Expats seeming to hate Berlin

177 posts in this topic

Posted

Yah, all I've seen on this board is a huge bitchfest of how awful Berlin is. Well if so, then why don't you just fuck off and make your life a bit happier somewhere else?

For my part I'm still loving it here...

Posted

AGREED!

I posted a question on how realistic it was to move to Berlin(with German citizenship), work with kids and look into a Masters degree. I got over 50 answers, most of which said something along the lines of "stay where you are because too many people are moving here" or "the economy sucks" (PS: where does it not suck right now?) or telling me that it was downright impossible.

How absurd. The forum seems to me to be a place for people who want to GO PLACES, MEET NEW PEOPLE, EXPERIENCE NEW THINGS, ETC. So what good does it do ANYONE to say it isn't worth it???

I think people giving such worthless, negative, presumptuous, unhelpful advice need to find another forum. Go bitch on your myspace blog.

Pleased and Thank-you.

-Sarah

Posted

I posted a question on how realistic it was to move to Berlin(with German citizenship), work with kids and look into a Masters degree. I got over 50 answers, most of which said something along the lines of "stay where you are because too many people are moving here" or "the economy sucks" (PS: where does it not suck right now?) or telling me that it was downright impossible. ...How absurd. The forum seems to me to be a place for people who want to GO PLACES, MEET NEW PEOPLE, EXPERIENCE NEW THINGS, ETC. So what good does it do ANYONE to say it isn't worth it??? ...I think people giving such worthless, negative, presumptuous, unhelpful advice need to find another forum. Go bitch on your myspace blog.

I sometimes think when people ask questions on TT, they can sometimes be unbelievably ungrateful to the people who took the time to respond to them - and this is such a case.

I had a look at the replies you got to your questions. They certainly do not add up to what you have written here. People took the time to give their opinion and, as far as I could see, none of them come under the heading of bitching.

Many young people might think they would like to go to Berlin. It would have been a city of preference for me. Many would go and just see what happens, taking the rough with the smooth. You decided to post here and ask. A lot of people took the time to tell it as they saw it. Now to turn around on another thread and accuse those of replying as you have is unfair, to say the least.

On the other hand, I do somehow sympathise with the OP's sentiments. The difference though is: S/he was speaking generally. As far as I know, s/he did not ask a specific question and was complaining about the responses.

Posted

@msalama:

This is an online forum in which all participants are free to express their views on Berlin. If you have a problem with this, you should consider leaving.

Your rant achieves nothing, and your bad language isn't beneficial to this forum either.

@sarah m:

If you're so sure about wanting to go to Berlin and pursuing your goals, then why do you ask how realistic your plans are? Go ahead and do it. Or tell your readers that you only want to hear positive, encouraging comments and no warnings.

Posted

I think that Berlin is a wonderful city, but it has it's downside just like anywhere else. If you ask for people's opinion then your likely to get both sides of the story told <_<

Posted

I sometimes think when people ask questions on TT, they can sometimes be unbelievably ungrateful to the people who took the time to respond to them - and this is such a case.

exactly... And this is the exact reason why people have become reluctant to give any real info or opinions on this forum when you turn around and get criticised for it... EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion, and if you want honest good advice on this forum you need to take the good with the bad... <_<

Posted

AGREED!

I posted a question on how realistic it was to move to Berlin(with German citizenship), work with kids and look into a Masters degree. I got over 50 answers, most of which said something along the lines of "stay where you are because too many people are moving here" or "the economy sucks" (PS: where does it not suck right now?) or telling me that it was downright impossible.

How absurd. The forum seems to me to be a place for people who want to GO PLACES, MEET NEW PEOPLE, EXPERIENCE NEW THINGS, ETC. So what good does it do ANYONE to say it isn't worth it???

I think people giving such worthless, negative, presumptuous, unhelpful advice need to find another forum. Go bitch on your myspace blog.

Pleased and Thank-you.

-Sarah

I don't agree. You were going to leave everything behind and move to Berlin without a job AND you were going to get a place online without ever seeing it.

Be grateful.

Posted

So people took the time and trouble to give you honest opinions, often based on personal experience. Sorry but Berlin's unemployment rate *is* 20% (perhaps more among newcomers). Berlin *is* an economic basket case and one of Europe's poorhouses. Young people who have lived here all their lives and have far better qualifications than you *are" struggling. That people here are not about to fall at your feet in gratitude for the suggestion you might honour us with your presence here does not make those facts wrong. So now all you now want to do is whinge and criticise.

Every time I see yet another newcomer come to TT and ask for free advice and information, and people to take the time to give honest answer, only for the new poster to come back and slag them off with a complete lack of gratitude and grace (usually with a complete rewriting of the truth as Orla indicates), I'm staggered. But you just about take the biscuit, I'm afraid. If your attititude of entitlement (take what I like from others and then be negative and impolite and ungrateful about them) is in any way typical of the people that are "drawn" to Berlin, there's no wonder the place is in difficulties. It could hardly be any different.

Also - to the OP, why does a certain type of immigrant try and put their fellow immigrants under pressure to say that their life in the place they've chosen has to be perfect? Nowhere is perfect. Immigration is an enormous pressure that can cause a lot of problems...even just living does! Also a lot of people have not "chosen" Berlin (or anywhere) as such. They chose a romantic relationship, job op etc. Berlin could be anywhere.

Finally, I see posts here who say they don't like Berlin as the people can be unfriendly. The language and hostility of your post gives a good indication shows exactly why. So, if you are genuinely wondering why people don't like the place, take a look in the mirror and you might have the answer.

Posted

Sarah-M, you don't have to take any advice seriously. People have warned you about certain problems you may face and you can disregard them all and do what you want anyway. Maybe it'll turn out great and if not, then at least you'll be richer of experience :)

Posted

Sarah you have shown your true colors so it's quite clear why you will never make it in Berlin or anywhere else from what I can ascertain. Uneducated, thankless, pointless, mentalist and unemployable...if you move anywhere try a trailer park and raise a German flag. If you do however arrive in Berlin anywhere beyond your dreams I think you just managed to destroy any good will or support you will receive from this community, it's support meetups and the likes. Well done. You'll never get a job babysitting or in child care as you are most likely to throw the baby out of the pram, climb in and play with the Toys.

Posted

Berlin is a cool city when you are a youngster, young adult, "artist" or plain hippie. I still like the city but once you grow up it gets old and you understand why people prefer other (nicer) cities.

Posted

When I first moved to Berlin about 6 years ago, most ex-pats I met were negative about the chances of finding a good job here...after a few months I actually did get a great job (lucky?) and enjoyed all the good and (complained about the bad) experiences Berlin had to offer. When they were reciting their 'ohh Berlin, you will never get a job' type speech I would think to myself well, if I have that attitude of course I won't!! You have to remain positive, yet realistic of course. Have some savings before you arrive, or a plan B in case it doesn't work out for you here. But life is too short to be put off by other people's comments if what you really want to do is see for yourself. Be brave!

It's not forever anyway - but I guess when the bad outweighs the good, or you have new opportunities elsewhere, then it's time to go (as is my situation). It's pretty pointless squabbling about what is good or bad because it always comes down to a person's individual needs at that time in their life, be it a plethora of parties, paid maternity leave, free education etc etc.

If you have negative experiences here, use them to remind yourself what is important to YOU...if 'other' people are rude, remind yourself that you don't need to be! Maybe they left that encounter thinking 'damn I handled that badly...' but let it be their problem. Having said that, sometimes it feels good to complain and hear that others are going through the same issues. Daily life can get the better of you here and people want to share their sentiments here on this forum...I don't think it means that everyone on the site hates Berlin. :unsure:

Posted

When I first moved to Berlin about 6 years ago, most ex-pats I met were negative about the chances of finding a good job here...after a few months I actually did get a great job (lucky?) and enjoyed all the good and (complained about the bad) experiences Berlin had to offer.

What job did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted

I agree and smile. The job chances six years ago were very different in an upswing. Today we are very much in a downturn.

I hold doors open. I say Guten Morgan, Guten Abend, Guten Nacht, polite and friendly. It doesn't always work but hey that's life in any big city anywhere in the world. When you let yourself slip you can go down quick. When the going gets tuff you have to keep going and being more and more friendly. It's urban terrorism in it's most positive form.

Posted

Sarah you have shown your true colors ... mentalist

Cool, she can apply for a job with this guy:

Die Mentalisten

Wer wird The next Uri Geller? Zehn Talente haben die Chance

Klick dich durch die Steckbriefe

post-12567-1247911277.jpg

Posted

got to second swimmer's opinion. Not everyone here is a yuppie seeking their fortune... many of us are here because we sort of have to be.

My soon-to-be husband is from here and is finishing university here. As soon as he is finished we will prepare to leave. Until then I am under no obligation to claim that it is the most perfect city I've ever seen. Deal with it.

Posted

So what is the most perfect city you have ever dealt with? Where will you move?

Posted

hal, nowhere is perfect. I particularly like the northwest coast of north america, though. we are planning on moving to vancouver.

Posted

They do not need a job, they will not de-register in Germany so they can continue sucking Hartz IV benefits.