Where to get dreadlocks done in Berlin

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone know of any good salons in Berlin that do dreads? Yeah I know its cheaper and more authentic through a DIY, I used to do them for a mate, but I'm looking to get them done properly with some natural looking extensions/ different shades...Cheers in advance!

Posted

My wife do that work...

We live in Friedrichshain...

She charges around 30...depends if you have good vibe...

So what do you say?

Posted

fascinating topic. I have always wondered about non rasta people doing dreads ... what's the allure/purpose? I guess hairstyles don't really need a "purpose" but dreads seem so full on and require a lot of determination to grow. So, to the dread heads I ask you:

WHY mon?

Posted

dreadlocks are ick if you have to put too much artificial shit in them. IMO the "best" dreads are the ones that are done naturally and carefully, i.e. parting them neatly and twisting them from the roots onward every day. After you have solid locks you can wash them like any other hair--it is a myth that dreadlocks have to be disgusting, dirt-and-oil filled crusty turds hanging off your head.

Problem is, in general, the only people who have the right kind of hair for hygenic dreadlocks are black people. The hair can be coaxed into locking without the use of waxes and gums that attract dirt. I have seen only very rarely a non-black person with dreadlocks that look clean and well looked-after. I think this is where the stigmatism comes from... why many of us are of the opinion that dreads on white people are held together with dirt and dandruff, because many of them are.

Extensions are weird but at least you can take them out eventually.

My intention is not to judge other people's hair choices, but there is a reason that people feel dreads on non-black people are try hard-y and gross.

That said, I have seen plenty of disgusting dreadlocks on black people too :lol: take care of them, keep them clean, don't treat dreadlocks like a zero-maintenance hairdo and I'm sure many people will even admire them. ;)

Posted

I am a young black male moving to Berlin shortly and I am looking for recommendations for places where I can get my dreadlocks done at an affordable price!

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Posted

there are quite a few african shops, that do it especially in the berlin-wedding area, i would try there. my gf gets her weeve done somewhere there. im not sure bout the prices though

Posted

In college a classmate decided he wanted to stop washing his hair and grow dreads. This never materialized instead he started to smell very terribly after a couple of weeks. We finally told him to either shower or stop coming to work/class.

He finally complied and gave up on this silly idea.

Posted

your college room mate sounds like a dumb ass...

about 25/30 euro should be enough. i would suggest going to Yaam (venue) on a sunday afternoon and asking some people there where to get them done. There are loads of places that do it.

CHOCKY - I'm pretty sure dreadlocks were around before rastas were (being that rastafarianism has only existed for 80 years)

HAL9000 - get a grip on reality.

DESSA - stop reading your dreadlock facts off the internet, its actually easier for a person with naturally straight hair to maintain and clean dreadlocks.(of course if they use Wax it becomes impossible)

Posted

Fuck all of you, dreadlocks on a girl are super awesome. I fucking luuurve girls with dreads. And tattoes. And a big bag of weed. And who can play guitar. That'd be so sweet. If she had the oral prowess to down a McDonalds milkshake through the straw in under 5 seconds, that'd also be appreciated.

Fair enough, Gabrielle Anwar would look shit in dreads, as would my missus, but I've known some super sexy girls with dreads.

Posted

DESSA - stop reading your dreadlock facts off the internet, its actually easier for a person with naturally straight hair to maintain and clean dreadlocks.(of course if they use Wax it becomes impossible)

no, believe it or not, as a 28-year-old seattlite who has had at least 30 young roommates in my lifetime i have actually run into and lived with more than a few people with dreadlocks and know what i am talking about. my cousin's mom's family is from jamaica, half my family is black, i have seen both kinds and made my decision from there. ktxbai.

Posted

Anyone know of any good salons in Berlin that do dreads? Yeah I know its cheaper and more authentic through a DIY, I used to do them for a mate, but I'm looking to get them done properly with some natural looking extensions/ different shades...Cheers in advance!

How about trying Ebony & Ivory, 158 Potsdamer Strasse? Not sure how much they'll charge though, but you can find their details easily via Google. Its run by a woman from the US.

Posted

I am a young black male moving to Berlin shortly and I am looking for recommendations for places where I can get my dreadlocks done at an affordable price!

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

what do you want done to them. retwisted, interlocked, i am not a licensed hair dresser but i can hook you up. i can also help you start them.

Posted

I´t´s not about the hair, it´s about the person carrying it. I had dreads for a few years (growing them agian soon) and these never looked dirty or non treated. If you are a non clean person...your hair will be just that...not clean. If you take care of your hair it will never smell or look f***ed up. To people who don´t like them...is it your bsnss what people do with theyr head? No!

Posted

Good sectioning, decent backcombing and leaving them alone until they lock is all you need to do. They will look silly for a couple of months before tightening up before growing in length. It depends on your hair type how it will look too and whether you are prone to getting loops or not.

DO NOT use product to start dreads and do not go to anyone who will put gunk in your hair claiming it will help it dread! Wax is a no-no unless you want greasy looking dreads that never seem to knot!!! I am convinced read wax is just a marketting scam.

There are other techniques that can be done to create mature looking dreads from the start but the leaving them alone and only maintaing when absolutely necessary is the best way if you want dreads longer term.

I had lovely ever-evolving multicoloured stripey dreads nearly to my knees for some years and I can do wraps, deep cleans, dye jobs, extensions and help start them. I always sport alternative hairstyles and know a thing or two on the subject and I don't mind lending a hand or offering advice if needed. :)

And WHY must there be a profound answer to the allure surrounding dreads on white people? Dreadlocks span other cultures and aren't just limited to rastafarians!

Posted

I am a dreadlock worker, I specialize in making *clean* product free dreads on caucasion hair. I have been doing dreads for 5 years, have been doing hair in general professionally for 10 years, my methods have been used on tons of people with all kinds of different hair types with fabulous results! You can look at my portfolio at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wicked-Locks/148679258527992

I do not use wax

I use a technique involving backcombing and latch hooks to sow the dread into place.

I suggest you wash your hair frequently, and with regular maintenance your dreads can be pretty and clean!

I also can add human hair extensions, which are permanent.

Also make Synthetic Dreadlocks, for temporary dread looks.

Posted

I am growing Locs...not dreads, but very cleanly manicured Locs. I am also in the Military and will be stationed in Mannheim. Is there anyone that is certified in the area of Mannheim that can continue to twist my new Loc's and if so, how far are you from Mannheim, and what are your fee's?

Posted

I'm a bit insulted by all the ranting about dreads on here. Anyone whose dreads are dirty or smell doesn't know how to deal with them. The same goes for people who think they can get dreads by simply not looking after their hair. It takes a lot of work to maintain dreads, though less than normal hair.

I'm of German heritage with pin-straight hair and I've had dreads for 7 years. They are a great style for me because my hair in it's normal state is, as I said, pin-straight and the dreads give it volume and interest. They've also allowed my hair to get longer than I had ever achieved previously. I have no extensions and only use bees-wax and a crochet hook to keep them tidy but they go down to my knees. I consistently get complimented by strangers on the street, children and even elderly ladies who are impressed by my hair and find it quite beautiful. So just because you may have known somebody who didn't know their way around dreadlocks doesn't mean that people who have them are dirty hippies. You also don't have to be Jamaican to wear them. It's healthier, more natural and, most importantly, cheaper than perming or colouring with disgusting chemicals and is no more or less appropriate as a style than any cut you might get at the salon. It's one choice among many, nothing more.

Posted

Hi :)

I can make you solid dreadlocks, as well as extensions and deal with the coloring.

The post is quite old, so you have probably found a good offer for yourself, but

if you need e.g. dreadlock repairing, just contact me by e-mail or GG.

You can also check out my website for more detailed offer and the prices ;)

The address is: http://dreadzone.psylook.net/

Best,

Kasia

Posted

Can someone recommend a dread lock salon in Berlin? I am looking for work as a dread lock smith!

Thanks for your time!

Posted

Firstly, a related question: does anyone know anywhere in Berlin to buy dread shampoo? I'm after something without palm oil, animal products or animal testing, but if you don't know these details but have a general lead, please let me know.

Secondly, I have to comment on the impressive bigotry displayed on this thread. I can't help but wonder why those who have made offensive and judgemental posts think those of us who are simply after information could possibly care about their assanine opinions about people they know nothing about other than one aesthetic choice they have made.

And, I'm sorry to tell you, but believing that any culture does or ought to look only a certain way is, by definition, racist. One of the beautiful thing about diversity of culture is the ways in which they interact with and influence each other. And, FYI, dreadlocked hairstyles have existed in places like Africa and the Indian subcontinent since before recorded history, and I'm not at all certain there aren't precedents in ancient Europe as well. And the use of a crochet hook, currently gaining popularity in the west, is an imported technique from Thailand. (By the way, if you are interested in having dreads and have long, very straight hair (like I do) the crochet hook technique and the use of felting needles for maintenance is a good way to go.)

And lastly I think don_riina, the misogynist bigot, needs a special mention. I am a sexy woman with dreads (I can only assume you must use the word "girl" because either a, you are a pedophile or b, you find the word "woman" too empowering - shall we compare it to an adult African-American man being called "boy"?)and I like to think I speak on behalf of most us when I say you're a dick and I wouldn't have anything to do with you.

Oh, and a tip on the washing/not washing your hair topic: Whilst I wash my hair more now that I have dreads (for a variety of reasons mostly to do with the regrowth dreading well), you can easily not wash your hair, dreaded or not, if you have fairly to quite hot showers and massage your scalp thoroughly. It takes about three weeks for the oils in your scalp to normalise, then you'll have cleaner and healthier hair than if you use shampoos and conditioners with all those chemicals that are bad for you and the environment. You know, we didn't evolve as humans alongside shampoo, so it's possible to be clean, healthy and non-smelly without it.