Ryanair stop their Hahn-Manchester route.

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Now as much as I hate Ryanair and that robbing b*****d Michael O'Leary, I'm gutted to hear that the Manchester - Hahn route will be closing as of October 1st.

BBC Article

Yes, they are as usful as a chocolate teapot.

Yes, the 'cheap deals' turned out to cost more than hiring a private jet

and yes Hahn is actually nowhere near... well anything.

..but to be honest, I got used to all that. I came to expect poor service and expensive crap food, and sometimes I even liked having a whinge with fellow passengers, whilst the monobrowed eastern european air stewards tried to force me to buy a scratchcard.

But with Ryanair gone, what are the alternatives?

Well there's Lufthansa, a good airline, but the cheapest you'll get is about €90 and that's if you book quite a bit in advance.

Then there is Flybe, probably one of the most expensive "Low fare" airlines I've ever come across, and again make sure you have your crystal ball ready to see what you're upto in June 2011.

So what are the cheap alternative to travel back to Manchester? Any ideas? anyone?

Anyone fancy chipping in for a TT Jet?

Posted

I think TUIfly still offer Cologne to Manchester with some flights that leave at dawn and arrive after midnight.

Posted

In another thread it was stated that 3 other airports in the UK would be picking up the moved traffic from Manchester.

So look for route changes for sure, but i Doubt Ryanair will completely leave Hahn. They have to much invested there

not to mention sweetheart deals with the airport authority and local govt.

Posted

They're also cutting back on the Prestwick flights from Hahn. I had real problems trying to book recently- very few flights available and I ended up having to change my plans to suit the flights I could get.

I don't think Ryanair has invested much in Hahn- their business practice is to bring the passenger numbers but to leave the local taxpayers to fund any infrastructure investment, while hoovering up any deals they can get out of the airport.

Still, I had a look at the alternatives and they're much more expensive and involve changing at one of the London airports, and a longer drive either to LUX or FRA too.

Posted

Lufthansa deals make me laugh, 90 Euro if you fly at 24:00 and come back at 06:00 in the morning. 600 Euro if you decide to come back a few hours later. BA seem to be more stable with their prices. I think I prefer not having the opportunity to fly with Ryan air anyway. I'll no longer have to deal with the bunch of chavs that jump on those flights for a start.

I do feel quite sorry for the weekly commuters tho, I have spoken to quite a few who fly to Stanstead and that airport is also going to be affected.

Posted

This thread is hardly shows Brits in a good light imho. We have people: (1) moaning about how awful the service is even though they are regular users; (2) complaining that a piffling 90 Eur for a return flight with a better airline from a much more accessible airport is too much; and (3) insulting everyone who uses ryanair...themselves excepted presumably.

There seems to be no issue with Hahn according to the link. It's the Manc end that's the problem, not Hahn.

Posted

Why is that? I have consistanly run into chavs on the Ryanair flights I have been on. This doesnt mean that everyone who fly's with them are chavs its the fact that on the Lufthansa and BA flights you get more of a business class. If Ryanair flew from the Main airport then ofcourse I'd fly with them as they are very cheap and I dont expect more then a seat. 90 euro is a good deal but getting that deal with good flight times is not an easy task. As I stated if its not a deal with them they charge silly prices.

Posted

90 euro is a good deal but getting that deal with good flight times is not an easy task. As I stated if its not a deal with them they charge silly prices.

then get yourself a miles and more credit card and use it for the majority of your spending, including paying for flights on other airlines. I've been able to build up a decent airmiles balance from a combination of regular flights and using the credit card for work related travel expenses over the last couple of years. That means I can basically now decide at 48 hours notice where in Europe I want to fly to with Lufthansa and only have to pay taxes/fees. That has saved me thousands over the last year or two. Personally, i think Lufthansa are great (but perhaps thats because I remember the times -not so long ago- when to fly from Scotland to Northern Ireland cost a minimum of 150 quid and more usually like 200)

Posted

Well...

This thread is hardly shows Brits in a good light imho. We have people: (1) moaning about how awful the service is even though they are regular users.

So, if you use a service regularly, it must mean that the service provided is good? Well now I know this isn't true. There are thousands of people in the UK, who catch a train every day, often they are delayed or cancelled. Good service? No. But you will find these people at the platform everyday.

Ryanair are renowned for their poor service, a quick Google search will highlight 100's of news stories about them, 90% of them negative.

or have a look here

(2) complaining that a piffling 90 Eur for a return flight with a better airline from a much more accessible airport is too much

A piffling €90? well that all depends on what €90 means to you as an individual, and I don't think you can speak for the whole of the Toytown community when you say that, but nice try at nominating yourself as the voice of Toytown.

That aside I don't think anyone complained about the €90? perhaps you got confused? I did mention that you would need to book quite some time in advance to get these prices, as I sure you can imagine, this isn't always possible.

(3) insulting everyone who uses ryanair...themselves excepted presumably.

I'm curious, have you ever flown with Ryanair from Hahn? I'll be interested in the answer.

There seems to be no issue with Hahn according to the link. It's the Manc end that's the problem, not Hahn.

Again, no one mentioned a problem with Hahn, and no, the problem isn't the Manc end, possibly if you read the article provided in the link... which clearly states that even though charges have been reduced by Manchester airport for the last 15 years, this recent charge would be as low as 3 GBP per passenger. A charge that Ryanair would not accept.

Possibly you could read the post again, and provide some constructive suggestions, I'll ask again..

So what are the cheap alternative to travel back to Manchester? Any ideas? anyone?

Posted

Personally, I think Ryanair are just using charges as an excuse for shifting the aircraft to other airports where there are no competing airlines flying the same routes

Posted

I flew with them yesterday on this very route and as usual it was pretty awful, they did not even bother to clean the plane inbetween landing and take off, my seating area and table were covered in biscuits and Ribena.

They are obviously desperate for business on this route, I booked it the day before and it was only 54 pounds, the plane was packed and this is not the usual pricing method for one of their busy planes.

Posted

Let's get real, folks. On the Frankfurt-London route, it's much cheaper to go from Frankfurt to London (City)with Lufthansa, as public transport is readily available. Hahn-Stansted meant an expensive busride from Frankfurt to Hahn, O' Leary's flying con and then the expensive train from Stansted to London.

No contest! My outlaws have already done this, and definately preferred Lufthansa (Augsburg Air, a Lufthansa subsidiary).

And they were in their 80s.

Posted

True in general but assumes you are going from Frankfurt (or south Hesse) to London itself and depend on public transport. Not everyone has those requirements, of course. If you are in RP in the vicinity of Hahn and / or heading to Norfolk or south Lincs etc, the other option may well suit much better.

Posted

Flybe also fly the Frankfurt (am Main FRA) airport to Manchester FRA-MAN. The price tends to be a bit cheaper than Lufty and you can book one way economy if you like, which is useful sometimes...

http://www.flybe.com/timetableClassic/timetable.jsp?selDep=FRA&selDest=MAN

http://www.flybe.com/

Posted

I didn't catch the full report on North-West Tonight, but I think that Ryanair are restarting the route Frankfurt-Hahn to Manchester in the Autumn.

Posted

Hi all,

On their website..

It is there as a new route and it will start again from November 1st and will fly to Manchester(T2)

Hahn toManchester

Posted

Yes, it kick off again from early November (2011) - also Manchester to Memmingen which is a completely new route. Useful if you need to go from Manchester to remote areas of Germany :)

Posted

So as of today,there are no more flights from Hahn to Manchester by Ryanair anymore.

Posted

and flybe no longer fly Frankfurt -Manchester either