Google announces Chrome OS

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Tonight Google announced that it has upped the ante yet again, and will release a new operating system based on Google Chrome. The new operating system, aptly named Google Chrome OS, will be an open-source operating system initially geared toward netbooks, Google announced in a press release this evening.

PC World Report

Game ON!

Posted

Just had a quick read on the BBC.

Charge of Google's light brigade (BBC News)

There will be loads of naysayers, but in my personal opinion this will be a major kick in the head for Microsoft.

Chrome OS will be priced at the level consumers like which is $0.00 and we have seen how keen 3rd parties have been to write Apps for IPhones so

I reckon there will also be 90% of the day to day stuff you need available pretty quickly.

I could see myself even buying a cheapo portable netbook in the future and have my basic stuff like email, spreadsheets, word processing etc handled remotely

by the "cloud". So if I go on holiday I can take a €200 crappy netbook with me - if it gets nicked, busted etc - doesn't matter - just pick up another one at the shops

on the way home.

Posted

Sorry, what's a netbook, is it a notebook/laptop?

Posted

Netbook is a shite specced laptop. It doesn't even try to be powerful - 'cos its only designed for internet access.

Netbook (Wikipedia)

"Cloud" computing is where everything you need sits on the remote servers (in this case Google servers). So you can access

all your programmes AND the data over the internet.

Drop the laptop in the hotel swimming pool - doesnt matter. Wanna access 1 picture on your phone - no problem.

In theory some people will say baaaaaaaaad 'cos you cannot work without an internet connection - but personally, without an internet connection I find my computer

is a useless lump of junk. In theory I could type a little bit or summat, so might work if you are someone who works with text all day (e.g. translator), but for me -

if I lose my internet connection I don't even bother trying to do any work 'cos it's just a joke. 90% of what I do needs a connection.

Posted

This Chrome OS is probably a Webtop (Web desktop), based on Chrome browser and other Google technologies like Google Gears, et al. If it is a 'WebTop', I'm not sure if that would fare well, in the market...and I'm 100% sure that it wouldn't be a hit in Germany.

Posted

I once did some playing around with the chrome browser, watching everything it sent back to google while you surfed. Its pretty scary how much data theymine from you. So, now you want me to use a complete OS from you guys? hmmmm errrr... nope

Posted

I'm 100% sure that it wouldn't be a hit in Germany.

Do you stand by that?

The Chromebook wave is coming.

After a few years testing among early adopters, they're now going mainstream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEoaw95BLcI

Posted

Has anyone bought a chromebook yet? My wife's crappy Compaq laptop is basically a goner and at the moment we're sharing my MacBook :angry:

Posted

Chrome makes sense if your primary usage is internet based. If you want a feel of the OS, you can download the open source Chromium OS and boot your machine from a USB disk. Instructions can be found here:

http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

There may be HW issues depending on your machine. Google has the chromebox/chromebook labelling to ensure that the HW works seamlessly with the OS.

The ARM based samsung chromebook is a bargain, but is sold out in Germany.

Posted

I guess if it's open source you don't have to have Google sniffing around all the time. And companies can roll it out onto desks for internal use and low maintenance.

For private users, I'm sure the future is high speed internet everywhere and no silly roaming charges or caps/throttling to data usage. But that's not everywhere yet. So I wouldn't hurry to get one.

A boring netbook might be better. Unless you want to be a pioneer.

Posted

Google unveils its first touchscreen Chromebook Pixel (Danger! $1,299.00 "order now" button)

post-7126-13616224032391.jpg

BBC Report:

The first Chrome-powered laptop, built by Samsung, went on sale in June 2011. Chrome laptops that followed were made by Acer, Lenovo and HP.

But so far, Chromebooks have had difficulties challenging Windows-powered computers, said CCS Insight analyst Geoff Blaber.

"Chromebooks have struggled for relevance to date, stuck between comparably-priced but entertainment-centric tablets - many of which run Android - and more functional PCs," he said. "[The new computer] won't transform its prospects but Google will hope it serves as a flagship device that has a halo effect for the broader portfolio." Who'll pay for a Pixel?

Google's Chromebook Pixel: An even worse idea than Windows 8

REVIEW (cnet): Brilliant touch screen, hefty price

It's thin, has good looks and good screen resolution and no caps-lock key. (Hooray!) If it was much much cheaper it'd be worth dumping Chrome OS and you've got a nice machine.

post-7126-13616224032391.jpg

Posted

If you look at the Pixel as a $1300 notebook computer then it looks overpriced, if on the other hand you look at it as a way to get 1Tb of cloud storage cheaper than you can get it from Drop-Box or Google-Drive, then it doesn't look so bad.

As far as I can see the cheapest I could get that 1Tb for three years from Dropbox would be $2385 and from Google it would be about €1800.

So if I ever happen to find a use for 1Tb of cloud storage and I can justify paying for it then I might consider buying one of these instead. Otherwise there are better options.

Even if I did ever get one of these though, it wouldn't be running Chrome-OS for long.

Posted

Stumbled upon this discussion.

There is a possibility to run Ubuntu on a Chrome OS device.

Who's this for?

Anyone who wants to run straight Linux on their Chromium OS device, and doesn't care about physical security. You're also better off having some knowledge of Linux tools and the command line in case things go funny, but it's not strictly necessary.

Pre requisites:

"You need a device running Chromium OS that has been switched to developer mode. Note that developer mode, in its default configuration, is completely insecure, so don't expect a password in your chroot to keep anyone from your data. crouton does support encrypting chroots, but the encryption is only as strong as the quality of your passphrase. Consider this your warning."

Posted

Stumbled upon this discussion.

There is a possibility to run Ubuntu on a Chrome OS device.

Pre requisites:

It's possible to run any Linux distro on a Chromebook (I've done it) but there are caveats:

- You need to run the Chrome OS kernel, You can't install a stock Linux kernel for many reasons.

- You will have problems with modules and drivers (copying over the modules from the Chrome partition might not work)

- You will have massive problems with sound and video rendering

- You will invalidate the warranty.

Posted

caveat update :)

http://www.whatthetech.info/chrubuntu-known-issues/

I see the samsung chromebook is now available for order in Germany, including Saturn. Anyone bitten yet? I'm standing on the cliff edge, waiting for a decent gust of wind.

Posted

Does anyone have the Acer Chromebook? It starts at a mere $200 USD. Just wondering how crap it is. :D I've never owned anything other than an Apple device. CA schools are now doing all most testing on Chromebooks [not sure which one], but not teaching the kids how to type. :rolleyes: My Jr is suffering under this new regime, so his summer vacation will involve homeschool typing class... I'd like to order one ASAP.

TIA

edit: OK, nevermind, decision made... Acer C720 32 GB it is. Reviews on Amazon are quite good, and I can remotely supervise everything he does on the web. B)