Best Netflix-like service in Germany?

107 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello Everyone,

We loved Netflix in the 'States-- what is the best similar service here?

Thanks for the information!

Posted

I saw one, but you still had to pay the monthly fee in addition to the shipping each time so it just wasn't worth it. Plus it had limits on the numbers of dvd's, not how many you had but what you could get in a month.

I have not ever seen a flat rate movie rental with free shipping here.

Posted

I can heartily recommend Lovefilm, though make sure when you rent a film, English is one of the sprache....

Some old English films that they have are in German only, even though it was made in English originally (some old Agatha Christie films with Margaret Rutherford spring to mind)

Posted

I was looking this up before and found http://www.videobuster.de/ I haven't tried it so I don't know how it is, but it seems like a good deal.

Posted

Unlimited video rentals seems as likely to succeed in Germany as mobile phone plans with unlimited minutes. It just doesn't mesh with the German mindset. "Somebody might get more for their flat fee than I do!!!"

Posted

Like others I also recommend Lovefilm.de. They do have a flatrate movie rental with free shipping (all DVDs come with postage-paid return envelope).

Posted

Any new recommendations these days? Any new ones available that are good in value and quality with a good English selection?

Posted

Why not lovefilm.de? I'm still happy with them, and every film that was originally produced in English comes with that original soundtrack as one of the options (DVD or Blu-Ray). It's only the non-English-original films that you won't (necessarily) find in English there. But their "English section" as you put it has literally tens of thousands of films in it.

Posted

I don't think that lovefilm has the possibility of streaming movies like Netflix in the U.S.

Just want to weigh all options and thinking there must be some new competition out there by now. This thread a bit old.

Posted

Lovefilm.de do stream movies.

Posted

Thanks. I'll get Himself to assist me in checking it out.

Still wishing there is more than one choice.

Posted

Lovefilm.de does stream movies, but most of them are in German even if the original language is English. As of this past weekend, they only had about half a dozen English-language titles to stream. They do, however have tens of thousands of English-language DVDs and Blue-Ray discs to rent. Been a member for a year, and I'm really happy with it.

Posted

Well I have also been with lovefilm for a year and no complaints except that some DVDs they send do not come with English subtitles even if it is mentioned in the catalogue. I have been very pissed off with this point and the best they could do was to send me some free DVDs in return. Please be sure when you are renting a specific DVD whether they have the subtitles that is important to you.

One the streaming side, yes they offer free streaming to exisiting members, and there are some 229 titles available. I skimmed through them and lousy is the best word I can say w r t to the movies that are available for streaming. Moreover Lovefilm player does not provide the option to change language or subtitles ( educate me if someone knows the trick ). So you have to bear with default German and no subtitles specially of you are streaming one of those 15 odd Bollywood titles available for streaming.

Overall service quality and response is very good, except my problems being very specific and I am fastidious about them.

Posted

I use videobuster and am considering cancelling... The selection is not that great and the website is not as helpful as you would expect. You can rarely put films in the queue prior to being released (a nice feature of Netflix). Paying for each delivery is annoying. Downloading films is possible, but I have never tried this so I cannot comment.

I was much happier with Amango (who were bought out by Videobuster a while back, I think) mostly because of the flat monthly rate for unlimited delivery and better website.

Posted

If you like the streaming feature of Netflix, take a read of this blog post. I subscribe to this blog. It is about TV in the English language in Germany. Also here an article by Variety about Netflix and its international desires. Good stuff.

Posted

The best Netflix-like option is probably Netflix streamed through a US VPN. The biggest hurdle for foreigners is having a US credit card.

Posted

US VPN? Can you clarify, not sure of the VPN? Also, I have a question that if you have the online membership of Netflix, can you not continue with that?

Posted

Hey taxgirl17,

(Note: I haven't actually moved to Germany yet, so this is somewhere hearsay :P )

No, you can't access your US Netflix subscription from outside the US, since Netflix region-locks their content. And when I say Netflix, I mean the online service - I haven't used the snail-mail service of Netflix in months (I'm their favorite sort of customer).

My plan is to use a VPN ("Virtual Private Network") service, which makes you appear to services like Netflix (and Hulu and Pandora) that are region-locked that you originate from wherever the VPN is located. StrongVPN is apparently a popular choice. If/when I actually set it up and get it working I'll make a post about it, though if you google around for accessing Netflix overseas you'll probably find some info.

Posted

I am a complete luddite, so excuse my ignorance.

Just moved from the UK, where I have a lovefilms account. Is it possible to stream from there in order to get a better English selection? I can keep my UK account and CC open.

I also have a US based address and CC and so would that be another option?

Thanks for the help!