricey in Luxembourg (if you are in Trier on the weekend, you will see a LOT of cars from Luxembourg coming to Trier for grocery/clothes shopping and to spend the weekend in general). And overall, I have to admit that Luxembourg is not a very exciting place to live. After 6 pm, it get very-very quiet and empty here with not too many activities going on in fall and winter. It is also somewhat hard to live here depending on your level of French - everything (government, doctors, people on the streets, restaurants) is in French or Luxembourgish, although of course you can get by with English.

Also, you can choose to live in areas close to Trier (Sirzenich is the most popular) to cut down your commute time by 10-15 minutes one-way. But you will also be living kind of in the middle of nowhere :-)

So based on my experience for the last year, I would vote for Trier because:

- commute is not that much of a pain and you can spend this time productively while sitting in the warm bus

- commute is cheap - €75 for a monthly ticket

- Trier is a much better and pretty city to live, in my opinion. Plus, you can always take advantage of any events going on in Luxembourg (Utopolis for English movies, Lux Expo for exhibitions, restaurants, Philarmonica for concerts)

- Trier is by far cheaper than Luxembourg (much cheaper rent, groceries, etc)

Sorry for the long post and please send me a message if you have any questions in regards to Luxembourg, Trier, working in Luxembourg or anything else.

Ganna

Posted

Hello Ganna,

firstly, thank you very much for the long and informative post. I was hoping to get some feedback from someone doing the commute, so I really appreciate your input.

So the bus is not that bad then... I do agree with you on getting things done during commutes. I have done that before; I used to learn French grammar on the way into Dublin city centre :) And there is always the chance of catching up on sleep!

We have looked at rents in Luxembourg and reckon we will be paying a lot of extra money over every month. If I get this job, I will get a relocation package, but for some reason I think it may be worth more if we move to Luxembourg. I could be wrong on that, but that's how it was explained to me. But we are concerned about life in Lux, more so than money. We did visit Luxembourg once or twice when we lived in Trier and did not see much reason to visit again. We just went to Vianden or hiking in Luxembourg after that as we didn't see anything to bring us back to the centre. Now either we missed all that Lux has to offer, or we got it right the first time. If that is the case, then we would probably be better off in Trier, as at least we would have the weekend to do something, if nothing else. And we are both used to commuting already, so while we wouldn't gain anything there, we would be back in a town we loved living in before. Oh decisions!

If it is not too much trouble, can I ask you...what time do you get the bus yourself? Is the traffic worse after 8am than it is after 7am? Does everyone get a seat on the bus? Is the service ever canceled suddenly? What do you do then? How long does it take to drive in a car to Kirchberg if the bus is canceled?

How did you do your research of Lux by the way? We have just looked at immobilien websites and are talking to one person living in Lux on the internet. Did you speak to people who live there?

Lots to think about, but I take your point about everything being in French in Lux. I speak French albeit not very fluently yet but my husband speaks none. He does speak German very well though, so that's another incentive towards Trier.

Thank you so much once for offering all this information; I'm so pleased as it is so helpful to us and our decision making. It's a big decision, we want to get it right.

Enjoy your evening, cheers Coillte

Posted (edited)

Hi Swimmer,

We don't need a great selection of pubs/nightclubs/restaurants etc. Just a few places where people meet up and there is a bit of life. I'm not sure yet if Luxembourg has that though; people rarely write positive things about Luxembourg. Usually you read it's full of banks, expensive and dull.

I spent 12 years in Luxembourg, but when we were looking to buy a house, we got a place in Trier for a third of what it would have cost in Luxembourg.

On the commuting, the bus is the way to go if you're working on Kirchberg. My wife still drives everyday, but only because she works outside the city centre and would need to take another bus.

There's plenty of life in Luxembourg Ville down in the Grund and Clausen although it tends to be driven by the ex-pat community. On balance though, I haven't missed it and haven't gone back nearly as much as I thought I would, except for the weekly trip to Wasserbillig to tank up with cheaper diesel- there's enough in and round Trier to keep me here.

Edited to say-

forget about the train- it takes almost 1 hour and you then need another 20 minutes to get out to Kirchberg, plus whatever waiting time you have at the bus station.

Posted

Hi Gerry,

thanks for your input Gerry. I'm still in two minds, as I was really hoping to be someone with a twenty minute journey to work at most. But I don't want to have a short journey to work and then have nowhere nice to go in the evening or no nice walks to do.

I want to be somewhere we can go out for a walk near where we live...the problem is where we lived in Trier, we had it so good, it would be very hard to beat. We had a lovely landlord and landlady, we were five minutes from vineyards, parks with ponds and hungry ducks, Aldi and a lovely bakery and a garden community pub two minutes...not to mention a small brewery with lovely dunkel beer and we could walk home from the heart of the city centre in twenty minutes. Ah, the good ole days...t'will be hard to beat that.

So if I pass the medical, we plan to spend a couple of days trying the bus, train and visiting towns to live in Lux. But Trier beckons...

thanks again Gerry

Coillte

Posted

Hello Everybody,

I have an enquiry regarding commuting to Konz / Trier and staying in luxembourg.?

my husband would be starting for a new job in Konz , but since Konz being a small town and we would like to move to luxembourg and commute to konz everyday by train .

we have a few questions for the same

1. since we are a forigener with valid residence & work permit in germany are we allowed to stay in luxembourg and go to work to konz (germany) daily.

2. cost of living in luxembourg?

3. English community and schools in english at luxembourg , do we have any of them in luxembourg area.

please reply

Asha

Posted

Hi there,

I think when you have a work permit for Germany, then you are required to live in Germany. But I don't know for sure. What I do know is that the cost of rent, groceries, restaurants etc are higher in Luxembourg than Germany. Rent in particular can be as much as twice the amount in Luxembourg as in Germany. Also the German taxes are higher and since your husband will be working in Germany, I think he has to pay taxes in Germany which will reduce the amount of money you have for rent etc.

Usually people working in Luxembourg come to live in Germany to save money. I don't know that it works so well the other way, i.e. living in Lux and working in Germany. And with a work permit, I'm not sure the option is yours anyway.

I cannot advise on schools as I have no need for them myself.

Here is a Luxembourg immobilien website Lux immobilien and a German immobilien. Have a look at prices of same size apartment between Trier and Luxembourg. Trier is a much better bet for you and many people say it has much more life in it than Luxembourg.

Good luck

C

Posted

Hi there

thanks a lot for your message , i checked out the websites, it seems that for a weekend travel luxembourg should be good but staying there seems to be very expensive. but we have found a another option saarbrucken , i researched in google it seems to be a big city than Trier . and commuting to Konz from saarbrucken should be checked out.. Any idea on english community in saarbrucken?? english church?

thanks in advance

with regards

Asha

Posted

Hi there, I think you would be mad to live in Saarbrucken and have your husband commute to Konz everyday. Trier, Konz and the surrounding villages can be a great place to live. I can't see what Saarbrucken could offer, that Trier couldn't, that would be worth the commute there and back everyday. If you are really looking for a big city then I don't think either Trier or Saarbrucken really fit the bill anyway. The advantage of living in Konz or surrounding villages would be a 10-minute drive to the Lux border for cheap petrol etc and a max 30-minute drive to Kirchberg to take advantage of the English-language cinema, quality restaurants, international atmosphere etc.

Posted

Hi,

I am a bit late here, but I have to second what the person just above said: if one is working in Konz and is going to live in Germany, there is nothing in Saarbrücken that you can't find in Trier.

While it's true that the population is slightly larger, the commute is *much* longer to Konz, and culturally speaking, although Trier has its problems, Saarbrücken is no cultural capitol or any more cosmopolitan than Trier in any way that I can discern.

Also, think about the advantages: If you live in Trier, you have a 6-10 minute commute on the Regional train every morning (Trier-Konz) versus a 60-75 minute one-way train ride from Saarbrücken ... so that's two hours per day you spend in the train if you are commuting from Saarbrücken to Konz.

Unless one has family or friends in Saarbrücken, I can't see why someone working in Konz would want to live there, rather than in Trier.

Good luck with your move!

Posted

Hi ,

seems to be a wonderful place with caring experts!!!

I am currently living in Frankfurt.

I got a job in Luxembourg, the main thing bothering me there is expenses ...especially with housing.

I am a Non-Eu national, is it possible for me to live in germany with luxembourg residence permit. I hv no clue.. and again commuting to LUX especially in the winter with traffic jams on the road and delays with the trains...

can anyone help me out with my concerns..

Posted

that would interest me too in regards to having residence/work permits in one country, but living just across the border. i knew a gal who worked in basel, but lived in freiburg only because she could not get a residence permit for switzerland (she is german).

Posted

I had an agency propose exactly that situation to me years ago. In the end, I didn't take the the Swiss position, but I was later told that it would have been highly illegal and that I'd have been be lucky to get away with it for more than a couple of weeks before the Swiss border police got wise to me!

I have no idea how it would work with a non-EU national working in one EU country and living in a second.