Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Eating out on Christmas day

42 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All,

I'm looking for a good restaurant to go to for Christmas Day lunch or dinner.

I know about this article: Munich Found - Xmas, but it doesn't seem to be that comprehensive. Doesn't even talk about Christmas day. Is everywhere really going to be shut? And what about the places they mention?

Atzinger, Cafe Zentral, Lenbach, Anatolya, Mangostin, Paros (Rumfordstr), Johannes Cafe

Any comments? Any other suggestions?

Posted

word of advice suze. dont bother reading anything in the munich found mag.

as for xmas day lunch i recall having a decent nose bag in a place called wirtshaus in der au. maybe that might be worth a shout..its ok there.

someone (if i ask nicely) will hopefully post directions.

i cant..gotta flog a dead horse.

guten appetit.

Posted

Marienplatz Christmas Market shuts at 2pm on 24th December (many Christmas markets actually shut on 23rd December so check with the tourist office before you go - and don't forget that many Germans (for not all celebrate Christmas) exchange presents and have their Christmas dinner on 24th December.

The large Hotels such as the two Hiltons or Königshof (be aware that the Königshof has a Michelin star and prices to match) will offer Christmas dinners at a hefty price - it may well be worth trying http://www.wirtshausinderau.de as this appears to be open? The Big Easy is closed until 27th btw.

http://www.ganz-muenchen.de/gastro/event/w...en/termine.html is still updating though. Can someone drag the Kiwi girl's thread about Christmas dinner over to this one?

Thanks

Katrina

Posted

The following restaurants are serving Christmas specials on Christmas Day (25th December):

Ratskeller

Zoozies

Edisons & Co.

Four Seasons hotel

Königshof

Marks

Wirthaus in der Au (as mentioned)

Arabella Sheraton

Full info here:

Christmas Dinners in Munich

Any others?

Posted

I mentioned this in another thread somewhere, but it fits here too. In case anyone is interested in carol singing, here's the info:

The Christmas Carol Sing will take place on Dec. 21 at Church of the Ascension at 14.00. C of A is housed in the Emmauskirche, Laurinplatz, Harlaching,

Tram 15 or 25 to Authariplatz.

Ding dong merrily on high to all of yous.

Posted

My family is coming to Munich for Christmas and staying in a hotel as I only have a tiny dorm room and shared kitchen. We're planning on going out to eat for Christmas but I'm wondering if resturants will be open christmas eve and christmas day? Does anyone have any experience with this? If they are open, any recomendations? and should I be making reservations now?

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Isn't that nice of them to come over to spend Christmas with you. :) Here's a slightly old list of places that do Christmas dinner. Give them a call to make sure and also make a reservation!

Posted

I remember a couple years ago seeing the Marriott in Berlin advertizing a Christmas dinner. Perhaps the one here in Munich is doing the same.

Posted

My family (father, mother, 20 year old brother, and 12 year old brother) and I will be in Munich for Christmas this year. We're looking for a place to eat Christmas dinner. We're looking for a somewhat traditional German Christmas dinner at a mid-range (€15-20 per person) price, preferably in the Altstadt, as that's where our hotel is.

Does anyone have any suggestions of places?

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Does anyone know any cafes that are open for Sunday Brunch in Schwabing?? I mean on the morning of 25th. For example, Puck cafe, Cream, Vorstadt Cafe, or places like this.. are they open on 25th?? As my German is kinda crap, calling didn't work too well...

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Hiya. Here's a list of potential candidates for Christmas Dinners and Brunches in Munich. The page was created in 2003 so I took a peek at the links. Looks like Zoozies, Ratskeller, and the Four Seasons Hotel are all offering brunch. Didn't follow the Edison link as I think they've closed down.

I don't think any of them are technically in Schwabing but Munichs not so big. :)

Posted

if you just want a standard brunch, then I think you'll find most German places open on Christmas Day

we went to Cafe Forum one year, I know they're open

dunno about anywhere else though

Posted

How about Christmas fare but before Christmas?

We are not having an office party so our team is thinking of a nice dinner out.

We were hoping for a traditional meal but this would be long before Christmas, i.e. early Dec.

Any ideas?

Posted

any bavarian restaurant in the center (augustiner, spaten, dürnbräu, andechs etc)... see TT restaurant selection. nearly all of them are nice and not too expensive.

my works is going for a dinner early dec. however, you need to book now/soon.

Posted

We always go for a lovely Christmas lunch at the Mandarin Oriental's Restaurant Mark's. Also went there for Easter this year. The menu prices are very reasonable and the food was much nicer than the Four Seasons brunch. (my opinion)

Posted

When I was in Australia, I saw a MacDonalds advertising the fact that they were open on Xmas day - that´s one of the last places I would want to spend Xmas! :blink:

Posted

So, this year I won't be able to go "home" at Xmas, due to work demands :( Have been talking o a few others in a similar predicament, and we were wondering about where in Munich you could get, not only food, but a more or less traditonal (englishy) Xmas dinner.

I am assuming that at the vey least, some of the international hotels would be offering something of the sort. But does anyone actually know of a place doing it? Any suggestions appreciated!

Posted

I think previously the Park Hilton have done in the past and maybe the Sheraton, but not 100% on the sheraton.

Munich Found usually has adverts for christmas day.

I will be in the same boat this year as you. So, would love to not have to spend the day alone.

Posted

Great, thanks Carm. Will check them out (and Munich Found).

I think there will be quite a few people who may be interested in "home-cooked" dinner. I imagine it'll be a little on the pricey side, but I think it's woth it for Xmas. Will post back once I find out - I MAY even organise it :rolleyes:

Posted

I will be spending Christmas day wandering around in Munich with another Ami. Does anybody know of restaurants in Munich that will be open and serving a "Christmas" dinner (I guess I am referring to American style, but am obviously open to whatever) on the 25th?

Also, will the bars be open? We are going by train and will be staying in a hostel near the Hauptbahnhof, so the closer the better. The links here are pretty old so thought we could resurrect this one! Aside from bars and restaurants, is there anything else we could see or do? I am assuming museums and will be closed, but maybe there is some cool stuff to just go look at?

Thanks for your help everyone!