Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mannheim English-language book club

36 posts in this topic

Posted

So, I don´t know if anyone already has one, and I would love to join if there is one, but what about a book club? I was in one in Paris and it was great! Kindof an Everyone welcome, everyone has a fair say in what we read kindof thing. (Not every month reading a romance, or horror, but maybe one month a romance and one month a horror etc.?) If anyone is interested, then I don´t mind organizing it!

Just leave a message on the thread!

Posted

Well, you’re not exactly the first person seeking, as TT shows. Or perhaps here.

Edit: I assume of course, that you are referring to "Mannheimer" as in Mannheim, German town.

Posted

Those are helpful, but I really want something Active. A solid plan and not a pipe dream!

Posted

This is something I would love to get involved in. I always meant to join one back home (Canada) but never did. I'm in Friedrichsfeld...

allie

Posted

Its really junk that I am back in the US....I really want to come "home" but I can't find a job that is willing to pay me...nuts..

Posted

As I probably said on the other threads, I am interested too but it'll all depend on the style/length of book and what I have on at the time :)

In case you want to give me a headstart, I am currently reading Shalom Auslander's "Foreskin's Lament".

Posted

Hi Everybody,

Is there any functioning book club in Mannheim currently? I would be interested in joining one.

Thanks, L.

Posted

Hi L,

I would also be interested in joining a book club in Mannheim, have you heard anything back after your post?

Maybe we should start one? I anyone else interested?

I have never been part of a book club, but as a literature student, I have had my share of discussing books.

Looking forward to hearing from some book-lovers,

Jana

Posted

hi Jana,

I would be interested in joining a book club, I live in Heidelberg, but can join you guys in Mannheim. When do you meet up?

Posted

Hi, I'm going to one tomorrow evening (18th) at the English library Heidelberg (DAI). Book is Freedom by J.Franzen. See: dai-library.blogspot.com

Posted

Hi Jana & brostar2010,

I have also found the book club in Heidelberg but as I work in Stuttgart, it is a bit complicated for me to travel to Heidelberg and so on... Would you be really interested in setting up a book club in Mannheim?

Have a great weekend

Leila

Posted

Hi Guys

I would definitely be interested in a book club in Mannheim. Let me know if you are planning anything.

Cheers

Posted

Hey guys! Let's make this happen, because I've been slacking on actually reading the books I've bought here and I'd love to meet more people. I picked up a British dark comedy when I first got here (Skippy Dies... Thalia sells it here), anyone interested in joining me for reading this? I'm game for something else, but let me know. :)

Posted

Hi Everybody,

So lets get started. We have a book recommendation from Karissa9. Do you have any suggestion when we shall get together to discuss the book? :)

L.

Posted

Hi!

I can meet any weekday evening from around 7 onwards

I've never been in a bookclub so I don't know how long you usually have to read the book. (I should read it pretty quick cos I've got a long commute!)

Posted

Hi all,

Sorry for not replying in a while, I actually thought I would get an e-mail from Toytown if there was anything happening in this thread, so I haven't checked it in a while. But I am happy to see there are others interested in a book club in Mannheim.

I have had Skippy Dies on my stack of "to read" books for a while now and would love to read and discuss. I actually bought it for it's interesting cover :)

I would suggest having a Monday or Tuesday meet (maybe starting on Nov 12/13)? Maybe once a month? If we are all fast readers we could go with every two weeks as well?

I would suggest meeting at Cafe Lido as it is a very cute and fairly quiet cafe which is not far from the station, for those of you coming to MA by train. I am also open to other suggestions, of course! We could each prepare a few suggestions for further reading and make up a reading list together.

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Jana

Posted

Hi

The cafe lido sounds good to me, Tuesday 13th Nov, maybe about 7.30 if that suits people? I'll put Skippy dies on my shopping list.

looking forward to it!

Posted

sorry, I haven't checked this in a while, but that meet up next Tuesday suits me. I am in a middle of a couple of other books at the moment, so I don't know if I will get to finish it by then, but I will certainly try!

So so you all next week!

Posted

I'd also be interested in joining and will be definitely put Skippy Dies on my shopping list!

However, I am not sure where Cafe Lido. Could anyone explain apprx. in which direction it is from the central station? :)

Posted

I am happy to hear that some of you will make it next week!

Cafe Lido is on Seckenheimer Strasse. When you step out of the Hauptbahnhof in Mannheim and you turn to the right you see the post office, take the street which leaves the post office on your right (Heinrich-Lanz-Str) and follow that street until you hit Seckenheimer Strasse. Go right on Seckenheimer Str and Cafe Lido will be on your right! Google Maps says its a 7 minute walk, so it will probably take about 5 :)

Happy Reading!