Barbeque on the balcony

73 posts in this topic

Posted

Howdy folks, quick (possible legal) query...

so here's the good weather finally and what's the first thing you do? Barbeque! Saturday evening just after I lit the barbeque on the balcony (2nd floor of a 3 floor building), I hear a voice from above (tenant above that is, no religious/easter jokes here!) saying that you're only allowed to use an electric barbeque on a balcony because the smoke travels up and goes in the windows of the person above you?!?!

Is this right? I mean it only smokes for about ten minutes untill it heats up, maybe she was just hungry. ;)

Posted

That is correct. You may only use a gas or electric BBQ on your balcony, not coals. Them be the rulez.

Posted

do you have a hof behind your apartment? If so, use it for charcol grilling. I was at DDBug's last night and we grilled in the hof with lots of friends, and do that often and get no complaints. My building has a roof terrace, and I have Electric grilled up there.

Good luck in finding a 'grill safe' location.

Posted

The law was actually recently changed for inner-city Munich. You used to be allowed to bbq on your balcony using charcoal, but not longer.

I still do it though :)

Posted

That said, I don't think the neighbors were too pleased about our little easter sunday BBQ. Though more so because of the noise I think.

Posted

what about if there is no one above you (ie you live on the top floor) can you still charcoal bbq then?

Posted

I think the neighbour upstairs will have to mysteriously disappear, the day before I serve some tasty barbeque, whistlestop cafe style! :lol:

Posted

Hm, any way I can get my neighbors to stop smoking on their balcony, then? ;)

Posted

So back in the States I would grill more than cooking on the stove or in the oven. Where can I get a gas grill around here and where/how easy is it to refile the tanks. Haven't seen any of the "drop off" places like in the States.

Posted

We bought our grill in the States - however, we did see some grills at OBI and at Praktiker. We did buy our gas tank here at OBI. But, you will have to do a little conversion to make the American grill fit the German tank. Works great.

Posted

Hi all, I was just thinking about buying a little BBQ and setting it up on my balcony...but the question I have is whether or not it is allowed...Is there any bi-law prohibiting the use of BBQ's on balcony's or does it depend on the owner of the building or the apartment??? As always, all your advice is apprecaited.

Cheers,

Posted

thanks...i think that solves the problem...now i just gotta get a BBQ.

Cheers

Posted

The Mieterverein just had an article on this in their magazine, and grilling is a no-no on the balcony. Even a gas grill may produce enough smoke to bother your neighbors and if they call the cops, you are in the wrong. There is a Generalverbot of grilling on any balcony in an apartment building.

Posted

I wonder what about grilling in the hof behind our house? Haven't read my Mietverein magazine yet, anything in there about that?

Posted

Translated from the article:

In a apartment block / house where there are several families it is permissable to grill once a month on the Ballcony, when the other occupants are informed a minimum of 48 hours in advance. (Amtsgericht Bonn, 6 C 545/96)

There may be a grill ban written in the rules of the house however. (Landgericht Essen, 10 S 438/01)

Posted

Once a month with 48 hours written notice? If you tried that in Canada they would call the cops (I mean notifying your neighbours evry time you wanted to grill :) ).

Posted

The court ruling is about establishing case law, not a statute.

So if it was once a month on 48 hours notice you can instantly say f*** off to the neighbours but that isn't a minimum requirement.

It's the same with parties. You have the right to have a party twice a year i think plus birthdays. that doesn't mean 3 times plus birthdays is gonna get you nicked.

But charcoal: NO!

There's also the fire risk to consider. :ph34r:

Posted

Best bet is to use electric..FULLSTOP!

Cops will fine you with no sympathy... I can understand that!

Posted

Nach Ansicht des Amtsgerichts Essen spielt es auch keine Rolle, ob mit Holzkohlegrill oder Elektrogrill auf dem Balkon eines Mehrfamilienhauses gegrillt wird.

Posted

The last time we had a BBQ on our balcony, we waited until our neighbours went to bed... no probs then (however, not good for the waistline :)

Posted

I would like to know the laws concerning grilling in the Innenhof of my apartment. A few neighbors and I would like to have a grill party, but they mentioned that they tried this a few yeras ago and an old women in an apartment above poured water out her balcoy on to the grill. We have a large innenhof and I would like to move the grill more to the center, is this allowed...I will speak with my hausverwaltung about this first, but I would like to know the laws as what was posted before only pertains to balconies.

Posted

There's no simple answer for this one, I'm afraid. It depends on the court. Some say you can, some say you can't. What does your Mietvertrag say? Anyway, if you've already got a neighbor lady like that, I'd expect trouble.