Ryanair's latest genius idea

119 posts in this topic

Posted

See here from the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...ling-plans.html

Ryanair last night announced plans to make passengers carry all their own luggage up to planes.

The no-frills airline wants to cut costs further by getting fliers to carry all their bags and suitcases through security departure lounges rather than checking them in.

They can carry aboard one piece of hand luggage, but leave any other baggage beside the aircraft to be loaded into the hold. They then pick it up the same way on arrival.

Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary said: 'You can bring unlimited bags as long as you can get them through security.

'What it means is no more waiting at the carousel, no more losing your bags, no more wasting your life in over-priced airport terminals.'

The move - mooted for next spring - would mean a plane would need just one baggage handler, instead of five, he said.

I just love it - what's next I wonder - fly it yourself??? You'd be better off walking!

And how are you going to get all your luggage through security? Even if it's going in the hold they won't let the sharps and liquids through if you're carrying it all the way to the plane...

Nothing about Ryanair surprises me any more!

Posted

they just come up with an idea a week to keep their name in the paper as the whacky "we'll do anything to save money" airline

twats

Posted

I've never flown Ryanair and from all the stories I hear from people who have, I think I never will.

Posted

Pikey air sucks but its good for a quick weekend pissup trip to dublin when you aren't packing anything substantial.

Posted

as just heard on radio 2 with Terry Wogan, somebody mailed in with what are they gonna call themselves soon " Can Air "

well it made me piss

Posted

Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary said: 'You can bring unlimited bags as long as you can get them through security.

The move - mooted for next spring - would mean a plane would need just one baggage handler, instead of five, he said.

But what Michael O'Leary doesn't realize yet is that he will need another plane to carry all the luggage for the people

that have become professional cargo carrying couriers.

Posted

The problem here is the Xray machine on a normal security check the in & out holes seem to be a bit small for my normal luggage. Me thinks he has thought this one through...

Posted

And what happens to the weight restrictions then? Ryanair surely make loads from charging for the excess weight that people pack in the check-in luggage but there would be no more weighing, would there?

Posted

they better not implement that til after my flight in August, as I have already paid 40euro for baggagecheckin! :angry:

Posted

Big deal , you carry the baggage to the airport , you carry it on the plane , think it's awesome that airports (Dublin especially) can no longer hold the airlines to ransom.

Posted

They can carry aboard one piece of hand luggage, but leave any other baggage beside the aircraft to be loaded into the hold.

Does Ryanair generally fly on time? Because it surely would cause delays if people had to carry their luggage to the plane: people carrying bulky or heavy luggage across the tarmac will slow everyone behind them down, and a pile of bags abandoned in a heap on the tarmac is hardly going to be shifted onto the aircraft very quickly by one baggage handler.

Posted

So no more liquids in your bags as they won't get through security.

And as pointed out about the 'getting through security' but will prove problematic. Are the authorities really going to be happy about having to x-ray 2/3 bags a person. They would end up having to add more staff/machines.

Some merit to it as you know you'll get your bag but plenty of holes in the idea as well.

Perhaps he will offer both options?

Scum of the earth he is.

Posted

And what happens to the weight restrictions then? Ryanair surely make loads from charging for the excess weight that people pack in the check-in luggage but there would be no more weighing, would there?

2 Issues I see here, firstly people have become a bit more educated so normally they weigh bags at home especially when dealing with budget airlines (once bitten, twice shy). Secondly I assume airlines make good money in the hold from cargo & the variable passenger baggage can make planning for cargo a bit more difficult.

I assume this is why budget airlines get you to pre-book your hold baggage, not a bad thing if it does help reduce costs.

I'm just waiting for the first day of this and the number of xray machines that get clogged up with the bag that was 'small enough' but needed 'a little push'. What the passengers didn't make it to the gate on time, with no luggage in the hold they could fly off & blame the passenger for not allowing enough time. Pure class...

Posted

The shops will lose out as no one will want to go shopping with a heavy bag weighing them down.

Is thereenough space in the airport to accomodate people wandering around with a load of luggage? As for how long will it then take ot get through security? be there 3 hours before...

Posted

Now if they offered a Tesco's right after you went through security...

Posted

Maybe next they will be asking people to purchase and bring along a 5L drum of aviation fuel to help defray rising fuel costs?

Just pop your container down by the wing as you wheel your suitcase across the apron and a mechanic will just hoist them up on to the wing and pour them in to the tanks.

Premium super mind, none of your cheap unleaded stuff thankyou!

Posted

Secondly I assume airlines make good money in the hold from cargo & the variable passenger baggage can make planning for cargo a bit more difficult.

Budget airlines don't usually have belly cargo. Handling cargo would jeapordise their turnaround times. Plus if you're dealing with cargo you need the staff to process it, from booking to pick-up, to warehousing to manifesting, to offloading, customs clearance through to delivery. Doesn't fit with the Low Cost model.

Ryanair did look at it, but no handling company would touch them because of the turnaround times they specified. Or, probably more accurately, the penalties O'Leary would impose if the planes were held up.

Posted

:D

Fantastic. Love the idea of the O'Leary airport

Posted

Latest Ryan Air news,

"Ryan Air today anounced that electricity generating pedals will be installed in the footwells of all seats as of 1st July. Company god Michael O'leary explained; "...with the rise in landing surcharges introduced by the airports, we have decided to take matters into our own hands and recharge our aircrafts electronics through the implementation of treadmills rather than having to plug into the airports power and be charged for it. Of course we understand that some people dont have legs, so we've contacted the innovation team from the OLOC ( one laptop one child ) programme to provide us with hand generators."

When asked about whether this was a global policy, Mr O'leary answered "yes, this will apply to all passengers and crew, who if in the process of carrying out their duties have to leave the pedals, a coin operated over-ride system would cut in to make up for the loss of voltage"

And Ryan Airs plans for the future, Mr O'leary told us in strictest confidence that "..we're actually thinking of doing away with airports alltogether and just parachuting the passengers and their luggage out at their destination, for a parachute fee of course", the other idea we're toying with is using centralised airports to cut costs. We could easily imagine having just one airport called O'leary field somewhere in belgium which would cater for all european traffic, for example a passenger wanting to fly from Munich to Dublin say would just have to make their way to O'leary field Munich, load their bags on the plane and then take them off again once we changed the name to O'leary field Dublin. That way we dont even need to have real planes"

Love it. But you realise that if you have to parachute in, then he will probably charge for the pre-flight "how to use your parachute" instruction.

As Wursten said, this sounds like another one of M O'Leary's publicity efforts in the genre of all publicity is good publicity.