Berlin ranks 6th among top cities in the world

59 posts in this topic

Posted

Global Power City Index, a ranking of 35 of the world’s top cities by the Institute for Urban Strategies at The Mori Memorial Foundation in Tokyo.

According to the institute, “as half of the people of the world are living in cities, it is necessary to create attractive urban space to pull the people, goods, and money, those who are moving borderless, and to pursue the enjoyable and livable environment.” The index, which is the first of its kind out of Japan, aims to judge the comprehensive power of a city.

The ranking is based on six overall objective factors, "Economy," "Research & Development," "Cultural Interaction," "Livability," "Ecology & Natural Environment," and "Accessibility," with 69 individual indicators among them. The institute also expanded its study by looking at the cities from the subjective perspective of five different ‘actors’ (or types of people who influence cities): global “Managers," "Researchers," "Artists," "Visitors," and local "Residents."

While the institute’s research is aimed largely at finding ways to improve Tokyo’s future, it strived to maintain a fairness in city rankings. The Global Power City Index, which is in its second year of ranking cities, was released on October 22 (JST).

Possible copyright infringement removed by admin. See guidelines.

http://www.examiner.com/x-16352-Japan-Headlines-Examiner~y2009m10d23-Top-ten-world-cities-ranked-using-subjective-comparisons

Any surprising results ???

Posted

I simply don't believe "polls". I've never been 'polled' so wonder where the poll gets their info.

If a poll says London and New York are at the top for anything, then it's a poll that doesn't agree with me.

Posted

It's a strangely western-centric poll. I'd put Moscow, Shanghai and Beijing much higher overall (as indeed those little individual surveys seem too). Certainly higher than, say, Singapore (number 5 "power city", why? how? what does it do to rate that?). Beijing in particular is very powerful now (although maybe the Japanese can't swallow that). I'd say Moscow is Europe's no 2 "power city" these days, ahead of the old favourites on the list.

It's also interesting that London is rated number two for scientists, as that's not a link that's often strongly made. Ahead of Geneva - home of CERN et al, in what's widely considered Europe's best nation for quality of life, yet not not even in the top 10 cities for scientists? Some of the results, like this one, seem very subjective.

Posted

I've never been 'polled' .

Sorry to hear that. :rolleyes: Well, about NY being the top, I have doubts although I have never lived there I have been there many times. As a visitor, it was way too busy as most of the cities on the list are. Just me I guess, crowds sometime irritate me. :(

Posted

It´s not a poll. It is a study where 69 categories have been set up and been measured.

Posted

Sorry but what a crock of sh*t! Obviously in my opinion only andnot aimed at poster!

Posted

Berlin ranks 8th in the World City Survey.

Top 40 World Cities

The Knight Frank World City Survey as a PDF, Page 18-20 is part of the The Wealth Report 2010 and lists the worlds most influential cities on the basis of four parameters — economic activity, political power, knowledge and influence, and quality of life.

This year Berlin has jumped to the second place in the Quality of Life category after Paris.

Posted

was there ever any wonder or question? Ive known this for years, and apparently a lot of celebrities and top diplomats as well!!!

and Im a New Yorker native... so one might say, I certainly know how to pick 'em ;)

Posted

Top 10 Cities in the World (According to Time Out)

1 New York, USA "when assessed in each of our headline categories – architecture, arts & culture, buzz, food & drink, quality of life, and world status – New York still proves hard to fault in any."

2 London, England "London now has some of the best chefs exploring new culinary avenues, and a richness of international cuisines that goes unrivalled."

3 Paris, France "Recent public projects such as the Vélib bike hire scheme, new arts centres and free summer activities on the Paris Plage are inspiring other cities."

4 Berlin, Germany "it is still a relatively relaxed place to live, negotiable by bicycle, fastidious about recycling, efficient with its public services, offering a good supply of spacious apartments, creative with its public spaces, and enlivened by an eclectic streetlife."

5= Barcelona "There is a work-hard, play hard attitude to Barcelona, remarkably marrying good living under the Mediterranean sun, urban beaches, vibrant street life and plentiful supplies of good food and cava with impressive modern art museums, cool bars, engaging public spaces and one of the world’s most influential chefs in Ferran Adriá."

6= Chicago, USA "Where it really makes up ground on other cities is in its architecture – inventing the skyscraper and precipitating the modernist tendencies that would define 20th century urban architecture."

7= Tokyo, Japan "has a respected music industry, top fashion designers, revered manga artists, innovative modern architects, and Oscar-winning film animators... the only city we awarded a gastronomic 10 out of 10"

8 Istanbul, Turkey "Istanbul’s celebrated beauty comes from a combination of geography (built on hills straddling the Bosphorus) and ancient heritage – a sea of domes and minarets, as well as the worlds most famous mosque and the greatest collection of Byzantine frescoes."

9= Rome, Italy "From the Colosseum to Zaha Hadid’s MAXXI museum, Rome has never been afraid of making a statement. "

10= Sydney "citizens enjoy early morning surfing, world-renowned beaches, good housing, excellent food and a café society... For quality of life it had to be a ten out of ten.*"

"World's Greatest Cities"

...poor but sexy !

Posted

6= Chicago, USA "Where it really makes up ground on other cities is in its architecture – inventing the skyscraper and precipitating the modernist tendencies that would define 20th century urban architecture."

This even being on the list removes any validiy that list had. One of the most derelict cities with an obscene crime rate. But hey, it has architecture! That is worth the possibility of death.

Posted

I just had to laugh at this:

2. London, England "London now has some of the best chefs exploring new culinary avenues, and a richness of international cuisines that goes unrivalled."

Oh yes.

I can imagine your average Londoner saying: "I like living in London because it has the best chefs exploring new culinary avenues".

What parallel world do these self- appointed "Global City Poll" loonies live in?

And Berlin: "fastidious about recycling"

"Too bloody damn fastidious about recycling" would be more accurate!

and "creative with its public spaces".

Indeed. A good creative dollop of dog shit in a public place never goes amiss.

Posted

No doubt, Berlin is a bicycle mecca ...

I'm not convinced about this myself. Berlin's no "cycling mecca" from what I can see. I never see see that many cyclists in Berlin compared to most most other German towns, particularly the student-dominated ones in the west. The harsh truth for the cycling-lobby is most people will prefer public transport or their own car given the choice nowadays - and they do have the choice of the former in Berlin, of course, like in London etc too.

I'd say the number of people in Berlin using a bike routinely is tiny - doing 10 or 20k a day to their work / clients or to see their mates, for example, as is normal in many other parts of Germany.

Also too many big arterial roads do not help. I think a lot of big cities are just inherently not cyclist-friendly for that reason.

Posted

@swimmer: agreed, bike friendly but not a "mecca" which implies bike users everywhere. Münster on the otherhand, big student population, many many bikes and the police enforce the bike laws, so expect to get stopped, maybe even fined if you're riding without lights or going the wrong way down a bike lane, you see none of that here in Berlin.

Posted

No doubt, Berlin is a bicycle mecca compared to other megacities.

@dcgi: been stopped three times in three years biking in Berlin. Of course this is not Münster here...

Posted

I can't believe Bloemfontein isn't up there.

Posted

World's Top 5 cities for Love and Sex and Backpacking

Quote: "Forget Amsterdam, this place is Europe's true center of anything goes liberalism. There is something in the air or the water in Berlin which makes it a truly special city - it is the home of true Bohemia. It is like the one place in Germany where all the people fed up with the uptightness, repression, suppression, and rules of German society go and live. It is truly a live and let live city - if you want to do something, and it is not harming you or anyone else - then just do it already, is the ethos."

Posted

@TobyG, what were you stopped for? You aren't that nudist biker are you? :)