Digital camera recommendations

156 posts in this topic

Posted

Just thought I´d tap into the collective wisdom.. what digital camera would you recommend?

Posted

I've spent a lot of time looking at various cameras lately (eventually bought a Konica Minolta G600). There are two important questions you need to answer to decide on a camera.

1. How much are you willing to spend?

2. What do you want it for?

The first question is not so important if you are only choosing between these two as they are both priced about the same.

The second may sound obvious, to take pictures of course, but it's not so simple. Will most of your photos be indoors or outdoors? Do you want manual controls or will you only use automatic settings? Do you intend to carry the camera with you all the time? How do Jacobs get the figs into the figrolls? And so on...

Although fairly similar, looking at the stats for both cameras the Canon comes out ahead.

Canon advantages:

1. It has manual focus.

(not so important if you're just looking for something to take snapshots)

2. It has a viewfinder.

(often useful as it saves on battery and is better when you're zooming)

3. It has better viewfinder resolution

4. Shutter speed max & min values are much better.

5. You can record sound with the movies

KM X31 advantages:

1. It's smaller and lighter

2. It's got a better flash

3. It looks sexier

In my opinion KM produce better compact digi cameras than Canon but that's always open to debate depending on personal preference.

Despite that, without knowing what you are willing to spend and what you are really looking for in a camera and assuming that these are the only two options on the table then I'd probably go for the Canon.

You can check the comparison yourself at this link.

I looked at loads of magazines while trying to choose but nothing beats holding it in your hand, see if the buttons feel comfortable (although you get used to most cameras after a short while) and definitely ask in the shop for advice & suggestions. In Saturn at Theresienhöhe there's a girl in the camera section who speaks very good English and seems to know a thing or two. She helped me buy my last camera. They're selling them all the time and often have an insight or two which otherwise might be missed.

Hope that helps a little.

Good luck!

Posted

I'm looking to buy a digital camera that takes decent quality photos (so I'm guessing at at least 4 mio pixels), something that is reliable and something that does short movies with sound. It also has to be small and preferably leightweight.

I'd be interested for any feedback on what pitfalls to look out for. I've never owned a digital camera before and there are a lot of variables invloved in deciding which to get. Like - how much memory do you need typically?

I'd also be grateful for any purchase recommendations.

Thanks for any help.

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Ask yourself the following questions:

1. What pictures will you be taking, mostly indoor, outdoor, macros, etc?

2. How much do you want to spend, rough figure is sufficient.

3. How often will you be carrying the camera with you?

4. What will you be doing with the photos, printing, internet?

I've owned quite a number of digital cameras over the last few years and am currently using a Konica-Minolta G600 which I have been very happy with as it fulfills my specific requirements. Previously I've had Fuji MX1700, Fuji 4700z and Pentax Optio S4 as well as a few others.

a. 6 megapixies - why, because I have shaky hands and using the zoom results in blurred shots. The extra pixies means I can take photos without zoom (and always have someone to chat to), crop the bit I'm interested in and still have a shot that's good enough for net use.

b. Manually operated slid cover - why, because I've had many problems with the Fuji & Pentax automatic slid covers which fail if the slightest bit of grit gets in.

c. Good in low light conditions - why, because most of my photos are taken in pubs.

There are a number of other factors I considered when choosing the camera and that's why the G600 was chosen.

When you have your requirements sorted pick a number of models which loosely match them and then do a side-by-side comaprision on DPReview. It's a very useful tool for quickly assessing different models.

Posted

I am totally happy with my Sony DSC T1

Posted

i have the canon digital ixus II with 3,2 magepixles. takes fab photos as far as i'm concerned and is handy to carry around - i have it with me at all times.

Posted

Just got a Canon Powershot G6. Does absolutely everything, so much more than I will probably use it for (the manual is 200+ pages !) Takes 30 second video clips with very good sound quality in a range of resolutions (up to 640 x 480)

Maybe it isnt the smallest but it is smaller than an SLR model and weighs around 450grams with the battery in. Check out this site for excellent reviews of a huge variety of cameras. (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong6/)

If you view by manufacturer you can see a small picture of the camera so you can choose the form factor you are happiest with.

I was thinking about going for the Casio Exilim EX P505 which has a faster start up time and can take movie clips up to the capacity of the memory card but it scored lower in a couple of other areas I was keen on.

Just check out the site above and you'll have all the info you need.

Posted

i have the canon digital ixus II with 3,2 magepixles. takes fab photos as far as i'm concerned

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've got that one too and it's really good, especially the sturdy stainless steel casing.

When I got mine I read loads of reviews on amazon to help me choose which one to get.

Posted

I have a Canon Ixus 500 which is pretty good, no complaints as of yet. I recommend you read the manual though, as I am having difficulty with the speed of taking shots, ie sometimes it takes ages to take a pic, other times it's instantaneous :) I can imagine that it's my problem though, not the camera.

Posted

We chose the Canon digital Ixus 430 (4mp)after much deliberation on www.dpreview.com and other sites. We decided to go for that instead of the 5mp version because the picture quality was said to be better. Higher numbers is not always better but really its just a case of reading the reviews.

Our camera has long since been superceded so the newer ones in the range should be better still.. its a really great little camera... if only it was a little faster :-(

Posted

is 72 dpi normal by the way? I can't increase the dpi on mine although I can increase the size of the picture (so I guess the dpi will increase if I shrink the picture). I suppose 5 million pixels helps too

Posted

I usually look at this location to get detailed review of digital camera.

Digital camera comparison

You would get an idea of the tons of possible camera.

Posted

is 72 dpi normal by the way?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An image does not have an intrinsic dpi but a size in pixels e.g.: 3000x2000. I have no idea why the dpi is set by the camera, it will depend on the medium you see it. It is by convention and simplicity I suppose.

For a screen 72dpi is typical. If you want to print, you will need more dpi.

The dpi is only important when you output the image on a medium like screen or paper.

Photo quality printing is between 150(news picture) and 300(best quality) dpi. That defines the maximum print size you can obtain with the image size you have.

you will print your 3000x2000 jpeg into a 15 x 10 inches print with a quality of 200dpi

If you want beter quality, the mximum will be 10 x 6.6 inches print at 300 dpi.

Posted

For a good Digital camera review site checkout - Megapixel.net

If $$$ wern't an option.. I'd go for one of the following:

Nikon D70

Canon Digital Rebel/EOS 300D

Minolta DiMAGE A200

Olympus E-300

Posted

where can I find a shop for panasonic lumix fz4 in munich, pleas give me the adress, thanks

Posted

Best camera brands imo are Canon and Nikon. They have (typically) the best optics and are leaders in the photography field.

I have a Canon PowerShot S230 Elph 3.2mp. I think key considerations are size. If it's small enough to carry around in your pocket you'll bring it around a lot more than if you have to have it around your neck. Most are small now though so that's not usually a problem. Be wary of the zoom. My camera has an optical zoom and a digital zoom. The digital zoom on most cameras isn't worth crap, the optical is the only zoom that will give you good quality.

Stay away from no name brands is good advice. Also, look at the software and the attachment method to your computer, should be USB (but most are I think).

Lastly, BATTERY LIFE! My batteries go dead way too quickly. See if you can find one with a long battery life or you'll probably need more than one battery for any kind of an extended trip.

Next one I'm looking at is an SLR from Canon, but that's a bit hefty in price (and bulky).

I would make sure you don't go the cheapie way. Anything under €150 is probably not going to be the best quality on the market. But I may be a photo and brand snob in that. Also, don't go below 3.2 megs or you won't be able to print them at the local Muller or Kaufhof. 3.2 will give you normal sized printed pics (4x6 or 5x7 US) if you want to be able to blow up your pics to any larger size you'll probably need to go 5.0 or more megs.

Posted

Thought I'd open this thread up again and ask if there are any 'developments' or recommendations in recently released cameras? I'm not a serious photographer at all, but I'd like something decent, fairly small, and with a decent zoom - any suggestions beyond those above?

How about this one? : http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...0211153-8400428

Posted

I have two digital cameras:

Konica Minolta DiMage Z1 - 3.2 mega pixel, 10x optical zoom, all usual features as a SLR, plus, as well as a screen on the back, it has a digital through the lens (TTL)

Panasonic Lumix DMC FX-7 - 5 mega pixel, 3x optical zoom, 2.5" screen, Leica lens, nice compact camera ideal for taking out at night. Apparently #1 in Japan at the moment. I use it with a 1 Gig SD card

Posted

Sorry Jimbo, I know this doesn't help you for what you're looking for, but I just thought I'd add my two cents about the camera I bought.

I'm a student, so naturally I was looking for something cheap, but I wanted to also play mp3s. I ended up buying a Mustek DV3500 on ebay.com for $80. I'm actually quite impressed with this little camera/camcorder/mp3 player. For someone like myself who's not an afficionado, it's a great little, relatively inexpensive, piece of equipment.

I'll be posting photos and videos of the go-karting soon (probably over the weekend), so anyone is welcome to check out the results.