Watching American and English TV online

91 posts in this topic

Posted

Here is the link to watch all your favourite Films and series in English online. No membership reyuired and no payments.

http://www.tv-dome.net/

have fun

Posted

Your you can just download a 350MB file from other sources which will give you a bigger and much better quality

picture. Best of all you don't need to be online to access/play it anytime you want. If you don't know what the

"Other sources" are, then do a search here for P2P and read the alternatives.

Posted

Darkknight, could you please explain how this works? I did a search, but couldn't find anything useful. Unfortunately I have no idea what you're talking about.

Yesterday I tried finding a website where I could watch some of my favorite shows online in a quality that didn't make me want to top myself, but alas, no such luck... Either the picture was completely pixellated, or I was redirected to a site for online gambling, or I had to fill out one of these endless "free offers" in order to "unlock" the video, or all I would get is some German ads and the actual video wouldn't play.

How hard can it be??? :blink:

Anyone?

Thanks!

Posted

Hello, I just moved to Berlin and although I am readily learning German, I really miss my creature comforts... Especially watching non-dubbed English language TV! I know quite a bit has already been posted on the topic, so I apologize in advance if these questions have been asked a million times before. It's just that I'm still at a loss.

Yesterday I tried finding a website where I could watch some of my favorite shows online in a quality that didn't make me want to top myself, but alas, no such luck... Either the picture was completely pixellated, or I was redirected to a site for online gambling, or I had to fill out one of these endless "free offers" in order to "unlock" the video (which never seemed to happen), or all I would get is some German ads and the actual video wouldn't play.

Yikes! How hard can it be??? :blink:

I also like watching Dutch TV, but unfortunately the streams on Uitzending Gemist can only be watched from within the Netherlands. :(

I gather there is such a thing as masking the physical location of your computer (proxy something?), but I have no clue how it works... Could someone please explain (preferably in a way even your grandmother would understand)?

And am I correct in assuming that it is completely pointless to get a digital receiver or the likes, unless I want to watch TV auf Deutsch?

Thanks!!!

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Posted

Get yourself a VPN connection. This company has one for US$5.00 per month, which includes access to their servers in the USA, UK, the Netherlands, Germany, and Singapore. I haven't tried it with Uitzending Gemist but I bet it works.

Posted

Thanks for the tips! I look forward to trying these out, too.

Just out of curiosity, do any of these websites have the option to watch the shows with English and/or Spanish subtitles? Or does anyone know how to add this feature to movies/TV shows bought on iTunes?

Posted

Go to filmon.com,download the live tv player.BBC1,2 ITV,channel 4,5 are all free to watch.For some of the other channels you need to pay first..

Posted

hulu.com it's free but there are short advertisments

Posted

Hotspot Shield

I can't watch www.hulu.com from Germany or outside the U.S., unless...

I use Hotspot Shield, but I have not noticed if it has a 5GB download limit. Hotspot shield works great and the best part is the peace of mind knowing downloads from www.download.com are safe from spyware, adware and viruses. Also, I tend to trust Toytown users, so the ideas above are probably valid and legit. However, I will always be apprehensive to use suggestions.

I downloaded software in October to watch German TV from outside Germany, and what a mistake that was. The site was called IP-Hide, I think. It was actually a virus that Kaspersky had a difficult time detecting and then eradicating. I learned about IP-Hide from a YouTube video. Once again it was another life-lesson that you can't believe everything you see. The IP-Hide site looked legit, although in hindsight it lacked any credible or familiar endorsements. However, the site had good presentation and the spelling was accurate. It didn't look like anything "phishy" and Firefox and Kaspersky IS 2010 didn't try to block it. I used the IP-Hide 3-day trial, and the service worked, but the video was extremely slow with lots of buffering. If it had been good quality then I would have actually purchased it after the free-trial. Thank God I didn't lose money. I removed it because of lousy video, and it wasn't until the following week that I realized it was nothing but a virus which had infected my computer.

I'm always leery now, but I can verify that Hotspot Shield from www.download.com works well, for me. If you install it, it will prompt you to check or un-check 4 boxes. I left the last two boxes checked, but I don't understand why it would matter.

Posted

I am using Deutsche Telekom as my provider and I don´t have a problem with the streams on the Omroep "Uitzending gemist" website.

If you have satellite and can lay your hands on a Canal Digitaal card+CAM via a friend from the Netherlands then most of the dutch channels are on the same satellite as the german ones. You just need a box with CAM slot. (an Edision will cost you around 50€).

Posted

This one works a treat, http://www.filmon.com/splash/ , no need to sign up or subscribe or indeed pay for the terrestrial UK channels, and all legal now the legislation has been passsed. TVCatchup have shown themselves to be the self serving bunch of prats I always suspected they were.

Posted

casttv.com works great for me! It was recommended by a friend here. It will sometimes give you a popup and some of the video providers limit the amount of time to run videos, but others are completely unlimited. Great selection of shows too.

As far as spyware and viruses go, I've been using it for about 2 months now and haven't yet noticed anything weird with my computer (knock on wood).

Posted

Thanks so much for all the recommendations! I've taken a lot at all the links so far:

• Zatoo: seems to be almost all German networks, with a few English-language channels (e.g. CNN, Al Jazeera, Bloomberg TV) and a few Spanish networks too.

• The HideMyNet.com VPN connection seems like a good option, although I haven't tried it yet, because there is a fee. I like the explanation on their website, it's very simple and straightforward. And for $5/month I might give it a go.

• getconnected.com.cy is also a VPN, but it costs a whopping €12,95 a month!!! I think not.

• FastPassTV is okay, but it appears to redirect to links where you can watch. Most are pixellated/low quality, some limit the amount of time you can watch if you aren't a paid member. (Or maybe it's just the shows that I want to see?)

• Two recommendations for FilmOn.com, but I'm a little wary of downloading a player... I find their website incredibly confusing. It also appears that they only have British channels (?)

• Hulu.com - as mentioned cannot be watched from outside the US (without masking your location)

• Hotspot Shield: I'm a little confused, does this program also mask your location? It appears to be more about protecting you from attacks when you are using WiFi? CNET isn't exactly raving about it, but it is free, so perhaps it's worth a try:

...the connection itself is a bit wonky.
    Once the program is installed, it creates an HTML link on your desktop. Double-clicking on it will open the application in your Web browser, and you'll be taken to a page detailing your Connection Status, IP Address, Server Address, Bytes sent and received, and the duration of the connection. Hotspot Shield is ad supported, so you'll get a big banner ad that lives at the top of every Web page, too. Closing the tab with the app's control panel doesn't disconnect the shield, though: for that, or to reload the control panel, you have to go through the green shield icon that gets loaded into your system tray. Also, there's a 5 GB transfer limit.
    Overall, we can't give Hotspot Shield a strong recommendation, but as a last resort it might be worth trying out.

• I am using Deutsche Telekom as my provider and I don´t have a problem with the streams on the Omroep "Uitzending gemist" website.

If you have satellite and can lay your hands on a Canal Digitaal card+CAM via a friend from the Netherlands then most of the dutch channels are on the same satellite as the german ones. You just need a box with CAM slot. (an Edision will cost you around 50€).

Unfortunately I have no idea what you're talking about??? Is Deutsche Telekom your internet provider? And obviously I don't have satellite. :(

• TVShack.net seems to be similar to FastPassTV. E.g. one of the shows I wanted to watch was actually hosted by Megavideo. They limit the amount of time you can watch for free.

• CastTV: appears to be similar ro FastPassTV and TVShack. I've been using it, but it's not ideal.

Again, thanks everyone for the very useful comments! I certainly don't mean to be critical of your helpful advice, it's just that I'm ready for watching some "real" TV, and am getting tired of endless clicking, pop-ups, huge banners, buffering, time-outs, time limits, pixellation, etc etc.

I'm wondering if using the HideMyNet.com VPN is virtually problem-free? Or if there are any other recommendations for cheap or free programs that will mask my physical location, allowing me to use things like Hulu.com or watch directly on the website of the network? If so, I'm guessing that is probably the way to go.

Thanks again & please keep the comments coming! :)

Posted

a good proxy with lots of bandwith that will let you stream without any problems is going to cost more than a fiver. OTOH, if you figure out how to get your router to get a new IP address from the ISP you can get around the time limit in megavideo, there might also be cookies involved but i generally block those. Thats what I do with shows I can't be bothered to download.

Posted

JUSTIN TV IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO ALL THE SPORTS all the tv shows and movies BEFORE they get into the theater i saw the new star trek movie twice before it was released here in germany

on some sports like last night afc and nfc championships you had to go to a link that took you around the having to pay with a pro-account if over 1000 viewers on a channel so that was ok just a work around.

you do need a good computor and of course a big flat monitor helps with the movies they do come in HD so that is good.

the rest of the providers i dont know about since justin tv covers it all for me

Posted

ps why rent a dvd when its free on justin tv?