Paying for having a computer (GEZ)

93 posts in this topic

Posted

What is that? Why I have to pay for having a computer at home, since I don't watch any tv there? A man from the Bayerischer Rundfunk came and told me that, sounds not very clear, anybody with the same experience?

Posted

Prepare to merge. Search for GEZ to find this post.

Posted

@Dunia

Next time don't open the door for people your not expecting.

If the person comes back tell'em to bugger off.

Posted

It's the law. If you have a radio, even if you don't listen to radio and/or you have a PC with internet access, even if you never use it to watch German TV shows, you have to pay some 5.76€ a month. If you have a TV and/or PC with TV card, you pay more.

Posted

I know but the thing is that the man came from the "Bayerischer Rundfunk" and that is not the GEZ, in the paper says not to contact the GEZ to ask questions and that sounds strange.

Posted

On the BR website, it says that you should report your TV's or other media to GEZ, see http://www.br-online.de/unternehmen/rundfunkgebuehren/rundfunkgebuehren-DID1204827068127/rundfunkgebuehren-anmeldung-abmeldung-ID1205253490587.xml

Maybe the guy is just scamming around for extra cash privately :)

Posted

yes the br has its own spies called beauftragte.

One of them also interviewed my parents. Of course they are paying since decades.

They do not want to make double work, when you also contact the gez. they also will not get a reward if you register at the gez directly.

Posted

So basically, what I said before (And many others before me).. Don't answer your door if you are not expecting visitors.

And if for some reason you do and are faced with one of the GEZtopo/BR people, tell'em to Pissoff..

Posted

I had a similar experience where a BR guy was hounding my girfriend and the letter said not to contact GEZ - presumably so the BR guy would get the commission. Since I hadn't paid for about 8 years I thought I'd finally go legit and pay up but I made sure to register with GEZ so the guy did not receive any commission. We then wrote the guy a letter - in English - explaining that we had just registered and we never heard from him again. So now I'm paying GEZ :angry: but I did have a good innings ;)

Posted

On the one hand, it's cheaper than the UK TV licence. On the other hand, this information should be available in multiple languages at the KVR when newbies register.

This is the first time I've ever felt German bureaucracy deserved a /facepalm, and it's a bloody big one!

Still... For computers and radios? WTF?!?!

Posted

Still... For computers

The argument being that ARD & ZDF have web sites which you could visit & hence...

The fact that noone outside ARD/ZDF asked them to create web sites is a moot point...

and radios?

You are probably too young to remember that many years ago the UK also used to have licenses for radios post-10876-12611341905978.gif

Posted

They're actually considering bringing it in for smartphones too. And another change they're considering is that they don't have to prove that you have a TV etc., you have to prove that you don't. At the earliest 2013 though...

Posted

Perhaps I am naive, but taxing someone on the possibility of action seems ridiculous. You could use the internet for a number of things, but it doesn't mean you in fact do those things. I tend to agree with the advice to not open the door. Being labeled an unfriendly foreigner is cheaper than paying the GEZ.

Posted

Perhaps I am naive, but taxing someone on the possibility of action seems ridiculous.

On the contrary, that's usually how tax works. You are taxed for the possibility of using schools, adult education, roads, libraries, swimming pools, parks, the police and fire services and a zillion other things. Whether you actualy personally use them or not is not taken into account.

Posted

They're actually considering bringing it in for smartphones too. And another change they're considering is that they don't have to prove that you have a TV etc., you have to prove that you don't. At the earliest 2013 though...

How are you supposed to prove that you don't? Short of having GEZ people live with you, it's not possible to prove that you have no access to a TV or other GEZ enforceable media.

On the contrary, that's usually how tax works. You are taxed for the possibility of using schools, adult education, roads, libraries, swimming pools, parks, the police and fire services and a zillion other things. Whether you actualy personally use them or not is not taken into account.

Only, it's not really a tax, is it? It's a user pays system - and I can't think of any other user pays system where you get charged for merely having the means to use a service.

If you want to charge everyone, then make it an actual tax and make everyone pay it. If you want a user pays system, then make public channels subscription only and prevent people from having access to the channels unless they pay. What they operate now is a farce...

Posted

Rule 1. They have no authority, you do not have to let them into your home, even though some are quite persuasive. If you do open the door speak English to them (Or better Swahili if you can, then they would have no chance), play dumb and tell them you don't understand. They tend to get quite frustrated and leave, although if the do persevere telling them that it's because their English is so terrible is actually quite amusing, Germans just love that!!... Like the ones who ask you to correct a document as a 'Native Speaker' and then tell you that it's not right!!! (Yes I do speak German before the do gooders start telling me I live here and should understand them)

Rule 2. Don't tell them that you have a car, (this was my mistake) car + radio = GEZ on your case.

Rule 3. Saying you don't watch German TV because it's generally crap and they never get the voice-overs right, (Although Dr House is surprisingly good)... NOT that I watch TV, I was at a friends, Honest Guv!!! Even if you have not one word of German and use your TV for Sat only you still have to pay... Just don't talk to them, just don't...

GANGSTERS!!!

Because they are paid on commission they try many different tactics, they even came into our offices and counted the amount of individual speakers on desks and said that we, the employees, had to pay PRIVATELY... I signed the form Herr M.Mouse and hope that Disney pay the bill...

Posted

So far I was pretty lucky, I was never harassed by the GEZ... but only by a girl who wanted to sell TV guides... I unfortunately opened the door and had to convince her I didn't have a TV and since I was only speaking French anyway it didn't make sense to have a TV guide or a TV :P

Too many people speak English here so I usually speak only French when I went people to leave me alone... so if you know another language than English you should use it ;)

Posted

I signed the form Herr M.Mouse and hope that Disney pay the bill...

Ahem! We will not... :ph34r: