Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Christmas gifts and dilemmas

15 posts in this topic

Posted

All in all it was a good haul this year, what with Cat getting me just what I wanted - an upright ring-holding hand - and my Ma sending a potholder, something I desperately needed.

I also got "Pride and Predudice and Zombies" by Jane Austen/Seth Grahame-Smith from my Ma as well as from my son. That dilemma is easily enough remedied, Cat got one copy. But he also gave me a set of books I would never have even borrowed from the library, much less want around the house. How do I (in the words of Jane Austen in "Sense and Sensibility") "combine truth and politeness in a few short sentences" when thanking him?

Posted

Ha, Good luck. In your shoes, I'd probably say, "Wow, thanks so much for getting me books. You know I love to read! However, as much as I love that you bought me books, these aren't really my thing. But you must have thought so what was it that made you think to buy me this book?" And you'll probably hear about how his friend liked it, or he'd heard it was good...Then you'd get to say, well, I understand, or...no, not really. And then you can drop hints about books next year.

Good luck trying to change his behavior. My brother buys the worst gifts. And when he tries to remedy the fact that I don't enjoy his taste, he buys me gift cards...again with the wrong taste, to the wrong stores! He's buying to his taste, or that of his friends or??? I have no clue.

This year I got wind of the gift cards he wanted to give me and just said "Hey, really not my thing, and so hold off past Christmas to get me something. I'll let you know if something comes up later that I'd really like." In my case, I got to say, "I'll probably ask you to buy me things when I'm in Germany and ask you to mail them."

Who knows? Later today I'll probably find something from him that he decided would work better than the gift cards, and I'll get another lame present!

Posted

Nah, you don't say anything except, thank you. Then put them away somewhere. Later on when time has passed, if asked, an expression that the gift is not that interesting to you, will sting much less.

Interesting though, I just asked my partner before hitting "add reply" about this and he says the exact opposite. His take is you say directly, "I appreciate the gift but that it is not the type of thing I am interested in".

Soooo, if it were me, I would try my best to consider the personality type of the person before saying anything negative about the gift.

Posted

Well, given that the books are from your son, perhaps he’s trying to send you a hint or a message?

For example, I'd be quite suspicious if one of the titles was post-18719-12617626173172.jpg

Or perhaps he's being a bit more sympathetic, and has searched out

in which case it might even be worth a quick glance inside. ;)post-18719-12617627505426.jpg

He might be honestly trying to be helpful, with post-18719-12617626084258.jpg , or even warning you that you post-18719-12617625924267.jpg

Definitely get upset and tell him off straight away if you've received a copy of post-18719-12617627439465.jpg

(that's no way to speak to your Mother even if ... :P )

P.S. These are all real books, available at most larger online bookstores!

Posted

I received a pack of two lavender-scented padded coat-hangers, and promptly passed them on to my Mother-in-Law!

Posted

I got coal again this year. :angry:

Make the best of it....time to BBQ. :)

Posted

It's the box set of "Twilight" et al., all four of them. And it turns out that it was meant for Cat so she's on the spot. She wants to sell them ...

Posted

I received a box of amazing cookies and Christmas presents from home and the postman wants me to pay 8 euro taxes and told me I can't have the gift without eight euro cash. I obviously refused and he said they will keep the mail at their office in case I change my mind. How can that be? Don't they need to return the gifts to the sender? I would have paid it but I knew my sister already paid 60 dollars to send the package so such an extra payment annoyed me.

Anyway that was my morning Christmas present from the state.

Posted

@Sarabyrd: The Twilight series is all the rage at the moment in Canada and US. The second book-movie just came out and is contributing to the craze. Seems to be quite the thing right now for teenagers and young adults to be into. I saw huge line-ups of kids and their parents in Toronto just before I left to come back, so I figure there's got to be something behind all the hype it's getting. Might even be a decent time-killer if you've nothing better to read. I picked up the first book while in Toronto, but haven't read it yet so can't say if it's any good. Unless you absolutely hate the good vampire & good werewolf vs. baddies genre, in which case just pass them on or sell them.

Posted

Got a hardback copy of Terry Pratchett's new book, "Nation". I'll probably pass my paperback (from Germany) along to a friend who is also a fan of Pratchett. I also got three pairs of gloves - one from my grandmother, one from my sister, and one me and my dad bought at Target the day I got home. So, yay! No excuse for cold hands when I get back :)

Posted

I also got three pairs of gloves - one from my grandmother, one from my sister, and one me and my dad bought at Target the day I got home.

You went halves with your Dad on a pair of gloves? Are you a member of The Jacksons? ;)

Posted

Personally, i'm just grateful that anyone took the time and trouble to get me something for Xmas because I was in their thoughts.

Posted

My dilemma is what to buy for my nephews, ages 10 and 12. Help! No new video games are allowed [good, as I know nothing about them], because I'm informed they are addicts. What, then?? I'd give gift certificates, but that seems so thoughtless, even though I bet they'd prefer that. Only a few shopping days left!

edit for below: excellent idea, sb, and I agree. Thank you, I feel less stressed now. :) I can supplement that day with the Equate board game, as they are also math nerds, like my Jr. It's probably genetic...

Posted

Give them a day in the Botanical Garden. It was fun.

Posted

My brother used to always buy something he wanted himself and then give it to me for Christmas when we were kids, knowing full well I'd abandon it and he'd get to have it. It was a clever way of using our parents' money (given in order to buy family gifts) to spend even more on himself. One year I'd had enough and I threw the comic book he got me back in his face and shouted, "Here! You obviously wanted to have this, since you knew I wouldn't like it!" I was much chastised for being rude, but I was right. He took it straight to his room and kept it. (He also bought my mom a book called How to Really Love Your Children for Mother's Day. Probably as a joke, but still, what a jerky thing to do.)

I'm not recommending the ungrateful, childish reaction I had as a kid, but you might want to make it clear that you don't care for the books. Otherwise, you'll be compelled to read them and comment on them and pretend you liked them...