Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ryanair and Rail&Fly

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi. I just booked a Ryanair flight to Düsseldorf from London, and was wondering if it is possible to buy Rail&Fly ticket online. I was hoping it would show up after the booking process is complete but it did not. Someone told me that you cannot get a Rail&Fly ticket when you fly with Ryanair. I thought I'd ask this here before calling the Ryanair call center... Thanks.

Posted

Someone told me that you cannot get a Rail&Fly ticket when you fly with Ryanair.

Correct.

List of Rail&Fly partner airlines: http://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/pv/mobilit_t/rail_fly_airrail/MDB69116-airlines_november2009_internetdarstellung_agenten_20091113.pdf

Posted

...I just booked a Ryanair flight to Düsseldorf from London...

Also take care as Ryanair fly from Weeze airport and not Duesseldorf International. And Weeze is in the middle of nowhere and takes about 1 hour to drive from D'dorf centre or over 1 hour by Bus from Weeze to Duesselforf hbf (central station).

See http://www.airport-weeze.de/index.php?lang=en for more details.

Posted

oh my... thanks. good to know.

Posted

The festive season is almost with us. Those seeking a respite from the cold

may have already planned holidays overseas.

It is good to know that while travelling one still has certain rights.

Tour operators sometimes offer so called "Rail & Fly Tickets".

The BGH (Federal Civil Court) recently (judgement dated 28 October 2010 - Xa ZR 46/10)

ruled on the liability of a tour operator who offered such a ticket combination.

The plaintiff demanded compensation of costs and expenses following a missed flight.

She booked an all-inclusive-flight travel package from Düsseldorf to Samana in the

Dominique Republic. The disembarking flight was supposed to take off on June 19 2007

at 11.15 h.

In order to get there the plaintiff took advantage of "MEIER`S WELTREISEN Rail & Fly Ticket"

encouraged by the following inscription in the travel catalogue:

"No stress and traffic jam with ‚MEIER"S WELTREISEN Rail & Fly Ticket".

Every flight reservation in this catalogue contains "MEIER"S WELTREISEN Rail & Fly Ticket"

2nd class Deutsche Bahn AG to the airport without extra cost!

…Please choose your connection in a way that allows for arrival at the airport no later

than two hours before take-off...".

The plaintiff followed suit and chose a train connection that was scheduled to arrive

at the airport at 9:08 h. The train, however, got delayed and the plaintiff only arrived at 11.45 h.

She missed the flight. She contacted the defendant, travelled with the train to Munich

and flew to the Dominican Republic the next day from there.

She successfully sued for the extra expenses such as accommodation, meals and cab charges.

The Court argued that the tour operator gave the impression that the successful transfer to

the airport by train was as part of the tour operator´s promise. The description as "Rail and Fly",

the depiction as a "service to easily arrive at the airport offered by MEIER`S WELTREISEN" and

the fact that the transfer charges were contained in the overall package could only be construed

in a way that the defendant offered the transfer as part of her specific obligation.

The fact that the plaintiff herself had to choose the connection did not alter this view

as long as the defendant advertised the transfer as part of a special service, extolled the benefits

in comparison to other modes of transfer and gave detailed accounts on how to choose the connection.

Since the plaintiff adhered to the instructions the defendant had to compensate her for the extra charges.

The successful outcome of the case was based on the way the tour operator advertised the Rail & Fly option

as an integral part of his offered package as a opposed to an optional third party service.

The reimbursement of those charges followed a specific remedy set out in Section 651 c III BGB

http://www.gesetze...et.de/bgb/__651c.html

and was not rooted in a claim for damages.

Posted

Question about Rail&Fly. If I buy a ticket out of Frankfurt (living in Ddorf), and if my airline is listed on the 'partner airline' list on DB - does it automatically mean that I can use an ICE to get to FRA free? If I'm buying a normal air-ticket on Kayak, how do I know if rail&fly is included or not on it?

Posted

The DB rail and fly offers a DISCOUNT ticket not a free one.

And when I used it, I had to book the rail and fly option from the participating airline.

I then took my E ticket showing the booking to a DB station and got a DB ticket from them.

Airlines can of course offer their own Rail and Fly deals offering a free ticket onwards, or even a stretch limo I guess. but this is something different.

Posted

aah. thought it was too good to be true. was the discount worthy the effort?

Posted

Oh it be worth it. Sparpreis is cheaper but there was none left when I was booking. And wiht a sparpreis ticket for the return journey if the flight was delayed and I missed the train I would have to pay the normal price or take nahverkehr which for the route I was taking would have taken a loong time.

So cheaper than the normal price, and more flexible but more expensive than a sparpreis.

Check out the prices and compare for the route and time you are travelling.

Posted

and if you are travelling with your children under 15 normally with DB they are free but not so with Rail and Fly, I think mitreisende 6 to 15 year olds get a 25 percent discount only.

And the partcipating airlines with DB R and F state VERY clearly that they will not be liable in case of a missed flight due to a train delay and to allow plenty of time to get to airport.

I take one train earlier than needed and hope it is enough.

Posted

this isn't worth starting a new thread for but for those looking to book cheap (package) holidays I can't say enough good stuff about LIdl Reisen and its cousin Aldi Reisen. We did a trip to Gardersee this summer and for 3 adults full pension (all meals) the cost was 900€ Fantastic deal. The best deals are by far Lidl Reisen trips to America Canada, just saw a trip to Las Vegas Grand Canyon and San Fransisco hotel and car all for less than the cost of flights alone!

I find Aldi isn't quite as good.