American IP address in Germany

54 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey all. I LOVE the cool features on my American Xbox like Zune TV shows and Netflix, but unfortunately it's not available in my region. Is there anyway I can mask my IP to make me appear like I'm in the states? Maybe a vpn? I've seen people bypass their ISP's IP address and surf using a totally new one.

If you know anything at all about this I'd like some help. A friend of mine goes through a company in the states that's completely professional and charges him like 10 bucks a year for it. I know I'm not the first one overseas to ask about this.

Any tutorials? Any steps? Thanks

Posted

go for the 10 bucks... sounds cheap to me... and since their professional you wouldn't get stuck with a proxy server that will act as a snail gateway ;)

can you give me the address of this company though? I just got the Wii and I didn't register it yet, i want to register it using the U.S as the region to get English stuff rather than German info and games and having to decode every step i take!

Cheers

WK

Posted

yes please! do tell, this will be usefull to many!

Posted

@wassimk

You can´t log into the american Wii-stores with an european console, you need an amercian one.

When you register tell, them You are from Brazil, that is the only way to use an european creditcard to buy points (all the other countries check your creditcrad´s checksum).

Posted

Not sure this will work on a Wii (though I can't see why it wouldn't)...

Hotspot Shield

It's a free program that will make your IP appear to be coming from North Carolina. This is also amazingly helpful when you want to watch shows on Hulu, CBS, Justin.TV, Channelsurfing (sports programs), etc. The only downsides is that it regularly jumbles up your web pages (esp. email programs) when it's on, but who cares-- you only turn it on when you want to watch/play something.

g

Posted

The easiest way of achieving this is indeed with a VPN connection to such an overseas provider, there are loads of such companies that can offer you an ip address based pretty much anywhere around the world (USA and UK being some of the more popular locations for overseas tv viewing, BBC iplayer etc).

I've not used them myself (trying to cut down on my tv viewing :), but you might just want to just double-check beforehand that there's nothing in the small print from your German ISP about connecting to such a service, of course all they will see is a bunch of encrypted traffic they can't properly packet inspect coming from a single ip address, but they'll still know what you're doing from the regularity/amount you're transferring.

Just be sure you know what your *real* transfer limit is and check that you are not prohibited from connecting via VPN's/or to such services (not wanting to scare you but I imagine an ISP could justifiably cut you off if it infringes their T&C's/prove that IP is basically providing an illegal service).

Hope that helps.

Posted

This is a company that supplies an American IP address along with many others, 16 in total, ranging from UK, US to the likes of Italy, Poland, Finland, Switzerland, Spain plus many more:

Digital World Plus

Posted

I personally use the Open VPN from Witopia: My link

I use it to watch movies on Netflix and to buy books for my wife's Kindle on Amazon.com

The speed seems sufficient for Netflix however I still can't watch anything using HULU as they now won't allow anyone using a VPN to watch video:(

It's 59.99 USD for a year. I'm sure there are cheaper options but this one was recommended so I gave it a shot.

So far it works fine except for the HULU thing.

Posted

Hey, anyone know of a way to change your IP address to appear your in England, Ive found plenty of free websites for doing this on windows but nothing for a mac, any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Cheers, Neal.

Posted

I have a VPN to have a US IP address on my pc that I login to for steam and such, but I want to set my router up to access the internet via the vpn so my ps3 can also have a US network address - how would I go about doing that?

Posted

It's a bit tricky because you have to have an open enough router that'll let you configure vpn settings in it. I've got one of those Cisco Linksys numbers where you can blow out the stock firmware and put dd-wrt on it. Once that's loaded, I can then configure a PPTP vpn client config on it using the setup vpn menu, and if it works everything behind the router will share your foreign IP address.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Static_PPTP_VPN_Client

basically once you get your info from the vpn company (server IP, username/pass, etc) you input that in the router's GUI. An example would be:

DD-WRT PPTP Client Configuration:

Use the below settings to have the VPN connection work properly. The text after the # signs below are descriptions and are not part of the configuration itself.

PPTP Client Options: Enable

Server IP or DNS Name: 17.10.20.222 # Use the IP Address of the VPN Server here

Remote Subnet:192.168.10.0 # The network address of the remote subnet on the PPTP Server

Remote Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 # The subnet of the above set of addresses on the PPTP Server

MPPE Encryption:mppe required,no40,no56,stateless # This is important so make sure it is exact.

MTU: 1450 # The default should be left alone here

MRU: 1450 # The default should be left alone here

NAT: Enabled # The connection will appear to work with NAT disabled but it is not functioning properly.

User Name:exampleuser # The user provided to you by the RV016 administrator

Password:examplepass # The password provided for the above user.

Posted

most people seem to like the linksys/cisco stuff, if you're cheap like me then here's a dd-wrt compatible asus router for $25 from newegg

Posted

The other thing you have to consider is that if this is for gaming you're not going to have the best ping in the world I'd guess as it's bouncing from Germany to USA to wherever you're connecting.

Posted

Well I would have suggested cyberghost they have US servers, its a paid service, but they have not yet released the mac version, but they said its coming so I would keep an eye out. I have heard its pretty sweet even allows things like netflix and hulu streaming to work. ;)

Posted

Hey, anyone know of a way to change your IP address to appear your in England, Ive found plenty of free websites for doing this on windows but nothing for a mac, any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Cheers, Neal.

-Install Vidalia

-Launch

-Click 'View the Network', sort relays on the left side by country

-Right-click a bunch of UK relays and copy their nicknames into a text file

-Open the torrc file that Vidalia installed with a text editor

-Scroll down to the ExitNodes line and paste the names of the relays you found into it, like this:

ExitNodes UKRelay1, UKRelay2, UKRelay3, UKRelay4, UKRelay5, UKRelay6

-Scroll up and find the SocksPort line, remember the port number (probably 9050)

-Save torrc, stop and restart Tor from the Vidalia window

-In your browser settings, set up IP 127.0.0.1 port 9050 as a SOCKS proxy (or 127.0.0.1:9050, depending on what kind of format your browser expects)

-Open http://www.showip.net and make sure you have a UK IP

-Deactivate or delete proxy from the browser settings to switch back to a German IP

The only problem with this approach is that all web traffic goes through one of the UK relays, which means it'll be slow, probably too slow for video streaming. To fix that you can install a browser plugin (like FoxyProxy for FireFox) that automatically uses the UK proxy for geo-filtered content and the German IP for everything else. You can usually find the URL patterns you need to configure FoxyProxy if you google for 'FoxyProxy' and '(website you're trying to access)'. If not, just ask here.

Posted

I use www.strongvpn.com to mask. It's great allows me to watch Hulu, abc.com tnt.com and many other american networks. It works with MAC as well.

Posted

If you are asking yourself how to watch Hulu, ABC, FOX, NBC and CBS outside USA from any place the answer is VPN.

Super VPN allow you to access from any place in the world. With Super VPN for Hulu you will be able to enjoy in your favorite TV show or movie on ABC, FOX, NBC, and CBS no matter where is your location. All traffic is encrypted so you are 100% safe and anonymous.

Posted

I use www.strongvpn.com to mask. It's great allows me to watch Hulu, abc.com tnt.com and many other american networks. It works with MAC as well.

Good tip Monica, hopefully strongvpn is still good 7 months after your post. I was looking at it the other day. I was thinking about maybe changing to a Telekom VDSL and then getting a VPN too. If you have a VDSL and a VPN you are reliant on 2 different ptoviders being snag free though.

Posted

You could try http://www.tunnelbear.com - its a downloadable app for both win and mac and it gives overseas access to both the UK and US - 500MB/month free with options to pay thereafter

Posted

Are those options legal to use in Germany?

Posted

I dont know if this helps for your issue on the xbox , but with my firefox browser i use proxies like these:

http://nntime.com/proxy-country/United-States-02.htm

http://multiproxy.org/multiproxy.htm

http://www.workingproxies.info/proxies.shtml

Maybe this helps. though you have to change proxies sometimes and many are pretty slow.

Btw, i have never read or heard of any legal issues as long as you are not in the US of using others proxies.

Cheers,

Nik

Posted

I thought streaming might be illegal in Germany?

Posted

Has anyone had any luck connecting a PS3 to a PC acting as a proxy. And if so, have you got any pointers on how to do it? (I'd rather not mess about with my router, and actually, I sometimes need to 'appear' to be coming from Germany).

Posted

I solved his by running two wireless networkes - one that is permanently VPNed into strongvpn, and one that is a regular internet connection. My xbox, roku, etc. connects to the "vpn wireless network" and my computers connect to the "regular wireless network". This gives you the flexibility to switch back and forth on your computers pretty easily and leave the gaming equipment connected to USA all the time..

That's not quite what you wanted but I figured I'd mention it as it may help someone else..