Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Unemployment benefits after 6 months employment

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Guys,

A really important question! Am I eligible for Unemployment benefits provided that I have worked for less than 12 months in Munich. In fact, I had a 6-month contract, which was not RECENTLY renewed (at LMU) I am Canadian with all diplomas = BBA, Masters and MBA. Really interested in finding a teaching position or one at a company! German level - medium! So far I've been here for 2 years (stuying earlier)

I JUST WONDER IF I AM ELEGIBLE FOR THIS UNEPMOYMENT BENEFIT? (get some extra money before i find a new job from that agency) And how much money would they give me under my situation?

Please any piece of advice will be highly apreciated!

Thanks

Kerry

PS.

take note that i did (before a 6-month contract) and still work for another international company but receive the money on my credit card, which has nothing to do with the German system!

Posted

You´re not eligible for unemployment benefits (Arbeitslosengeld) ... but the money that you receive(d) on your credit card has something to do with the German system insofar as it is taxable income in Germany

Posted

I am no expert on the laws, but I recently filed for unemployment too. Here is what my experience is - you have to have worked full time for a company in Germany paying "Arbeitslosenversicherung" for a full year. Most freelance jobs don't count. You must have registered as unemployed within 3 work days from leaving the job. Your visa can greatly affect registering as unemployed - if your visa is "eingeschraenkt" (says you are only allowed to stay here if you work for a specific company) you need to get a new visa that allows you to accept a new job. There are forms your former company must fill out stating how long you worked and how much you were paid. It doesn't matter how they paid you, you just need proof that you worked there and paid all of the social taxes including unemployment insurance. There are several meetings, and you have to prove you are actively looking for a new job, I just showed them copies of the applications I sent out. If you meet all the criteria, they will still take a week or two to decide if and how much you will receive. All of this information is easily found on the Agentur fuer Arbeit website and if you have any trouble there are telephone numbers. Your best bet is to make an appointment and talk to an advisor about it. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of bureaucracy!

Posted

If you are an EU citizen and have worked in the EU before working in Germany then that time can also count towards your entitlement for ALG1. It did for me.

Posted

Hi,

I'm resuscitating this thread since it applies most directly to my girlfriend's situation.

She's Italian and has been working for 8 months in a restaurant (not a mini-job) and had her public health insurance organised and paid by her work. The place is now closing down.

Will she have any rights to social security whether in the form of Hartz IV, health insurance payments or anything else, while she is looking for a new job?

Thanks very much!

Posted

Short answer: No, she's not entitled to unemployment benefits. But. It's not that simple.

Longer answer: Please use the search function. There is lots of information on this here on TT.

* TT Wiki page on unemployment benefits

* Hartz IV for foreigners in Germany

* No more Hartz IV for immigrants?

ALG I (unemployment benefits) is contribution-based, and you need to have been employed for at least one year to be eligible to receive it. ALG II, also known as Hartz IV (social benefits) is needs-based - however, Germany has just closed one of loopholes in their system, which means that foreigners are no longer entitled to Hartz IV.

Ultimately, she'll need to get herself to the Agentur für Arbeit as quickly as possible, get herself registered as a job-seeker, and find out what they say. If she was employed in the last - I think it's five years - in Italy, for example, therefore employed over a year in the last five years, then there might be a loophole for her to get benefits transferred from Italy to Germany for however long Italy pays them. I give no guarantees on the accuracy of that information though - it's been a long day and I'm too tired to search for information that you could just as well find yourself.

Posted

Short answer: No, she's not entitled to unemployment benefits.

Longer answer: Please use the search function. There is lots of information on this here on TT.

* TT Wiki page on unemployment benefits

* Hartz IV for foreigners in Germany

* No more Hartz IV for immigrants?

ALG I (unemployment benefits) is contribution-based, and you need to have been employed for at least one year to be eligible to receive it. ALG II, also known as Hartz IV (social benefits) is needs-based - however, Germany has just closed one of loopholes in their system, which means that foreigners are no longer entitled to Hartz IV.

Ultimately, she'll need to get herself to the Agentur für Arbeit as quickly as possible, get herself registered as a job-seeker, and find out what they say. If she was employed in the last - I think it's five years - in Italy, for example, therefore employed over a year in the last five years, then there might be a loophole for her to get benefits transferred from Italy to Germany for however long Italy pays them. I give no guarantees on the accuracy of that information though - it's been a long day and I'm too tired to search for information that you could just as well find yourself.

It's really not that simple, because she was working beforehand, thus she did not come to Germany to "look for work" (which is where the loophole was rightfully closed) but rather she became unemployed due to the place closing down.

She may be legally entitled to ALG-II (she might be better off going back to Italy, but that is a different story). I would even say, she is likely to be entitled, since I can't see how the Arbeitsagentur could say that she is here just to "look for work" rather than having a stable life and having been fired due to external circumstances.

Even from a "moral" standpoint, if she was simply fired due to the place closing down, it's hard to object to ALG-II as an entitlement. It's an universal insurance against unemployment for people having a stable life in Germany.

Posted

She's Italian and has been working for 8 months in a restaurant (not a mini-job) and had her public health insurance organised and paid by her work. The place is now closing down.

Will she have any rights to social security whether in the form of Hartz IV, health insurance payments or anything else, while she is looking for a new job?

Has she worked (and paid unemployment insurance premia) anywhere else in the EU/EEA/CH for more than 4 months in the past two years? She should go ASAP to register as Arbeitssuchend at the Agentur für Arbeit and ask what forms she'll need from her former foreign employers (assuming she has worked more than 4 months). If she doesn't speak German she should take someone with her who does.

IIRC she might also have the right to 6 months of ALGII since she has become unemployed through no fault of her own.

Posted

Hi, Thank you all very much for the pointers. We will go to the Agentur für Arbeit to work it out further.