Fahrerflucht involving a parked car

73 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Dear all,

I am involved in one park accident in Frankfurt on.

I got the letter from Polizei Frankfurt for a Vorladung.

They give the date on 16th Nov. 2009 (Monday.)

The damage is very little to the car i damaged.

So i did not expected he will go to the Police.

Now i am worrying how much fine I need to pay for the mistake.

Can any one help me in this regard?

Posted

it might be more than a fine. It is a criminal offence to flee the scene of an accident without reporting it, however small the damage.

Posted

... Now i am worrying how much fine I need to pay for the mistake ...

This is what section 142 of the German criminal code says:

Leaving the scene of an accident without cause

(1) A party to a road traffic accident who leaves the scene of the accident before he

has facilitated, on behalf of the other parties to the accident and any persons suffering injury or damage, the determination of his identity, his vehicle and the nature of his involvement through his presence and an statement that he was involved in the accident; or

has waited for an appropriate period of time under the circumstances,during which no one was willing to make such determinations,

shall be liable to imprisonment of not more than three years or a fine ...

Posted

... I am involved in one park accident in Frankfurt on. I got the letter from Polizei Frankfurt for a Vorladung. They give the date on 16th Nov. 2009 (Monday.) ...

If the police gave the correct date (19 Nov), you needn't to worry because that's next Thursday and the accident hasn't happened yet, so you've every chance of avoiding it.

Posted

you should have left your contact details underneath the windscreen wiper or something, you admit there was some damage to the car it was wrong of you just to abscond.

how did they find out, was a witness involved? or is it camera evidence. you may be able to fib/argue you did leave contact info but the wind blew it away. not if they have photographic evidence though.

either way you will need to pay up loads.

Posted

Sometimes, even if the damage is little, it might cost you a fortune (sometimes for genuine reasons and sometimes, people just take it for granted). I know a German friend here, who paid almost 4000 Euros, for a small scratch on the car. So, one should know how to handle the situation (taking care of what evidence is available, etc dingsbumps).

Posted

... it might cost you a fortune ...

plus the suspension of your driving license for a couple of months ...

Posted

Fahrerflucht ohne Meldung would appear to be 7 points http://www.autowallpaper.de/Bussgeldkatalog/alkohol.htm

then there is likely some sort of fine, as well as paying for the damaged car, via insurance.

Posted

You deserve what you get. You have admitted to knowing you damaged another car and now you are looking for a way out. Fucking take responsibility and do the right thing before it costs you for your stupidity.

Posted

Hi Dear all,

I am involved in one park accident in Frankfurt on.

I got the letter from Polizei Frankfurt for a Vorladung.

They give the date on 16th Nov. 2009 (Monday.)

Now i am worrying how much fine I need to pay for the mistake.

Can any one help me in this regard?

Is this a song?

Posted

I hope you have a permanent residence permit, as having a criminal record won't act in your favor when it comes to renewal time.

Posted

If the police gave the correct date (19 Nov), you needn't to worry because that's next Thursday and the accident hasn't happened yet, so you've every chance of avoiding it.

Ok, my lymph nodes are exploding and my conjunctivae hurt but I still can't find 19 Nov anywhere. I see 16 Nov, being next Monday; I assume that is the date of the appointment.

Aside from that, you should have informed the cops immediately, hung around for at least 15 minutes and left your contact details with the other car. You might want a lawyer.

Posted

Is this a song?

singsong perhaps?

Posted

Ok, my lymph nodes are exploding and my conjunctivae hurt but I still can't find 19 Nov anywhere. I see 16 Nov, being next Monday; I assume that is the date of the appointment.

Oops. Fail.

Posted

WTF were you thinking? Is hit-and-run not a criminal offense in your country? I hope they throw the book at you.

Posted

That is a truly helpful post TroutKing! Thanks.

Posted

@Troutking

That's bloody awful. You poor thing - i would give you a green but have used my quota up. Thx for posting though - it's a good heads-up for anyone who'd do the same (i did exactly what you did in the UK but fortunately it didn't backfire on me) Hope the silly cow gets hers one day, karma's a bitch.

Posted

The OP needs to find out what evidence there is for this claim.

I went into a car recently (on a bike) and it was an interesting learning experience about where your personal risk is (in terms of process). A witness helped me and said (1) leave your details and then call your insurers and (2) go to the police and tell them.

Point (1) was as easy as pie - I'm insured so they pick up the tab after my excess, no question. On point (2), the police were absolutely fine...just as soon as I'd made clear I had not "fled" without leaving details. Before, they were all edgy and ready to criminalise me. No intererst whatsoever in the circumstances (as in was I drinking / sleeping/ just being not in control or whatever).

So really, the OP probably judged the risks wrongly. It's that not reporting that's the biggest risk for a lot of us. Do that and then it's probably just a routine process. But more of us worry about cost / was I doing something wrong etc (when in reality we can / do make mistakes and that's why we insure). The other thing to do if poss is take photos from your mobile camera.

Posted

ALWAYS call the police.A woman backed into me while she was trying to reverse into a parking spot a few years back... she was only doing about 3km/h, so there was only minimal damage to both cars. She said she was sorry, that it was her fault. At the time, I was driving a complete wreck of a car that was worth exactly €0, so I said that we can just forget the whole thing ever happened. She was clearly quite shaken, and I wanted to be nice. She thanked me profusely.Fast-forward to a couple of days later, where I am contacted by the police. After I had left, she had gone straight to the cops, said that I had slammed into her car and had then sped off. A "witness" claiming to have been at the scene of the accident (he wasn't) backed up her story, and I was done for leaving the scene of an accident. I was out several thousand Euros in repair costs and fines, and lost my license for a month.So, to re-iterate... ALWAYS call the cops, no matter how minor the accident seems.

If i hadn't come across this post, then i might have acted as you did in a similar situation if i had a complete written off car. Thanks for your post. But again, if i was being a Gentleman that you were when the women damaged her car and later found out that she had made a fortune out of the thing, then God stop me i would have done some severe damage to her car. Its Bitches like her that maked the whole humane thing hard to experience. And ya i would have collected a few witnesses too. :angry:

Edit: @OP,

How did they come to find out that it was you that damaged the other car? Witnesses, cctv evidence etc etc? These info's might be of some help.