Help needed writing a letter to my bank

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey all,

So I'm trying to close my Deutsche Bank bank account from the states and need some help writing the letter. I was able to find a standard letter online, but I think it's missing something. I still have about 50 euros in the account that I'd like to transfer to an Italian account(which doesn't cost anything) I was wondering how and where I should add that into this letter? If somebody could help me I would greatly apprectiate it! Here's what i've got so far...

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

hiermit kündige ich meine Mitgliedschaft bei der Deutsche Bank zum Oktober 14, 2009

Meine Versichertennummer: xxxxxxx

Mein Geburtsdatum:xxxxxxx

Von Rückwerbeversuchen bitte ich abzusehen. Bitte senden Sie mir eine schriftliche Bestätigung dieser Kündigung zu.

O and won't they need more information about my account? What is the versichertenummer? My Konto number?

Thank you for the help!!

Posted

If you're confused, it's because you picked a form letter to cancel an insurance policy.

Also, if you ask them to transfer the money (as opposed to doing it yourself in online banking), they will likely charge you something to do so.

Here's your letter:

ich möchte mein Konto bei Ihnen (Kontonummer: <your account number>) zum nächstmöglichen Termin kündigen. Ich bitte Sie, das Restguthaben auf folgendes Konto bei der <name of bank> zu überweisen: IBAN <IBAN of your Italian bank account>, BIC <BIC of your Italian bank>, Kontoinhaber <name of the account holder>.

Bei Rückfragen erreichen Sie mich telefonisch unter <your phone number> bzw. per Mail under <your e-mail address>.

Für Ihre Bemühungen bedanke ich mich im voraus.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Posted

Frankly I'd just write in English if your German is not up to it. Sure they'd get the picture.

Posted

And the 50 Euros will be used to pay for the year 2009 and to close the Konto :unsure:

Posted

Thank you for all the help!

>JeffZ - The only reason I asked about the transfer is because in another post a few people mentioned that the bank won't close your account even if there is just 1 euro left. Unfortunately I have no way of withdrawing the exact amount from here in the US, so I thought I'd send the rest of my money after fees and what not to my girlfriend's account in Italy. The way you worded it seems pefrect! Thank you so much again for your help.

Posted

Hello,

My request is a little different from the topic title. I am posting it here anyways as i don't want to start a new topic just for this.

I have applied for a "invitation letter" for my inlaws to Visit us in Germany. I am supposed to collect it this Monday. I will not be able to take the day off and will have to send my wife on my behalf. I spoke with the lady at the Ausländerbehörde and she asked me to write an authorisation letter and with that my wife will be able to collect the invitation letter.

Can someone help me compose a simple letter in German stating that i authorise my wife to collect the papers on my behals? I am getting stuck mid-way each time i try.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Posted

I think this should work:

hiermit bevollmächtige ich meine Ehefrau, Frau Duckworth-Lewis, die für mich ausgestellten Unterlagen abzuholen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Herr Duckworth-Lewis

[your signature]

Posted

Jeff's wording should do fine. Just knowing the German bureaucracy, maybe add in the Ref.-line: Vollmacht zur Vorlage bei der Auslaenderbehoerde, and - in case she needs identification - add a few words in the middle of the text:

hiermit bevollmächtige ich meine Ehefrau, Frau Duckworth-Lewis, ausgewiesen durch Reisepass Nr. 1234765, die für mich ausgestellten Unterlagen abzuholen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Herr Duckworth-Lewis

[your signature]

Posted

The attached link should help....hmmm now how does one attach a link here <_<

My link

Posted

Regarding the original bank-account-closing request: did this work? Is it actually possible to close a German bank account remotely? I find myself having to close a Postbank account from the UK, and I'm wondering if simply writing a letter will be sufficient. Obviously I'll try. :)

Posted

Bumping this to say that I'm using Jeffo's template (removed the part about transferring money, as I did that myself before closing - will collect the 20 or so Euros left in the account in cash).