Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Commuting between Nuremberg and Erlangen

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All,

I've just started a mini-job in Erlangen and I'm living in Nuremberg. I was wondering if TT's had some advice on the cheapest travel options between Nuremberg and Erlangen. I'm only working 4 days a week and starting work at 8:15 finishing at 12:30.

I've been looking at the options for train tickets and maybe using the mitfahegelegenheit website, but I was wondering if anyone had some ideas?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions :-)

Posted

Take the bicycle down the Rhein-Main-Donaukanal, great biking, no cars, and straight from one town to the other. At least if you live and work somewhere near the shipping way.

Posted

A 4-zone (I think) Mobicard will let you use all the buses and trains in, around and between Nürnberg and Erlangen for a month. It's usually unbeatable on price.

Posted

thanks for the advice - though I think I'll wait til it warms up before biking!

Posted

If you know you will use it for a minimum of a year, the JahresAbo for the 4-zone ticket (anytime of day, anywhere in Nbg/Fürth and Erlangen) is about 74 euro per month. It's a good value, and then you don't have to worry about any other tickets in these zones -- bus, train, streetcar, no matter how many times you travel. When you consider one trip is usually 3,70, and a MobiCard is over 100 euro (since you start at 8.30 you can't use the one after 9.00, which is cheaper), this is the cheapest way to go by public transport. It's taken automatically out of your BankKonto monthly, so you can't even forget to buy a ticket.

Posted

I go from Nuremberg to Erlangen, 5 days a week for 104 euros a month (zone 100-400, 4 zones). I use the Mobicard. I like it because 7 days a week, after 9 am, i can take another adult and up to 4 kids with me for free. And I can always take a bike for free. So for 104 euros a month I can basically do whatever I want, bike, kids, friend, and never have to worry about it. :)

Sorry this is like a commercial but :

http://www.vag.de/Overview/m200/Overview-of-ticket-types.html#absatz6

MobiCard

With the transferrable MobiCard you can ride as often as you like within its fare zone. From 9 am onward you may even take one adult and up to four children (under 18 years) with you! The MobiCard is available for all fare zones in three different versions:

- 31-day-MobiCard 24/7 (around-the-clock)

- 31-day-MobiCard (valid after 9 am)

- 7-day MobiCard 24/7 (around-the-clock)

For example the fare within Nuremberg, Fürth and Stein is only 17,70 EUR for the 7-day-MobiCard

If you want to save 10 euros a month, get the solo card, which is just only for you... no bike, no kids, no friend riding with you.

You can shop prices/features here:

http://vag.tickeos.de

Posted

Assuming you rent a place in Nuremberg where you can get to a tram, train, bus, to get from there to Erlangen, what is available, bus, train? I will be working in one of the Siemens plants and want to get an idea of approximate cost of public transportation, versus driving.

Posted

Calculate 30 euro cent per km for the car, insurance, maintenance, etc. then 10€ of gas per 100 km (if a diesel, benzin costs more). fro erlangen train station to whatever siemens plant, you'll need a bus.

Posted

Our monthyl cost for public transport is approx 50€ and its very convenient!

Posted

I can't seem to find my answer anywhere... maybe some one can answer?

I will be living and working in Erlangen and taking the bus to work, starting at about 8am I think. I don't mind paying extra to go to Nürnberg occasionally, but I don't think it's necessary to pay the full 4-zone transit fee. I would only ever use the pass for myself, normally. Can I get just a transit pass for Erlangen?

Posted

Hey Everybody! (read like Harry Caray)

I found an answer to my question. If you go to the VAG website and do a timetable search on the right for your typical travel destination, it comes up with a trip plan. There's a column called "fare zones". Click the fare zone and it will pop up with a window for the costs of all types of tickets for that zone including monthly passes AND a comparison with the cost of driving a car. Awesome!

Posted

Hey truemana, I'm moving to Erlangen to do an internship in Herzogenaurach. I'm looking to figure out mz best travel option and I think it will be the solo 31, Zone 3. Any thoughts? Also, a few questions:

What else can I do in Zone 3? ... travel around Erlangen I guess, and Herzogenaurach as well?

Is there also a deal for using the DB trains in Franaconia and mazbe adding that option to the pass?

Also looking for cheap place to stay for 6 months if you know of anzthing.

cheers

Posted

I heard that the trains are really packed at 7:00AM or so. Does anyone do daily commuting from Nuremberg-main st. to Erlangen and could give realistic commuting time? I have to add maybe 15 mins additional time from Erlangen station to catch a bus over to work. Have any of you left a bike at the station to use to commute back and forth from the station to work? What about staying in Feuth? I think that is the last stop for many trains from Nuremberg to Erlangen. Is it close enough to the city (Nuremberg} if you want to go there often?

Posted

Using the internet, you can work it out for yourself:

http://www.vag.de/Transport-Network/m183/Transport-Network.html

http://vgn.de/CFF6B06F-C0B4-11D7-AE44-00034709FE0C

(both links in English)