Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where to buy cream of tartar

57 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone has a clue where I can get cream of tartar in munich? It´s a white powder used for baking. Or maybe someone can suggest a substitute??

Thnx! :)

Posted

We had a post about creme of tartar years ago, but the topic no longer exists.

Tartar is actually some cruddy residue that ends up in wine barrels after wine has been aged in them. They scrape it all up, and grind it up into a powder.

The krouts call it gereinigter Weinstein, or maybe Weinsteinsäure, which makes more sense than tartar really.

You can get the stuff, but if you post what you wanna do with it, maybe there is an easier alternative.

Posted

FYI: Joy of Baking lists vinegar or lemon juice as as a cooking substition for cream of tartar, but I guess it would really depend on the recipe.

Posted

We had a post about creme of tartar years ago

I've seen this post come back up recently (around Xmas) and I do believe it has been merged into something else. Either that or it was turned into the amazing British and American Foods - Munich info on the link above.

If I was to going to substitute vinegar for tartar, I think that I would use the sushi rice vinegar powder that most asian outlets sell.

Posted

There was Where to get baking powder in Munich? that had some stuff on baking powder and mentioned creme of tartar, but the original thread did not survive from the very early days of TT by the looks of it.

Posted

Thanks for the info folks. It seems that the substitution mentioned in the link above may work. It´s for a devil´s food chocolate cake, and last time w/o tartar it was a bit salty, so vinegar may do the trick. Will try and then tell.

Posted

...can find it in most grocery stores...at least I can *cough*

Posted

look in the health food areas...where they have all the bio shiite.

Weinstein...

Posted

I searched for "Weinstein" in a health food shop once, and they didn't have it, but told me I could get it at an Apotheke.

Posted

The Indian/Asian store in the central station (opposite Hertie's food hall entrance on the floor between the surface and U1/U2 U-Bahn) stocks Cream of Tartar (and Baking Powder and Baking Soda). All UK Lion brand. I buy mine there and they are open *seven days a week*.

Posted

I've found it @ wal-mart as well as V-mart out in the sticks...can't be hard to find in Munich.

Posted

Anybody have any idea what the german name is or where I can buy this in Munich?

Need it for a brownie recipe. Is there any substitute that one could use?

Topics merged by admin

Posted

The Indian/Asian store in the central station (opposite Hertie's food hall entrance on the floor between the surface and U1/U2 U-Bahn) stocks Cream of Tartar (and Baking Powder and Baking Soda).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FYI, Just thought I should mention they didn't have C of T when I last looked (couple of weeks ago) and they said they don't normally stock it.

Posted

Cream of Tartar in German is called Alaunpulver or Weinsteinpulver and you can buy it at an Apotheke.

Posted

and you can buy it at an Apotheke.

...interesting.

Though most grocery stores have it too...at least decent ones do. (like Real)

Posted

Cream of Tartar in German is called Alaunpulver or Weinsteinpulver and you can buy it at an Apotheke.

Sorry, but Aluanpulver (pickling recipes, homemade play dough and other non-food uses) and Weinsteinpulver (leavening agent in baking and a stabilizer for beaten egg whites) are two entirely different animals and not interchangeable at all. Definitely ask for Weinsteinpulver if you want cream of tartar.

I've seen Weinsteinbackpulver (baking powder with cream of tartar in it) but never pure cream of tartar in grocery stores.

Posted

I have not been able to find cream of tatar. Have looked in all the spice sections of supermarkets. Ended up bringing a bunch of little cans from the US last time I flew back. So if you can stock up from abroad.

Posted

It's not in the spice sections. It's in the bio area typically from everywhere I've seen it. Again, most grocery stores have it. I've found it here in Munich at Real for example as well as at Vmarkt out in the sticks (Bad Wörishofen). I've also had to find it (and did without any problem) up near Luebeck...so it's readily available.

Posted

Also, if you are doing a recipe with baking soda and cream of tartar, you can generally substitute baking powder with cream of tarter in it for the combination of the two.

Posted

I can't post this link often enough, it seems:

Baking Powder, Cream of Tartar

Cream of Tartar

Same places as baking soda and powder, as well as in regular grocery stores under the name "Weinstein". You can use it to substitute for Baking Powder too: 1/2 tsp cream of tartar and 1/4 tsp each baking soda and cornstarch.

Info originally written for Munich but the same goes for all of Germany.

Posted

On a whim, I bought some stuff called "Sahnesteif" (Dr. Oetker) from Lidl, thinking it was cream of tartar. I haven't seen "Sahnesteif" mentioned here, but after doing some research it appears that it's the same thing. Just a heads up for anyone who's baking for the holidays. :)

Posted

Sahnesteif is an artificial chemical mix of glucose, modified starch (thickening agent E1400-1451) and tricalcium phosphate (raising agent E341).

Not related or remotely doing the same as potassium bitartrate (cream of tartar).

Posted

Really? I found a few sites that said they did the same thing. Sorry. :unsure:

Posted

Cream of tartar's good for stiffening beaten egg whites, don't know about stiffening whipped cream. Maybe it does work though. Have you tried it for that?