Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Converting classic UK BT landline phone

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok, this topic has been covered before to some extent, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas about how to get this old BT Viscount working on the Gerry festnetz?

post-40884-1247675646_thumb.jpg

Posted

If the phone has a standard BT plug then Bavaria Satellite used to sell an adapter:

I will give you a clue...

These cost 25€ plus postage!

Maybe they even still do?

You could maybe get a replacement cable but older phones need a voltage boost to be used on the German system which I imagine that adapter provides.

Posted

Thanks YL (How do you know this stuff?)

Posted

If the phone has a standard BT plug then Bavaria Satellite used to sell an adapter:

Maybe they even still do?

You could maybe get a replacement cable but older phones need a voltage boost to be used on the German system which I imagine that adapter provides.

If they do, you could get a new cordless German phone for a few euros more. I bought a telekom branded one last year for around €30.

Posted

My thoughts too; but I presumed he has some particular affection to this nasty, horrible, ancient, simple phone from the UK.

Posted

People do like things that remind them of themselves. :P

Posted

Ok, here goes again on this English telephone in Germany business. I have a beautiful 1940s black bakelite phone from the UK which has been converted to work in the UK - which it does - complete with glorious pre-digital bells. Have connected it to my router here in Germany with an adapter BT-TAE. I can ring people, but IT DOES NOT RING on incoming calls. I saw a post from Grinner, who seems to know about these things - difference in voltage and all that. But that was ages ago. Are you still out there, or can somebody else help? Thanks.

Posted

Yep - ringing voltage on UK phones is aorund 70V, whereas the German system provides only around 40V so you don't have enough volts to ring the bell. Try sourcing an BT "master socket" in UK and wiring it to a German TAE cord/plug. The master socket has a capacitor in it which pumps up the ring voltage. Not sure if it will work for such an ancient phone though.

Posted

:) Thanks, I'll try that. I will do anything to get this classic phone working - the Germans are really impressed by it, and think I'm nuts of course.

Posted

would this be one of those sockets?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Master-Telephone-Socket-Connections/dp/B004Y148OA/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352793501&sr=1-22

theres a big lump of a capacitor on it anyhow.

Posted

That'll do the business. You then need a German (TAE) phone plug to wire up to it, or better still get a German phone cable with plug already attached, cut the wire and attach it to the BT socket. Did you try Bavaria Satellite in the link above? They used to sell them 5 years ago, and maybe still do.

Posted

not much luck with Bavaria Satellite, but I'm going to try this BT Master Socket on Amazon and wire it up to a TAE....Ich bin gespannt! Thanks for the tips. Been in Deutschland for years but never thought of joining this crowd....

Posted

Is the only problem that you can't hear when it rings? I had that problem and so I just plugged a cheap German phone in and then knew when the UK phone was silently ringing. You can test by ringing the phone, picking it up (even though you don't hear it ring) and see if you can talk to the person on the other line.

I had a very nice phone that my dad had bought me just before I decided to move to Germany. He was a BT pensioner so had got it at the staff rate, and I wanted to keep using it. This solution worked fine for me.

Posted

no, this isn't quite the point. The idea is to get this beautiful 1940s re-conditioned telephone itself to actually ring, shocking everyone in the vicinity (including my customers). I am following up the leads (oops, sorry about that pun) already given and will report back in due course. Call me a retro-freak if you will, but "Spass muss sein" - even in Germany.

Posted

One way would be to intercept the wire to the bell, and attach a relay and a power supply, so that the bell isn't being rung by line voltage. But then you have replaced your professionally built kit with a bit of a lash up that will probably not be legal on telecom's lines.